PDA

View Full Version : Gload Article

DaleJRFan
03-18-2005, 06:15 PM
Linkie (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050307&content_id=959553&vkey=spt2005gamer&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

I'm one of the ignorant baseball fans posting here who thinks that Gload has proven he can/should start. I liked Gload the more I got to see him last season, as long as he wasn't in right field. But as long as good ol' Paulie is still here (thank goodness!) Ross is still #10 fielder.

Gload shows his feet are on the ground and knows his role, BENCH PLAYER. I also think this is a reflection of the coaching staff, Ozzie and KW. Lots of other players would have expected a starting spot after putting up his 2004 numbers (321 / 7HR / 44RBI in 234AB).

I guess that makes him a grinder! :)

chisox06
03-18-2005, 07:03 PM
Linkie (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050307&content_id=959553&vkey=spt2005gamer&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

I'm one of the ignorant baseball fans posting here who thinks that Gload has proven he can/should start. I liked Gload the more I got to see him last season, as long as he wasn't in right field. But as long as good ol' Paulie is still here (thank goodness!) Ross is still #10 fielder.

Gload shows his feet are on the ground and knows his role, BENCH PLAYER. I also think this is a reflection of the coaching staff, Ozzie and KW. Lots of other players would have expected a starting spot after putting up his 2004 numbers (321 / 7HR / 44RBI in 234AB).

I guess that makes him a grinder! :)

I've always been a big supporter of Gload, although I think Im in the minority around here. He's a nice luxury to have coming off the bench.

DrCrawdad
03-18-2005, 07:16 PM
I've always been a big supporter of Gload, although I think Im in the minority around here. He's a nice luxury to have coming off the bench.

I'm big fan of The Gloadinator!

HITMEN OF 77
03-18-2005, 07:16 PM
I'm a big fan of Gload as well. He if can continue to do what he did last year as a bench/starter that would be awesome. The guy can straight up hit.

hempsox
03-18-2005, 08:53 PM
I have to sound off on this one also.

He plays RF, LF, CF, and 1B oh an btw can hit off the bench.

He's like Jeff Leifer only he can actually play multiple positions and can hit! Where was he a few years ago?

Hempsox

Shorty1983
03-18-2005, 09:34 PM
I'm big fan of The Gloadinator!

http://images5.theimagehosting.com/Gloadinator.gif

A. Cavatica
03-18-2005, 10:12 PM
I like Gload too, and (several times) put forth the unpopular argument that we should trade Konerko, use his salary to fill several other holes, and live with Gload at first.

Of course, the Sox did almost that, except they traded Carlos Lee instead.

With Everett playing regularly, Gload is now the lefthanded power threat on the bench. And he's a little bit miscast in that role. I'm worried that his roster spot might be at risk!

By now, LTP was supposed to be the lefthanded anchor of this lineup. And with his shorter swing, Cub-killing home run, and $5 million signing bonus, you know he's making the Sox brass wonder if he's turned it around. Another good week and he might be a threat to either Timo or Gload.

DaleJRFan
03-18-2005, 10:48 PM
I am probably the biggest Gload fan here. I hate seeing him settle for being the #10 guy, but he still has A LOT to prove. I'd buy a jersey, but I'm afraid they'll trade for some high profile player at the allstar break who will end up buying the #17 from Ross and I'll be stuck with a dated jersey :cool:

I already made my sign for Sox/Indians game 4/7 "LET ROSS PLAY"

Look for me in section 143 row 23!

:)

DaleJRFan
03-18-2005, 10:50 PM
By now, LTP was supposed to be the lefthanded anchor of this lineup. And with his shorter swing, Cub-killing home run, and $5 million signing bonus, you know he's making the Sox brass wonder if he's turned it around. Another good week and he might be a threat to either Timo or Gload.

Unfortunately, I think we'll see LTP at AAA on opening day. I do think he's really turned it around, as you said. Played outstanding defense today and had a big clutch blast.

This has been said before, but it is a nice feeling, in a way, worrying about these solid, good players not making the team. We're deep!! I'm sure the south siders wish they had Gload back!

:bandance:

A. Cavatica
03-18-2005, 10:52 PM
Unfortunately, I think we'll see LTP at AAA on opening day. I do think he's really turned it around, as you said.

Let me be clear -- I don't think he's turned it around. I said he's making the Sox wonder if he's turning it around. I am glad to see his trade value going up, and I hope we get something good for him. Maybe Seattle would part with Jeremy Reed.

