PDA

View Full Version : Roberto Alomar To Retire

DrCrawdad
03-19-2005, 07:16 AM
Roberto Alomar went home after playing only one inning Friday night and the Tampa Bay Devil Rays said they would have an announcement concerning his future today, leading to speculation that the 12-time All-Star was planning to retire.

Alomar made two errors at second base and struck out looking in his only at-bat during a 5-4 loss to the Toronto Blue Jays, his first game since March 10 because of a back sprain. Tampa Bay manager Lou Piniella said Alomar told him he was having trouble seeing.

''Robbie and I talked during the ballgame,'' Devil Rays general manager Chuck LaMar said. ''Health-wise has been a real concern this year and I am sure we will have a statement and Robbie will tomorrow about his future with us.''

Kenny Williams is now in Florida trying to talk Robbie out of this decision. Kenny is explaining his plan to reaquire Sandy and Robbie at the trading deadline.

SOXSINCE'70
03-19-2005, 07:43 AM
Kenny Williams is now in Florida trying to talk Robbie out of this decision. Kenny is explaining his plan to reaquire Sandy and Robbie at the trading deadline.

Shouldn't this be in teal??:dunno: :dunno:

PAPChiSox729
03-19-2005, 07:56 AM

Let's sure hope so!

DrCrawdad
03-19-2005, 09:13 AM

I hope so, but I'm not sure myself.

jake27
03-19-2005, 09:19 AM
kenny and roberto are flying so much under the rader he is going to retire from the d-rays and then the sox will pick him up later in the year

:bundy
i dont care if he keeps playing or not, just as long as its not with the white sox

FedEx227
03-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Good...the D-Rays put one of their top prospects in the minors (BJ Upton) to keep Roberto Alomar...I think even Robbie thought that was pathetic.

no worries though we'll have him by the All-Star break.

jackbrohamer
03-19-2005, 09:52 AM
He pretty much looked retired the last couple of years.

Brian26
03-19-2005, 09:52 AM
Good...the D-Rays put one of their top prospects in the minors (BJ Upton) to keep Roberto Alomar...I think even Robbie thought that was pathetic.

no worries though we'll have him by the All-Star break.

Upton is going to play short for them, right? He looks like a star in the making.

Robbie had a pretty decent career until he signed with the Mets. I guess now the question is, did he put up HOF numbers?

RedPinStripes
03-19-2005, 10:00 AM
Robby was the best second baseman i ever saw play, but his time is up.

mdep524
03-19-2005, 11:23 AM
Robby was the best second baseman i ever saw play, but his time is up. Man, I know his career is somewhat clouded in our eyes by his White Sox appearances and the running joke about KW trading for him, but do you guys remember how good he was with the Indians? And before than with Toronto? He was an unstoppable hitter, basestealer, and was amazing with the glove to boot. Congrats on a HOF career, Roby.

Deadguy
03-19-2005, 11:38 AM
He should have retired 2 or 3 years ago. He's got a WS ring and he'll be in the HOF, but he'll just embarass himself if he continues for the sake of reaching 3,000 hits.

DrCrawdad
03-19-2005, 11:51 AM
http://www.disturbingauctions.com/gfx/assclown.jpg
Robbie was ok, bu he was no Ryne Sandburg.

hempsox
03-19-2005, 12:33 PM
Robbie was ok, bu he was no Ryne Sandburg.

This looks like a job for the....

:tealpolice:

jabrch
03-19-2005, 01:03 PM
Roberto Alomar - 2B - TB

Devil Rays announced the retirement of second baseman Roberto Alomar.
Alomar has certainly done more harm than good to his team's chances the last three years, but the 12-time All-Star still belongs in the Hall of Fame as one of the top 10 second basemen of all-time. He ends his career with a .300/.371/.443 line and 210 homers, 1,503 runs scored, 1,134 RBI and 474 stolen bases in 17 seasons. It's pretty sad, but both he and Danny Bautista have helped the Rays with their decisions today. Jorge Cantu was a better bet than Alomar for this year and it looks like he'll be a regular now.

Well, this ruins KW's master plan now, doesn't it?

Seriously - Robbie was one of the best at his position for 15 years. I hope he gets strong consideration for the HOF. My take is that he was no less dominant than Ryne Sandberg. Ryno got in on his 3rd ballot. I'm assuming similar results for Robbie.

SoxSpeed22
03-19-2005, 01:32 PM
Upton is going to play short for them, right? He looks like a star in the making.

Robbie had a pretty decent career until he signed with the Mets. I guess now the question is, did he put up HOF numbers? In 2002, Steve Phillips and his Master Plan involved trading for stars and good players such as Roberto Alomar, Jeromy Burnitz, Roger Cedeno, Pedro Astacio and Mo Vaughn. Of course we all know how that turned out (:rolling: :neener:). Alomar was traded without wanting to go to the Mets and that was basically the end of him, because he stopped caring. He has HOF numbers, 2 WS rings, 12 All-stars, 300 BA, 2700 hits, 10 Gold gloves. That should be enough.

hempsox
03-19-2005, 01:42 PM
My thoughts on Robby A for the HOF

From 1991 thru 2001 he was THE A.L. second baseman. He did everything at the plate and on the bases and was a great fielder to boot. I remember hating how he and Vizquel could clinic a team with fielding. He could hit 1st thru 3rd in your lineup during his prime. I think that I jumped up and down at the age of 25 when he was traded to the Mets and I knew that the Sox wouldn't have to face him anymore. (My future wife thought I was a bit of a nuts about the Sox before this but this confirmed everything). If he would have declined gradually...would have been a first ballot but now he'll prolly go in on his forth try.

DrCrawdad
03-19-2005, 01:50 PM
This looks like a job for the....

:tealpolice:

That was Assclown speaking, so IMHO no teal was needed officer.

:)

Baby Fisk
03-20-2005, 10:51 AM
Wow, just wow. It was dignity after all that sent Alomar into retirement. I thought he'd string it out until the last stupid GM in baseball was willing to pay him to put on a uniform. An unglorious ending, to be sure, but at least he finally realized it was time to go.

Not sure if Alomar is a lock for the HoF, and his reputation took a huge beating when he spit in an umpire's face. But for all his personality flaws, I'll never forget that Alomar was nice enough to sign an autograph and pose for a photo with a rambunctious young Baby Fisk in Florida when I was just a young pup. Thanks Robbie. :cool:

Jerome
03-20-2005, 01:14 PM
The Devil Rays are probably pretty angry about this. It means that they will not have aquired Brandon McCarthy sometime around July 31, as they originally planned when they signed Alomar.

No need to alert the teal police. This is what I like to call semi-teal, as I am not being 100% sarcastic.

FedEx227
03-20-2005, 02:04 PM
Yeah Upton is going to play short, the only problem is hes not that great at defense :(

also Bautista retired from the D-Rays, thats also good it allows the Devil Rays to bring their other great rookie Joey Gathright up.

I like this whole veterans letting young guys actually play deal.