PDA

View Full Version : Surprise! Fox Chicago & Southtown screw up "Crumbling Cell" story

Cellview22
03-20-2005, 08:48 AM
I was just watching Walter Jacobson on Fox and he said 'coming up, chunks of concrete falling at US Cellular Field, bad news for the South Side'.

I wasn't expecting any breaking news but just decided to keep it to see what he'd say.

They showed pictures of the Concourse at the Cell and construction workers..looked like old video with the old roof to me...and he goes on to say 'as you remember chunks of concrete fell at Wrigley last year, now chunks of concrete are falling at the Cell, could the facade at the Cell be falling apart..not to worry though says the White Sox..no one will be in real danger'. They didn't mention anything about the fundamentals, they didn't mention anything positive, you'd think the media in Chicago would report something positive about the Sox.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-20-2005, 08:59 AM
Wow. Somebody watches Channel 32's news?
:?:

Believe me, if there was *real* news to report, WFLD would be the LAST PLACE you would find it. When a single solitary crumb-sized piece of concrete falls onto the Sox Park concourse, it will be headlines across Chicago... starting with a certain victimized newspaper.
:cool:

Kogs35
03-20-2005, 10:58 AM
the same walter jacobson who was arrested for drunk driving. the same walter jacobson who cried and the flubbers lost in 03, and oh yeah the same walter jacobson who was forced out of the 9pm news slot. no 1 in there right mind cares about the stupid old man who still thinks he is god of the local tv anchors. he just just another whiney flub fan who will always be a :dtroll:

Brian26
03-20-2005, 11:01 AM
the same walter jacobson who was arrested for drunk driving. :dtroll:

Yeah...the same Walter Jacobson who was arrested for DUI while he was picking up a pizza from the carry-out counter. What a cubby-loving dope.

NSSoxFan
03-20-2005, 12:22 PM
Yeah...the same Walter Jacobson who was arrested for DUI while he was picking up a pizza from the carry-out counter. What a cubby-loving dope.

Yea...the same Walter Jacobson who was told by a Chicago cop not to get in his car because it was obvious to him that he was drunk, only to get arrested by the same cop who saw him driving away from the pizza place. The same Jacobson went on to argue like a little ScRub loving child that he is. And oh yea!, the same Jacobson who got relegated to having a show at 8 o'clock in the morning on Sundays on Fox.

Idiot.

jake27
03-20-2005, 12:24 PM
if it was from the old roof, couldnt it be falling from them taking it down last year :?:

Frank the Tank
03-20-2005, 12:35 PM
Follow up report:

Walter Jacobson was too drunk to realize that the reason concrete is falling at the cell is because contractors are making renovations

NSSoxFan
03-20-2005, 12:48 PM
http://164.109.57.253//dynamic/images/stories/news/walter.jpg

Just look at him, that's all I have to say...

DumpJerry
03-20-2005, 12:48 PM
............the same Skippy Jacobson who was once a Flub bat boy when he was even littler.....

soxtalker
03-20-2005, 01:43 PM
I think that the critical issue here is whether there actually is a problem with concrete falling. If it isn't, this will probably fade from the media rather quickly. If it is, there are bigger problems down the road. Hopefully, it is a problem that isn't hard to fix (and doesn't cost the team much). Also, hopefully, the Sox can learn from the Cubs and figure a better way to handle the PR.

NSSoxFan
03-20-2005, 01:47 PM
I think that the critical issue here is whether there actually is a problem with concrete falling. If it isn't, this will probably fade from the media rather quickly. If it is, there are bigger problems down the road. Hopefully, it is a problem that isn't hard to fix (and doesn't cost the team much). Also, hopefully, the Sox can learn from the Cubs and figure a better way to handle the PR.

I have been trying to find a story about this on Chicago news websites and I have found ZERO. You'd think there would be one on Fox Chicago's site, but ironically enough there is nothing to be found...

Chisox003
03-20-2005, 01:49 PM
the same walter jacobson who was arrested for drunk driving. the same walter jacobson who cried and the flubbers lost in 03, and oh yeah the same walter jacobson who was forced out of the 9pm news slot. no 1 in there right mind cares about the stupid old man who still thinks he is god of the local tv anchors. he just just another whiney flub fan who will always be a :dtroll:

The same walter jacobson who accused the 2000 White Sox of celebrating too much in Minnesota after clinching the division, and being poor influences with their champagne celebration? THIS GUYS A STROKE!!! Here walter, have another one, weasle :gulp:

HomeFish
03-20-2005, 02:36 PM
He got kicked off the 9 pm news?

