PDA

View Full Version : McGwire is better than the rest

cburns
03-19-2005, 01:40 AM
After watching the Congressional hearings and everything, I have to say that at least McGwire wasn't committing perjury and lying to the public. Yeah, he codemned himself in the public's eye, but at least he was being honest and not lying to the public. You really think Sosa wasn't juicing? At least McGwire had the guts to not lie.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-19-2005, 08:16 AM
After watching the Congressional hearings and everything, I have to say that at least McGwire wasn't committing perjury and lying to the public. Yeah, he codemned himself in the public's eye, but at least he was being honest and not lying to the public. You really think Sosa wasn't juicing? At least McGwire had the guts to not lie.

Yeah, you're right. He just stonewalled. That's much better.

McGwire is guilty as sin. He wouldn't even offer his opinion whether steroids was cheating. He wouldn't even reassure that congressman's daughter that he played the game right.

Yeah, McGwire is a real stand up guy, much better than the rest.

:kukoo:

Fredsox
03-19-2005, 08:30 AM
I think I believed Palmeiro. He was pretty definitive in his statement. Sosa, of course, wrapped his denial using the word "illegal". As steroids and hormones are legal when prescribed he thinks he has some semi-plausible deniability. McGwire is, of course, as guilty of cheating as is Canseco & Sosa.

Too bad Schilling spouted the company-line though. He had a real opportunity to do some good but he wrapped himself in "we have this under control and things aren't that bad", which is clearly not the case.

bigfoot
03-19-2005, 08:45 AM
Will McGwire(or the charity) be forced to return the prize money he won at the "made-for-TV golf skills competition" last year?

PaleHoseGeorge
03-19-2005, 08:45 AM
I think I believed Palmeiro. He was pretty definitive in his statement.

Next to Canseco, Palmeiro definitely put on the best performance of the panelists seated at the table. I really wish Frank Thomas could have participated because I believe (unlike others here) that his candor on this subject would have emboldened the congressmen to really drop the hammer on some of these other cheats and frauds who were trying to weasel their way through this... particularly Sosa.

I think it's interesting that Palmeiro's finger-wagging denial has been widely compared to Bill Clinton's blatant lie regarding his relationship with Monica Lewinski. We'll just have to wait and see whether his story holds up better than Bill's.

Ol' No. 2
03-19-2005, 09:54 AM
I think I believed Palmeiro. He was pretty definitive in his statement. Sosa, of course, wrapped his denial using the word "illegal". As steroids and hormones are legal when prescribed he thinks he has some semi-plausible deniability. McGwire is, of course, as guilty of cheating as is Canseco & Sosa.

Too bad Schilling spouted the company-line though. He had a real opportunity to do some good but he wrapped himself in "we have this under control and things aren't that bad", which is clearly not the case.Truth is not related to how strongly you make the statement. We'll see.

jake27
03-19-2005, 10:20 AM

its hard to lie if all you say is "my attorney advised me...." and "no comment":rolleyes:

voodoochile
03-19-2005, 11:47 AM
Next to Canseco, Palmeiro definitely put on the best performance of the panelists seated at the table. I really wish Frank Thomas could have participated because I believe (unlike others here) that his candor on this subject would have emboldened the congressmen to really drop the hammer on some of these other cheats and frauds who were trying to weasel their way through this... particularly Sosa.

I think it's interesting that Palmeiro's finger-wagging denial has been widely compared to Bill Clinton's blatant lie regarding his relationship with Monica Lewinski. We'll just have to wait and see whether his story holds up better than Bill's.

I honestly believe that is why he wasn't in DC. I bet the union pushed HARD to have him do the video conference thing just so that wouldn't happen. I bet he received all sorts of unsolicited advice from "friends" in high places NOT to be the sole guy there who was going to blow the cover off of things.

It makes me wonder that the panel didn't ask more questions of him if he was there all day. Was the fix in? Was this indeed nothing more than a dog and pony show?

Maybe they just didn't want to get into the speculation aspect of it all - they certainly avoided it with the other players and since that is all Frank could offer, they just let him be.

flo-B-flo
03-19-2005, 11:49 AM
I think it's interesting that Palmeiro's finger-wagging denial has been widely compared to Bill Clinton's blatant lie regarding his relationship with Monica Lewinski. We'll just have to wait and see whether his story holds up better than Bill's. Gosh this is exactly what I thought when he did that. None of them even looked at Conseco at all during the lie-o-rama. Curt the "shill" was the worst of all. I think his ego and mouth are on steroids.:rolleyes:

cburns
03-19-2005, 04:51 PM
The point I'm trying to make is, at least McGwire didn't lie under oath like the rest of the players.

SOX ADDICT '73
03-19-2005, 05:00 PM
The point I'm trying to make is, at least McGwire didn't lie under oath like the rest of the players.
Okay, but what you wrote was this:
...at least he was being honest...
He wasn't being honest. He wasn't lying, but he wasn't telling the truth either.

Fenway
03-19-2005, 05:18 PM

No but where he hurt himself badly was when he was asked if using steriods was cheating and he replied

"It's not for me to determine."

He also doesn't want to talk about the past. Well then I guess he doesn't care about Cooperstown.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/03/19/suddenly_98_unbelievable/

By Dan Shaughnessy, Globe Columnist | March 19, 2005
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- I was in St. Louis for that final weekend in 1998. I wrote glowing stories about Mark McGwire when he hit five homers in three games to finish with an astounding 70 homers. I even bought a $125 McGwire replica jersey for my 10-year-old son.

Flight #24
03-19-2005, 05:34 PM
I honestly believe that is why he wasn't in DC. I bet the union pushed HARD to have him do the video conference thing just so that wouldn't happen. I bet he received all sorts of unsolicited advice from "friends" in high places NOT to be the sole guy there who was going to blow the cover off of things.

It makes me wonder that the panel didn't ask more questions of him if he was there all day. Was the fix in? Was this indeed nothing more than a dog and pony show?

Maybe they just didn't want to get into the speculation aspect of it all - they certainly avoided it with the other players and since that is all Frank could offer, they just let him be.

What I read was that they lost the feed, but he sat around waiting all day in case it came back. So they didn't really have the opportunity to ask him questions. Based on his comments since then, I'd bet that they wish they'd had him there - he seems like the only guy to say 1)there's a problem and 2)getting tough is the only solution rather than declining comment like McLiar or spouting idiocies that contradict ones earlier statements like Schilling.

Infallible
03-19-2005, 05:48 PM
They're all liars with the exception of Jose'

TomParrish79
03-19-2005, 06:28 PM
Well when it comes down to it, McGwire will be the only one that wont be prosecuted for purgery. The rest of them lied through their teeth under oath. I dont care if Palmeiro pointed both his index fingers at the committee when he was reading his statement. And Sosa came off as the moron that he is with every answer he gave. All that was missing was Bonds there saying he didnt know what cheating was.

cburns
03-19-2005, 06:56 PM
Well when it comes down to it, McGwire will be the only one that wont be prosecuted for purgery. The rest of them lied through their teeth under oath. I dont care if Palmeiro pointed both his index fingers at the committee when he was reading his statement. And Sosa came off as the moron that he is with every answer he gave. All that was missing was Bonds there saying he didnt know what cheating was.

Exactly.