PDA

View Full Version : Changes in MLB

Joosh
03-19-2005, 06:41 PM
Because of the different problems that plague MLB baseball today, many people offer different solutions to these problems. Now, not including a tougher Steriod Testing Policy, what would you change in MLB and why?

Daver
03-19-2005, 06:50 PM
They could start with an autonomous commisioner.

I nominate Jesse Ventura.

Clembasbal
03-19-2005, 07:46 PM
They could start with an autonomous commisioner.

I nominate Jesse Ventura.

Cause he did such a bad up job in Minnesota? No teal...I really just want to know.

I say go with the world doping agency, or whatever the name is of the one the Olympics go to. And have them do the tests and have them test for everything. Blood tests are key.

MeanFish
03-19-2005, 08:08 PM
In a move I suspect will be unpopular with those around here, I'd put into play the abolishment of the DH with a five-year grace period to give AL teams a fair amount of time to adjust. I'd also nix interleague play and move some teams around within the current divisional structure to make current interleague rivalries meaningful while simultaneously cutting down on travel costs. Back to the DH rule, I'd make it standard during the playoffs for both leagues. It just wouldn't happen during the regular season.

I'd put the Mets in the AL East and the Devil Rays in the NL East. I'd put the White Sox in the NL Central (don't kill me, please, it just seems like it would be fun having the Cardinals, Brewers and Cubs all in the same division with us) and the Reds in the AL Central. I'd put the A's in the NL West and the Dodgers in the AL West.

I'd also make the ASG an exhibition again, and let managers pick the teams since fans have proven inept at doing so.

That's all, nothing major :)

FightingBillini
03-19-2005, 08:10 PM
I'd also make the ASG an exhibition again, and let managers pick the teams since fans have proven inept at doing so.
And Joe Torre hasn't?!

MeanFish
03-19-2005, 08:12 PM
And Joe Torre hasn't?!

Touche. In an amendment to the previous statement about picking the ASG, I think that there should be equal representation for each division and that managers from each division vote on the players who will represent their division. Then, all the previous WS winner gets to do is decide who plays.

Joosh
03-19-2005, 08:22 PM
My Idea for a Change was a complete Division Realignment, focusing on Geographical Location.

------
Metro Division:
New York Mets
New York Yankees
Boston Red Sox
Philidelphia Phillies
Pittsburgh Pirates
------

------
Atlantic Division:
Baltimore Orioles
Washington Nationals
Atlanta Braves
Florida Marlins
Tampa Bay Devil Rays
------

------
Great Lakes Division:
Toronto Blue Jays
Cleveland Indians
Cincinatti Reds
Detroit Tigers
Milwaukee Brewers
------

------
Midwest Division:
Chicago White Sox
Chicago Cubs
Kansas City Royals
St. Louis Cardinals
Minnisota Twins
------

------
Pacific Division:
Seattle Mariners
Oakland Athletics
LA Angels of Anahiem
LA Dodgers
San Fransisco Giants
------

------
Desert Division:
Arizona Dimondbacks
Houston Astros
Texas Rangers
San Diego Padres
Colorado Rockies
------

In addition to the re-aligned divisions, it would be essential to change the DH rule. In my plan, the DH rule would be used in all games, in all divisions.

I'll post more on this soon.

Lip Man 1
03-19-2005, 09:14 PM
I agree the biggest thing needed is an unbiased leader, I also agree with the idea of complete re-alignment which Fay Vincent tried to do originally in 1991 and was completely ripped apart by the Cubs and Cardinals. They were going to be moved into the Western Division with Atlanta and Cincinnati going East.

It was the beginning of the end for Vincent as the Cubs swore they'd get even. They were looking at it completely from the standpoint of their TV interest. More games in the West (L.A. , S.F. , S.D.) meant later start times in Chicago and less they could charge for advertising rates. Stanton Cook was the Tribune guy who was the most vocal at the time.

Bill White, then the N.L. President guaranteed that he'd get the West Coast clubs to move up their start time 30 minutes, so that games would start at 8:30 Chicago time but it was still no-go.

As far as the DH, either way is fine with me but the idea of two leagues playing baseball under two different rules is crazy. Pick one or the other and go with it.