DaleJRFan
03-18-2005, 10:53 PM
Let me be clear -- I don't think he's turned it around. I said he's making the Sox wonder if he's turning it around. I am glad to see his trade value going up, and I hope we get something good for him. Maybe Seattle would part with Jeremy Reed.

haha...

or maybe Miguel Olivo

SOX ADDICT '73
03-18-2005, 11:02 PM
Gload seems like a nice guy (met him at SoxFest), and he certainly gets the job done on the field, but one play will forever define him in my eyes. It was last September 22 against the Twins, the day after they clinched in our house. Everyone was still talking about Hunter's bulldozing of Burke being the turning point for both teams. Gload was on 2B, and Crede singled out to Hunter in CF. As Gload rounded third, the entire stadium rose to its feet, waiting for payback, for retribution, for at least a moral victory of sorts. Basically, we were all waiting for Gload to lay out Henry Blanco, and if he could manage to score a run in the process, then yeah, that would be nice too. Instead, what we saw can best be described as the move Roger Dorn made after getting plunked between the shoulder blades in Major League. Rather than lower his shoulder, Ross made like the Twins' catcher had cooties as he danced and tip-toed around the plate, getting tagged easily on the good throw by Hunter. Not exactly material for the "Win...or Die Trying" TV spots. After that candy-a** play, Gload is fortunate to still be on this team; that is, if Ozzie is to be believed regarding why CLee had to go.

Norberto7
03-19-2005, 12:00 AM
Gload seems like a nice guy (met him at SoxFest), and he certainly gets the job done on the field, but one play will forever define him in my eyes. It was last September 22 against the Twins, the day after they clinched in our house. Everyone was still talking about Hunter's bulldozing of Burke being the turning point for both teams. Gload was on 2B, and Crede singled out to Hunter in CF. As Gload rounded third, the entire stadium rose to its feet, waiting for payback, for retribution, for at least a moral victory of sorts. Basically, we were all waiting for Gload to lay out Henry Blanco, and if he could manage to score a run in the process, then yeah, that would be nice too. Instead, what we saw can best be described as the move Roger Dorn made after getting plunked between the shoulder blades in Major League. Rather than lower his shoulder, Ross made like the Twins' catcher had cooties as he danced and tip-toed around the plate, getting tagged easily on the good throw by Hunter. Not exactly material for the "Win...or Die Trying" TV spots. After that candy-a** play, Gload is fortunate to still be on this team; that is, if Ozzie is to be believed regarding why CLee had to go.

I thought I was going to have to be the first to rain on the Gload parade, but, SoxAddict '73, you have paved the way. And, it is for the exact same play of which you speak. I was at that game, and everyone saw the whole thing developing a mile away, just as you mentioned. Well, the air totally went out of the crowd after that little jig he did at the plate. Even the old ladies behind me, who resembled some sort of Golden Girls ensemble and gossiped about whatever and whomever all game long, wondered why he didn't have the nuts to run the catcher over. It'll take a quite a lot of pinch hits to make some people, myself included, forget about that. It was so lame, it just reminded me of the poor kid who gives up his lunch money as soon as he sees the bully coming to save himself the trouble of getting beat up. Sorry, Ross, yours is one bandwagon I'm not going to be hopping on.

Shorty1983
03-19-2005, 12:54 AM
I'm pretty sure he got alot of lip for that one incident, but you can't knock him on just that play. That's like saying Carlos Lee was traded because he didn't slide hard or try to knock over Corey Koskie when he had the chance. Gload plays excite defense and swings the bat alot better than our everday starters.

PAPChiSox729
03-19-2005, 08:18 AM
Gload is a good player and a nice luxury to have coming off the bench. But he knows his role is bench player. I don't think that he is ready to take over as a starting 1B on this team. Yes, he did put up good numbers but I think he would have more value with this team as a back up. Besides, Konerko isn't that bad anyways.

Ol' No. 2
03-19-2005, 09:03 AM
I have to sound off on this one also.

He plays RF, LF, CF, and 1B oh an btw can hit off the bench.

He's like Jeff Leifer only he can actually play multiple positions and can hit! Where was he a few years ago?

HempsoxI can play RF, LF and CF too. Just not real well. Same with Gload. I don't EVER want to see him playing OF again.

jake27
03-19-2005, 09:16 AM
i really like gload and if he ever had to start (for a whole season) i think we could get .280 27 hr 90 rbi - ish. but with konerko and thomas, hes going to be nothing but a uy off the bench. but with konerko in the last year of his contract, who knows about next year

SpammySosa
03-19-2005, 09:26 AM
i really like gload and if he ever had to start (for a whole season) i think we could get .280 27 hr 90 rbi - ish. but with konerko and thomas, hes going to be nothing but a uy off the bench. but with konerko in the last year of his contract, who knows about next year

:?: WOW,that is the biggest swig of Gload Kool-Aid yet.

Fake Chet Lemon
03-19-2005, 08:43 PM
If Frank has a MONSTER season, he'll get the paper, Konerko probably won't :whiner: and Gload will be our starting first baseman next year.

house215
03-20-2005, 01:08 AM
I like Ross Gload a lot but I'm happy that we still have Paulie this season starting over at first. Ross is a great guy to have coming off the bench but I wouldn't want him out there everyday.

Mohoney
03-20-2005, 01:56 AM
I can play RF, LF and CF too. Just not real well. Same with Gload. I don't EVER want to see him playing OF again.

Thank you for perfectly summing this up. Gload is a 1B, and only a 1B.

34 Inch Stick
03-21-2005, 07:12 AM
I am going to quickly leave this thread before I get a contact high. It sounds like you guys got the good stuff though, so party on.