PDA

View Full Version : Deep thoughts by Ed Farmer

rainbow6
03-19-2005, 01:21 PM
In the ninth inning of yesterday's game, Jon Garland was in a bases-loaded, one out jam. Ed Farmer put his thinking cap on and pointed out, as he has countless times before, that issuing a walk at this juncture would be less-harmful than giving up a grand slam.

I wonder if he uses a calculator to figure these things out.

Luke

Clembasbal
03-19-2005, 08:44 PM
In the ninth inning of yesterday's game, Jon Garland was in a bases-loaded, one out jam. Ed Farmer put his thinking cap on and pointed out, as he has countless times before, that issuing a walk at this juncture would be less-harmful than giving up a grand slam.

Luke

Yeah, but then they bases are still loaded...is this like a retorical statement that really has no meaning/sense?

MeanFish
03-19-2005, 08:57 PM
Yeah, but then they bases are still loaded...is this like a retorical statement that really has no meaning/sense?

Farmer = MLB's version of John Madden?

:farmer
"The team that gets the win today will be the one with the most runs on the scoreboard"

elrod
03-19-2005, 09:05 PM
But at least you get to hear about the homily in Cleveland.

zach074
03-19-2005, 09:42 PM
Farmer is entertaining that is all that matters to me.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-19-2005, 10:03 PM
Farmer is entertaining that is all that matters to me.

:chunks

what does he entertain you with? his attempts to dumb down the listener? give me a break!

Johnny Mostil
03-19-2005, 10:08 PM

I would have guessed an abacus . . .

Blueprint1
03-20-2005, 04:09 AM
I want to hear about how he got his first car again. I think he can only tell that story about 3-5 times per season.

veeter
03-20-2005, 09:58 AM
Ed Farmer is unlistenable.

Fredsox
03-20-2005, 10:08 AM
I don't mind him when he sticks to baseball. He gets to me when he starts moralizing and preaching. I can go to church and get that, or if I'm really desperate, ask my wife her opinion on something.

elrod
03-20-2005, 10:33 AM
I don't mind him when he sticks to baseball. He gets to me when he starts moralizing and preaching. I can go to church and get that, or if I'm really desperate, ask my wife her opinion on something.

I agree. I really don't mind hearing him talk baseball. Sometimes his embittered sarcasm is right on. If he stuck to it then I wouldn't mind him.

A.T. Money
03-20-2005, 11:43 AM
Never liked Farmer. He's strange. He seems to have some kind of California reference every game.

TornLabrum
03-20-2005, 11:48 AM
Never liked Farmer. He's strange. He seems to have some kind of California reference every game.

Well, he DOES live there!

I like Ed Farmer, especially his deadpan delivery. My only criticism of him so far this year is that he was spending a lot of time telling stories about walking to St. Rita, etc. the first spring training game of the year. I'd say there is a lot more to talk about at that point than later in the season.

A.T. Money
03-20-2005, 11:51 AM
Well, he DOES live there!

I like Ed Farmer, especially his deadpan delivery. My only criticism of him so far this year is that he was spending a lot of time telling stories about walking to St. Rita, etc. the first spring training game of the year. I'd say there is a lot more to talk about at that point than later in the season.

I know he lives there, I'm just saying most of us don't care. :smile:

BeerHandle
03-20-2005, 10:34 PM
Farmer is entertaining that is all that matters to me. People say he is a blow-hard; however, I find him and Rooney very entertaining!

C-Dawg
03-20-2005, 10:42 PM
I like Ed Farmer, especially his deadpan delivery.

Exactly! He's the perfect counterpoint to John Rooney; that's what makes them successful in my opinion.

I prefer Rooney & Farmer over Hawk & D.J. - and they are CERTAINLY worlds better than Santo & the other guy.

flo-B-flo
03-20-2005, 10:42 PM

Luke The heading of the thread, shouldn't it be in teal? I mean, Ed Farmer - deep thoughts??

tebman
03-20-2005, 10:53 PM
I prefer Rooney & Farmer over Hawk & D.J. - and they are CERTAINLY worlds better than Santo & the other guy.

Amen to that! Jeez, that guy Hughes sounds like a SNL parody of a sports announcer with his ROLLing voice and emPHATic enunciAtion.

Give me John & Ed and their street-savvy conversation any day!

- tebman

WhiteSoxFan84
03-21-2005, 01:27 AM
Exactly! He's the perfect counterpoint to John Rooney; that's what makes them successful in my opinion.

First of all, this is my...

800TH POST!!
Countdown to # 1,000 is on!

Second.....
Rooney and Farmer are better than Hawk & D.J..... No. It's a tight one but Hawk & D.J. get 51% of the votes. The only reason Rooney & Farmer get 49% is because of Rooney. Comparing Hawk and Rooney it would be something like this....
Hawk << Rooney
Comparing Farmer and DJ would be something like this...
DJ >>>> Farmer
...it's not that DJ is so good, it's just that Farmer is so bad.

Now turning my attention to Santo and Hughes.... here's what I like about them; Hughes tells me something I don't know almost every game. Like the other day I'm listening to the Cubs/Brewers game on my way home (WSCR and WMVP were on break, didn't want to hear music) and Hughes talks about the players the Brewers lost and mentioned Craig Counsel going to Arizona (I knew about that) and that Arizona plans to start him at 2B and use him as their leadoff man. He mentioned something else as well that I forgot. And Santo.... it's fun listening to him making a fool out of himself. And let's not forget, it's just great radio when the Cubs are losing.

dcb33
03-21-2005, 01:50 AM
It always cracks me up whenever they talk about that stupid bridge beyond left field at TEP. It's the same story every time.