Lip

Daver
03-19-2005, 09:26 PM
Cause he did such a bad up job in Minnesota? No teal...I really just want to know.

Minnesota was in much better shape when he left office than it was before he took office.

Whitesox029
03-19-2005, 11:01 PM
Joosh that's an interesting idea, but it's very radical, mixing the two leagues. People wouldn't go for that. How would the World Series work?!?!

ma-gaga
03-19-2005, 11:11 PM
Minnesota was in much better shape when he left office than it was before he took office.

I would agree with this. I voted for the guy and would have voted for him again if he went for re-election.

But he made a bunch of really bad publicity decisions while in office, and would have been killed if he ran for re-election. That and the politicians in this state simply refused to work with him in passing a legitimate long-term budget. All that being said, he got a lot done in his 4 years. Most of it good, despite the grandstanding of the entrenched politicians.

Just don't mention the "XFL" gig...

ChiSoxRowand
03-19-2005, 11:41 PM
The only thing that I can think of that I would do is go back to the way interleague play was a few years ago. Have the AL central play the NL central, AL west play NL West etc. I wish we got to play the Brewers and Cards every year.

Clembasbal
03-20-2005, 12:57 AM
I would agree with this. I voted for the guy and would have voted for him again if he went for re-election.

But he made a bunch of really bad publicity decisions while in office, and would have been killed if he ran for re-election. That and the politicians in this state simply refused to work with him in passing a legitimate long-term budget. All that being said, he got a lot done in his 4 years. Most of it good, despite the grandstanding of the entrenched politicians.

Just don't mention the "XFL" gig...

Gotcha, all I remember is that he was voted in and that he did the XFL announcing gig. That and he is the "Body"

Joosh
03-20-2005, 01:13 AM
Joosh that's an interesting idea, but it's very radical, mixing the two leagues. People wouldn't go for that. How would the World Series work?!?!

You'd have the 6 Division Winners, plus 2 Wild Card Teams (2 Teams w/ best record that did not win division. Tournament style. I don't have any specifics in mind. But I'll work on that.

mdep524
03-20-2005, 03:00 AM
------
Metro Division:
New York Mets
New York Yankees
Boston Red Sox
Philidelphia Phillies
Pittsburgh Pirates
------ Poor Pittsburgh! LOL!! If they thought it was bad now, they would never even have a glimmer of hope with the big spenders in that division!

StillMissOzzie
03-20-2005, 04:23 AM
Poor Pittsburgh! LOL!! If they thought it was bad now, they would never even have a glimmer of hope with the big spenders in that division!

Good point. I like the idea of a complete divisional overhaul, but without REAL revenue sharing, some of these realignment plans look pretty grim. So how would you movers & shakers address the renue question?

SMO
:gulp:

hose
03-20-2005, 07:46 AM
Have both leagues either use the DH all the time or shelf it.

Raise the mound.

Have an official scorer assigned with a umpire crew and travel with them.

MLB takes over all television revenue and distributes the money evenly to all clubs.

Leave local radio rights to the clubs.

MLB takes all satellite radio revenue and distributes the money evenly to all teams.

MLB establishes a fund for financing all new ball parks.

mdep524
03-20-2005, 10:11 AM
Good point. I like the idea of a complete divisional overhaul, but without REAL revenue sharing, some of these realignment plans look pretty grim. So how would you movers & shakers address the renue question? Oh boy...here we go... Short answer: Increased revenue sharing and a salary floor, no cap. Long answer: Ummm.....

Joosh
03-20-2005, 01:03 PM
Oh boy...here we go... Short answer: Increased revenue sharing and a salary floor, no cap. Long answer: Ummm.....

There ya go. With that we would level the playing field. Although the yanks may find more money. A cap might be a good idea. It could always be changed to match current salary, similar to the NBA.

MIgrenade
03-20-2005, 04:15 PM
Division re-allignment would be cool but same city teams shouldn't play in the same one. There's something more special about the chance of a subway world series. I know it doesn't happen often, but I can't imagine constantly playing the Cubs. Too many ups and downs for this guy to take.