PDA

View Full Version : What's the lineup when Frank returns?

SOX ADDICT '73
03-19-2005, 12:54 AM
I know a lot of this will be determined by how these guys play in the month of April, but after watching today's game it's looking like Crazy Carl is the best offensive player we've got. He's smacking doubles and homers, driving in lots of runs, and running well on the basepaths. Once Frank is back, assuming he's the Frank we all know and love, what happens to Carl? If he continues to produce like this (and he's shown throughout his career that he can when healthy) we can't just put him in as DH every once in a while when Frank needs a day off. Has there been any discussion about some kind of 4-man outfield rotation? Carl can play every OF position, though Podsednik would probably play CF when Rowand is off and vice versa. This may sound like a ridiculous idea, as it would limit the at-bats for Pods, A-Row, and Dye, but I hate the thought of a potential .300/30/100 guy riding the bench. Who knows, maybe they'd all benefit from less wear-and-tear over the course of the season.

Brian26
03-19-2005, 10:40 AM
Maybe Carl can play third base or catch.

FedEx227
03-19-2005, 10:47 AM
as long as their isn't dinosaurs behind the plate...

SOX ADDICT '73
03-19-2005, 04:13 PM
as long as their isn't dinosaurs behind the plate...
:?: I know Carl's crazy and all, but does he have an irrational fear of dinosaurs?

TimoPerez
03-19-2005, 04:18 PM
:?: I know Carl's crazy and all, but does he have an irrational fear of dinosaurs?

He doesn't believe in them. They weren't in the Bible, so they aren't real, according to him.

chisoxmike
03-19-2005, 04:29 PM
Maybe something like this?

1. Pods
2. Iguchi
3. Thomas
4. Konerko
5. Dye
6. Rowand
7. Uribe
8. AJ
9. Crede

jake27
03-19-2005, 04:37 PM
if crazy carl does well, mabye he can be used as trade bait

SoxFan76
03-19-2005, 04:41 PM
if crazy carl does well, mabye he can be used as trade bait

Interesting.....Let's bring on the trade rumors!!! Jabroni, think of a new sig, quick....oh sorry. hahahaha

nodiggity59
03-19-2005, 05:14 PM
I think we should keep Carl unless we can get an everyday 3rd basemen. Carl's not gonna bring a starter worth what he'll do and our lineup is solid elsewhere. Maybe if we got a 5th starter and a solid reliever I'd think about it, but I don't expect Carl to fetch that. The only way I see us being better off without him is if he snags us a nice 3B cause I expect little from Crede.

jabrch
03-19-2005, 05:46 PM
Here's a few thoughts...
1) Podsednik stunk - badly last year. So if Carl is in the .300/30/100/100 form, and Pods stinks again, Carl plays LF.

2) Dye hasn't played a full season since 2001, so he should be getting a day off fairly frequently - there is playing time there for him in RF.

3) There is nothing wrong with giving PK an occasional day off. Carl isn't a 1B, but Frank could, possibly, play the position. (not sure how his foot would handle that stress...)

4) Rowand doesn't need to play 162 games. I want him in as much as possible, but against a really tough righty you could sit Aaron, start Pods in CF and have Carl hitting lefty in LF.

I wouldn't mind seeing him get 300 ABs or so combining 1-4.

5) Someone always needs a switch hitting OF who can play all 3 spots. He will have some trade value if he is in the .300/30/100/100. If not for a 3B or a SP who will help us today, he could net us a top tier prospect for the future - if we have no use for him because Frank/PK/Dye/Row/Pods are all maximizing their output.

PAPChiSox729
03-19-2005, 06:13 PM
It will be interesting when Frank gets back. I think that if Dye or Pods faulters, then you will see Carl get a considerable amount of playing time.

Ol' No. 2
03-19-2005, 07:08 PM
He doesn't believe in them. They weren't in the Bible, so they aren't real, according to him.But Adam and Eve were real. At least people have SEEN them.:o:

jordan23ventura
03-19-2005, 08:46 PM
Here's a few thoughts...
5) Someone always needs a switch hitting OF who can play all 3 spots. He will have some trade value if he is in the .300/30/100/100. If not for a 3B or a SP who will help us today, he could net us a top tier prospect for the future - if we have no use for him because Frank/PK/Dye/Row/Pods are all maximizing their output.

If Carl puts up those kind of numbers there is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to trade him. I believe the Sox have an option on him for '06 anyway. If Dye falters, Rowand or Pods disappoint, Frank goes down, etc. do you really want to bring up Borchard or Anderson/Sweeney early? Carl's a big part of this squad this year. Besides, he looks good in black.

elrod
03-19-2005, 09:02 PM
He doesn't believe in them. They weren't in the Bible, so they aren't real, according to him.

And apparently an alarming number of Americans agree with him - or at least don't think the earth has been around very long.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/19/national/19imax.html?oref=login

:?:

gogosoxtimebaby
03-19-2005, 09:15 PM
well i'll tell ya right now Carl is gunna hit 30 and frank never gets off the bench.

Fake Chet Lemon
03-19-2005, 09:16 PM
Good teams need depth. Switch hitters with power are great to have around. Keep Carl, he'll get enough at bats with Rowand running into walls and Dye's injury history. And once Frank gets back, he may not be out of the woods. Carl can't go anywhere.

gogosoxtimebaby
03-19-2005, 09:18 PM
well frank needs to get healthy first.

TimoPerez
03-19-2005, 10:42 PM
But Adam and Eve were real. At least people have SEEN them.:o:

You would have to take that up with Mr. Everett. A cool as it sounds, I am in no position to say who was real or not.

TimoPerez
03-19-2005, 10:46 PM
And apparently an alarming number of Americans agree with him - or at least don't think the earth has been around very long.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/19/national/19imax.html?oref=login

:?:

Ahh. The Everett theory. Can't live with it, can't live without it.

Joosh
03-19-2005, 11:00 PM

Carl Everret wasn't in the bible, so Carl Everett must not be real.

Maybe thats why Sammy Soso says he doesn't use steroids. They're not in the bible, so he must think they're not real.

SOX ADDICT '73
03-19-2005, 11:00 PM
:hijacked:
What the hell happened here? How did a thread about what to do with our surplus of talent turn into the Scopes Monkey Trial? And where is Clarence Darrow when we need him?

California Sox
03-19-2005, 11:05 PM
I think Carl is going to be our leftfielder and Pods is going to be a fourth outfielder. Carl has had a great spring. If he continues to swing the bat like this, there is no way you can bench him.

PAPChiSox729
03-19-2005, 11:33 PM
I think Carl is going to be our leftfielder and Pods is going to be a fourth outfielder. Carl has had a great spring. If he continues to swing the bat like this, there is no way you can bench him.

I don't think Ozzie will abandon Pods that easily, especially since the Sox play 'Ozzieball'. But if Pods reverts to his '04 form, then seeing Carl in LF may not be such a bad thing.

TimoPerez
03-20-2005, 04:39 PM
Carl Everret wasn't in the bible, so Carl Everett must not be real.

Maybe thats why Sammy Soso says he doesn't use steroids. They're not in the bible, so he must think they're not real.

Stop making me think so hard.:tongue: Just ask "Omniscient Everett.":cool: