PDA

View Full Version : EUREKA! NY Times lauds Frank Thomas! (Cubune still MIA)

Vernam
03-19-2005, 08:43 AM
They simply ignored the fact that Thomas was even there, simply referring to him having DENIED Steroid use, AS IF THATS WHY HE WAS THERE.

I agree that the "crawl" on ESPN -- stating Sosa, Palmeiro and Thomas denied using steroids -- was exactly the sort of thing Frank and his advisors must have feared. Pure guilt-by-association.

I watched a lot of the replayed hearing on CSPAN and, so far as I could tell, the committee completely ignored Frank after his very brief opening statement. Maybe that was a relief to him, but it was also a disservice. According to this glowing article in the New York Times, he sat there through almost the entire hearing: http://nytimes.com/2005/03/19/sports/baseball/19thomas.html

The press was also lazy in covering McGwire (an easy target because of his weepy evasions) and ignoring Sosa's finely crafted statement (which didn't rule out his having used substances that aren't "illegal"). It's ironic that Sammy used "English is my second language" as a tactic to avoid answering tough questions, yet his prepared statement sounded like he sure knows how to pick a lawyer. McGwire's advisors, on the other hand, had him very poorly prepared.

Was it just me, or does Sammy call them "asteroids?" As in, "I've never taken illegal asteroids."

VC

MeanFish
03-19-2005, 09:20 AM
Many times in the Spanish language, an English word is ported over simply by adding the letter "E" to the front of a word and in other cases making it more "Spanishy". In this case, the Spanish variant of Steroids is "Esteroides" which to an English speaker might sound like Asteroids :)

Ol' No. 2
03-19-2005, 10:15 AM
Many times in the Spanish language, an English word is ported over simply by adding the letter "E" to the front of a word and in other cases making it more "Spanishy". In this case, the Spanish variant of Steroids is "Esteroides" which to an English speaker might sound like Asteroids :)That's what he WANTED you to think. That Sammy is a pretty cagey guy.:cool:

:nandrolone I never took illegal asteroids.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-19-2005, 10:19 AM
That's what he WANTED you to think. That Sammy is a pretty cagey guy.

Taking moon rocks is illegal in 50 states. I'm sure taking asteroids is illegal, too.

:cool:

DrCrawdad
03-19-2005, 10:52 AM
That's what he WANTED you to think. That Sammy is a pretty cagey guy.:cool:

I heard Boers and Bernstein talking about how Sammy's comments before Congress may have been worded (dare I say parsed) so that when it comes out that he's used steroids, Sammy's statements before Congress can't be held against him.

:nandrolone
'I never used illegal steroids...The steroids I used were legal, although I used them illegally.'

voodoochile
03-19-2005, 11:40 AM
No no no....

He said he's never played illegal asteroids. In effect denying he owns a pirated version of the once popular video game. :tongue:

Ol' No. 2
03-19-2005, 01:16 PM
Taking moon rocks is illegal in 50 states. I'm sure taking asteroids is illegal, too.

:cool:But are moon rocks illegal in the Dominican Republic?

Lip Man 1
03-19-2005, 01:24 PM
Crawdad:

Phil Rogers brought up the exact same point as you when he was on Nightline Thursday night. He caught the semantical difference as you did.

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
03-19-2005, 01:30 PM
Crawdad:

Phil Rogers brought up the exact same point as you when he was on Nightline Thursday night. He caught the semantical difference as you did.

Lip

Too bad he didn't share his great insights with his Chicago readers, eh Lip? THEY ONLY PAY HIS ****ING SALARY!

:mad:

tebman
03-19-2005, 08:25 PM
That's what he WANTED you to think. That Sammy is a pretty cagey guy.:cool:

:rolling:

- tebman

Lip Man 1
03-19-2005, 09:55 PM
George:

For what it's worth..Phil said the same thing in his Tribune column on Friday. I posted that section dealing with the 'Sosa semantics' on another message thread.

You and he caught it before me obviously. I didn't realize it until watching Nightline then afterwards I went through the tape of the hearings and it was clearly noticed.

Lip