Wow, that must have been a major coup. Anyone have details?

dcb33
03-20-2005, 03:57 PM
Did Dane Placko help write this story?

NSSoxFan
03-20-2005, 03:58 PM
He got kicked off the 9 pm news?

Wow, that must have been a major coup. Anyone have details?

This is pretty old news. The reasoning behind it was basically from the DUI that we have been talking about. He only appears on the 9 pm news occasionally to do "Perspective" segments. Also, he has a one-hour Sunday morning show at 8 am called "Perspective with Walter Jacobson".

Fenway
03-20-2005, 04:53 PM
Wow. Somebody watches Channel 32's news?
:?:

Believe me, if there was *real* news to report, WFLD would be the LAST PLACE you would find it. When a single solitary crumb-sized piece of concrete falls onto the Sox Park concourse, it will be headlines across Chicago... starting with a certain victimized newspaper.
:cool:

I see Fox Chicago is held in the same high regard as FOX 25 in Boston and FOX 5 in New York :cool:

Fox is supposed to be so hip, so whay do they have the worst websites for their stations??

http://www.fox5ny.com/index2.shtml New York
http://www.fox25.com Boston
http://www.foxchicago.com

Brian26
03-20-2005, 08:34 PM
Also, he has a one-hour Sunday morning show at 8 am called "Perspective with Walter Jacobson".

If I'm up at 8am on a Sunday, the last place I'm going to be is in front of a tv with Fox 32 on.

NSSoxFan
03-20-2005, 08:35 PM
If I'm up at 8am on a Sunday, the last place I'm going to be is in front of a tv with Fox 32 on.

No Kidding.

Anyways, I was listening to the Score this evening and they did confirm the story and it is from the Daily Southtown.

Brian26
03-20-2005, 08:38 PM
No Kidding.

Anyways, I was listening to the Score this evening and they did confirm the story

Well, there's a bastion of credibility. Did George Offman have enough time to stop masturbating to Nomar highlight videos to report the story?

FightingBillini
03-20-2005, 11:10 PM
Here is the link to the Southtown story:

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dsindex/19-ds1.htm

Its great that we are now seeing such great journalism out of the Southtown. There are a few cracks in the exterior concrete, and that is it. That is apparently normal in prefab concrete, but I guess that's what JR gets for going cheap and using it instead of brick. This article didn't need to be written. It raised a question about the safety of the Cell out of nowhere and then went on to say it wasn't an issue. All this will do is give fodder to Flub fans who read the headline and not the article. I can hear it now "Haha, your stadium is falling apart, too. At least ours is old, it has a reason to fall apart. If you don't get shot at the Prison Cell you will get hit with concrete." What a joke.

On the bright side, it quoted the ISFA facilities director as saying the ramps could be problematic in the future. I would imagine that they will be replaced with ramps that are visually appealing.:bandance: :bandance:

jackbrohamer
03-21-2005, 09:31 AM
I saw the same story on WGN's TV news show this morning. Big surprise.

irish rover
03-25-2005, 03:56 PM
a coob fan told me about this of course I did mention that the key word in the article is "pried" unlike falling concrete at the cesspool

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dsnews/227nd1.htm

PaleHoseGeorge
03-25-2005, 04:01 PM
a coob fan told me about this of course I did mention that the key word in the article is "pried" unlike falling concrete at the cesspool

Not only is your friend an idiot, but this non-story has been debunked for days.

My recommendation is to start hanging with a better quality of people. You're hanging with dopes.

MeanFish
03-25-2005, 04:02 PM
Not only is your friend an idiot, but this non-story has been debunked for days.

My recommendation is to start hanging with a better quality of people. You're hanging with dopes.

Ouch.

Fenway
03-25-2005, 04:06 PM
I took a look at FOX News Chicago

:o:

2 anchors that ignore each other

breaking news that was a complete farce ( translation our live truck just happened to be a block away )

It isn't as blood and guts as New York or Boston but

the absolute worst is the FOX station in Miami

http://wsvnmedia.wsvn.com/adserver_images/wsvn_banner.jpg