PDA

View Full Version : Will the White Sox make another mid season trade this year?

gogosoxtimebaby
03-19-2005, 08:20 PM
i doubt it.

Fake Chet Lemon
03-19-2005, 08:26 PM
No brainer, YES. Since when does Kenny sit on his hands? The fans are going to show up, so Uncle Jerry will release a few coins by the trade deadline.

guillen4life13
03-19-2005, 08:28 PM
i doubt it.

I don't doubt it at all. If they're doing badly, I wouldn't be surprised if they dump salary (Konerko). If they're doing well, they'll make a move because at least one person is going to underperform (I'm not just saying this to be pessimistic, but I just don't see each and every player on any team playing to their potential).

Weakest Link/Most Likely to be traded or replaced (if Sox are doing well): Joe Crede.

Salary dump potential: Konerko

MeanFish
03-19-2005, 08:34 PM
In the not entirely unlikely scenario that Crede or Iguchi struggles, all five of our pitchers perform fairly well out of the gate, and one of them gets hurt and then returns just before the trade deadline with McCarthy having established himself as a quality starter, I could see a starting pitcher sent to a team like the Orioles (who might have offense keeping them in the race and for whom a good starter would put them over the top) for a Brian Roberts type player if their backup infielders are hitting well.

SomebodyToldMe
03-19-2005, 08:34 PM
Nope. Alomar retired today.

SOX ADDICT '73
03-19-2005, 08:35 PM
Weakest Link/Most Likely to be traded or replaced (if Sox are doing well): Joe Crede.
If Crede doesn't get his act together and fast he's as good as gone, if for no other reason than for his choice in agents:
:borass:
"I've got at least three other teams waiting to pay my man Joe the big bucks. Who are they? Uhh..."

SOX ADDICT '73
03-19-2005, 08:36 PM
Nope. Alomar retired today.
And we've already got Carl.:D:

gogosoxtimebaby
03-19-2005, 08:37 PM
well if crede struggles then we bring up fields right? and iguchi won't struggle so i don't see us making any more moves

gogosoxtimebaby
03-19-2005, 08:39 PM
well i wish we won't have any problems.

MeanFish
03-19-2005, 08:40 PM
well if crede struggles then we bring up fields right? and iguchi won't struggle so i don't see us making any more moves

Fields shouldn't even be an option yet. He's nowhere near MLB-ready.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-19-2005, 08:42 PM
?????

:threadblows:

Just about every team makes a move around July. This is just a no-brainer that's going to expand this website's bandwidth for no reason.

Joosh
03-19-2005, 08:53 PM
And we've already got Carl.:D:

Kenny would probably trade him for a bag of balls to the Devil Rays, and send a few pitching prospects over for him just so he could say he made one.

But I'm sure Kenny will come up with some way to get Robbie back.

:KW

"If he were to join us, he would become a powerful allie."

http://pda.dk/pda-classic/pdalt/pdart/darth-vader.gif

"So be it... Williams. But I will not tolerate failure once more."

:KW

"He will join us, or die, Master."

Dan H
03-19-2005, 09:26 PM
They will make a move at mid-season especially if the other team picks up the tab and pays the player's salary.

PAPChiSox729
03-19-2005, 09:33 PM
Umm YES. If the team falls out of contention, then we may dump salary. If we are in contention, KW will go after that one player to put us over the top. Either way, Kenny will be active.

mdep524
03-20-2005, 02:56 AM
It's really late at night, so excuse my excessive deep pink. The Marlins fall out of contention and trade the Sox Mike Lowell and AJ Burnett for Joe Crede, Sean Tracey and Chris Young. :drool:

OK, now back to your regularly-scheduled reality.

munchman33
03-20-2005, 10:26 AM
If someone in the rotation goes down or is ineffective, and McCarthy isn't ready, both Ben Sheets and, to a lesser extent, A.J. Burnett could be out there.

DumpJerry
03-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Ok, this thread is proof we need to get to April 4th too sweet.
TWO MORE WEEKS!:bandance:

PAPChiSox729
03-20-2005, 01:02 PM
If someone in the rotation goes down or is ineffective, and McCarthy isn't ready, both Ben Sheets and, to a lesser extent, A.J. Burnett could be out there.

McCarthy is ready. And trading for Sheets would cost a lot, not that that has ever stopped KW before. Having Sheets would be awesome, and it would hurt me to see Garland or Contreras replaced. Burnett probably won't be available since the Marlins will probably be in contention this year.

