PDA

View Full Version : Internet rumor: Corked bat suicide ?

balke
03-18-2005, 10:41 PM
I know this sounds freaking ridiculous, and I could be laughed off the board for asking, but I'm trying to settle a bet here that I think is b.s.

Did the guy who made Sosa's corked bat commit suicide? My god that just sounds ridiculous. But I need to know if anyone has ever heard that before.

Clembasbal
03-19-2005, 07:49 PM
I know this sounds freaking ridiculous, and I could be laughed off the board for asking, but I'm trying to settle a bet here that I think is b.s.

Did the guy who made Sosa's corked bat commit suicide? My god that just sounds ridiculous. But I need to know if anyone has ever heard that before.

Wouldn't that mean that Shammy is dead then?

Then who is playing the role of Sosa lately?

Infallible
03-19-2005, 09:05 PM
Actually I'm thinking you are referring to the bat boy, who Sammy shamelessly pinned the blame on......and no I haven't heard that rumor yet.

Viva Medias B's
03-19-2005, 09:45 PM
At least at the time, wasn't the Cubs batboy one of assistant coach Jack Lopez's underage sons?

balke
03-19-2005, 11:15 PM
My buddy thinks he read in the paper at some point in time that a Dominican made his corked bat, then felt guilty and committed suicide.

We were dogging him all night about it cause he still thinks its true. I don't think it is. We looked everywhere for an article, I figure that would be big news.

I admit, when not drinking, this is a horrible thread if it is true. But again, I don't think it is. Figured someone here would know if it happened.

Wsoxmike59
03-26-2005, 06:51 AM

I haven't heard anything about it balke, I'd file that one away with the Napolean Dynamite overdosed and Leave It To Beaver star, J. Mathers was killed in Viet Nam rumors.

Uncle_Patrick
03-26-2005, 09:11 AM

I've actually sort of heard this rumor before. Supposedly, someone in the Dominican made Sammy's bats. When the cork incident happened, this guy was supposedly very distraught. I never heard anything about suicide, though.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-26-2005, 09:39 AM
Everytime I think this board has finally topped out on silliness, I'm proven wrong again.

CubKilla
03-26-2005, 12:01 PM
We looked everywhere for an article, I figure that would be big news.

In Chicago? Where ShamME was the man who saved baseball at the time?

Not a chance. They joined in defending ShamME, that piece of garbage, and some actually bought every line of BS Sham's spouted.

Then, when he leaves the Cubs (LITERALLY!) and goes to Baltimore, you get what should have been printed by the Chicago media, if they were responsible, the day after Sham's was ejected for cheating. Rather, we got those articles 1.5 years after the fact.

The Racehorse
03-26-2005, 01:03 PM
This thread reminds me of the rumor regarding Bill Buckner after the 1986 WS.

Word had that Billy Bucks was sooooo distraught after game six, he tried to commit suicide after getting hammered at a local watering hole in Boston’s Kenmore district.

Well, the Buckaroo decided he was leaving the planet and staggered out onto the Boston Turnpike at 03:19 A.M. As wobbly as he was, he turned to face oncoming traffic. Bleary-eyed Billy supposedly saw the grill of an 18-wheeler Peterbilt truck heading right at him at 79mph…

.... which promptly went right between his legs.