DumpJerry
03-20-2005, 01:05 PM
McCarthy is ready. And trading for Sheets would cost a lot, not that that has ever stopped KW before. Having Sheets would be awesome, and it would hurt me to see Garland or Contreras replaced. Burnett probably won't be available since the Marlins will probably be in contention this year.
I'm not sure if BMac is ready today. He had limited number of starts last year in the minors. Our experience last year when we brought The Next Best Thing several times (Munoz, Grilli, etc.) was not pleasurable. Let's take our time with BMac, he should be ready before the season is over if a starter goes down....

munchman33
03-20-2005, 01:06 PM

It isn't a stretch to say that any deal we'd make for Sheets would have to include both McCarthy and Brian Anderson. To start. That said, Sheets would instantly become our ace and could very well be the best pitcher in the league for the next few years.

jordan23ventura
03-20-2005, 06:18 PM
It isn't a stretch to say that any deal we'd make for Sheets would have to include both McCarthy and Brian Anderson. To start. That said, Sheets would instantly become our ace and could very well be the best pitcher in the league for the next few years.

I doubt Sheets will be available as I think he is still arbitration eligible, isn't he? Burnett is definately going to be available if the Marlins are anything more then 5 games out after the Allstar break because he most surely will want to test the market after this last offseason. But, regardless, with his injury history and with what Beinfest would want, no way.

As for a trade for Sheets, just about everyone needed pitching last year (can you ever have enough pitching?) and we were able to snag Freddy for a near ML-ready second round draft pick, and underdeveloped ML catcher, and minor league second baseman with power. I can see something along the lines of Garland or Marte (for salary purposes) + Anderson + Honel/Diaz and maybe even Gio (which I think would be overpaying). That's a quality major league starter or closer/set-up man, a potential 5-tool centerfielder that went in the 1st round, another first round pick that still has the opportunity to rebound from injury, and a second round LHP with some good stuff. If that's not good enough, then I don't know what is. But there's no way Kenny trades McCarthy with Buerhle and Garcia coming off the books after 2007 and El Duque and Contreras coming off after 2006.

Palehose13
03-20-2005, 07:03 PM
Umm YES. If the team falls out of contention, then we may dump salary. If we are in contention, KW will go after that one player to put us over the top. Either way, Kenny will be active.

I agree with you 100%. KW likes to be active and if Crede struggles, I see him going after a third baseman at the trade deadline. As an optimist, I think they won't be looking at a salry dump, butlooking to improve to go deep into the playoffs.

CleeFan101
03-20-2005, 07:33 PM
I doubt Sheets will be available as I think he is still arbitration eligible, isn't he? Burnett is definately going to be available if the Marlins are anything more then 5 games out after the Allstar break because he most surely will want to test the market after this last offseason. But, regardless, with his injury history and with what Beinfest would want, no way.

Im pretty sure, not positive but almost, that Sheets becomes a FA after this year and i really dont see the brew crew resigning him with so many other holes to fill.

As far as what it would take to get him.... Id say Garland, Joe Crede, Brian Anderson, and Kris Honel might get the talking started.

Whitesox029
03-20-2005, 07:43 PM
I'm not sure if BMac is ready today. He had limited number of starts last year in the minors. Our experience last year when we brought The Next Best Thing several times (Munoz, Grilli, etc.) was not pleasurable. Let's take our time with BMac, he should be ready before the season is over if a starter goes down....
Speaking of B-Mac...is it me or is his fly open in that picture in your sig?

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-20-2005, 07:48 PM
Haha..I noticed that as well when the picture was in the headline on whitesox.com. I don't know how the heck I noticed it...:redface:

DumpJerry
03-20-2005, 11:19 PM
That's what I thought when I downloaded the pic. It is the end of his belt hanging down.
BTW, I'm not sure why the pig does not show up on some of my posts. Any ideas?

Whitesox029
03-20-2005, 11:19 PM
Haha..I noticed that as well when the picture was in the headline on whitesox.com. I don't know how the heck I noticed it...:redface:
It's not exactly hidden in that photo.
EDIT:
That's what I thought when I downloaded the pic. It is the end of his belt hanging down.
You're right, now that I look at it that way. It's a dead ringer for an open fly though.

gosox41
03-21-2005, 05:24 AM
i doubt it.

Unless theyre running away with the division and everyone is 100% healthy, I can almost gaurantee a trade will be made.

Bob