PDA

View Full Version : 2 for 2: Sox/Flubs Postgame thread (Mar. 18)

I want Mags back
03-18-2005, 05:15 PM
Sox win 11-8. Pitching wasnt so hot, since the flubs managed to get 8 off us (El Duque 5in. Garland 4) But it is always good to beat the north siders

baseball_fanatic
03-18-2005, 05:20 PM
While it is always good to get the win, the pitching performances by El Duque and Garland are troubling. Is it too early to be worried? While I want to enjoy the win over the Cubbies, I am concerned that our fourth and fifth starters did not look good at all.

SOX ADDICT '73
03-18-2005, 05:31 PM
While it is always good to get the win, the pitching performances by El Duque and Garland are troubling. Is it too early to be worried? While I want to enjoy the win over the Cubbies, I am concerned that our fourth and fifth starters did not look good at all.
Correction: Third and fifth starters. Yipes.

StillMissOzzie
03-18-2005, 05:36 PM
I don't care how meaningless these games are. I don't care if it's Sox minor leaguers vs. sCrUB minor leaguers. I just enjoying beating the sCrUBS any time, every time.

SMO
:gulp:

NonetheLoaiza
03-18-2005, 05:38 PM
Not to nitpick...I believe the final was 11-9.

But I agree...a win over the Cubs is enjoyable whenever it comes...

Shorty1983
03-18-2005, 05:59 PM
I really didn't enjoy the win as I wanted to, our pitching got rocked. El duque had a rough outing in the second and Garland was getting rocked my minor leaguers. I hope Garlands gets his stuff together and takes that stupid smirk off his face.

Iguchi belted some nice line drives and carl looks to have his old form back. I have a feeling I'm not going to enjoy Dye's strikeout rate. Overall good game.

nodiggity59
03-18-2005, 06:05 PM
I really didn't enjoy the win as I wanted to, our pitching got rocked. El duque had a rough outing in the second and Garland was getting rocked my minor leaguers. I hope Garlands gets his stuff together and takes that stupid smirk off his face.

Iguchi belted some nice line drives and carl looks to have his old form back. I have a feeling I'm not going to enjoy Dye's strikeout rate. Overall good game.

I was just thinking that when Frank gets back I'd rather see Everret in right and have Dye come off the bench. That would also give us a solid righty on the bench.

voodoochile
03-18-2005, 06:08 PM
I was just thinking that when Frank gets back I'd rather see Everret in right and have Dye come off the bench. That would also give us a solid righty on the bench.

Why not Everett in left, Rowand in center and Pods on the bench. I suppose it will depend on who is playing better.

I do agree that beating the flubbies, as hopeless as they are, is still a cool thing...

twsoxfan5
03-18-2005, 06:21 PM
Why not Everett in left, Rowand in center and Pods on the bench. I suppose it will depend on who is playing better.

I do agree that beating the flubbies, as hopeless as they are, is still a cool thing...

I dont think I would want to put Pods on the bench unless he is slumping pretty bad. We finally have a solid leadoff hitter and I think taking our quickest guy off the field would kind of go against the teams whole plan this year.

elrod
03-18-2005, 06:51 PM
El Duque was terrible in the 2nd but great every other inning. Garland was terrible every inning he was out there - against minor leaguers.

Viva Medias B's
03-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Jon Garland continues to be mentally weak. That worries me. Perhaps he could be a reason to bring Brandon McCarthy north. Meantime, I am delighted because the victory over the Cubs, albeit a spring training one, means this:

:sweepin Arizona.

SluggersAway
03-18-2005, 08:12 PM
Hello folks, it's spring training, take a deep breath. El Duque seems like a guy who understands the difference between ST and the regular season. Let's give our line-up a chance to perform before we send them to the dog pound. Let's also give McCarthy a chance to mature and perfect his pitches, he isn't going anywhere and we don't need another rookie brought up before his time.

spawn
03-18-2005, 08:31 PM
Hello folks, it's spring training, take a deep breath. El Duque seems like a guy who understands the difference between ST and the regular season. Let's give our line-up a chance to perform before we send them to the dog pound. Let's also give McCarthy a chance to mature and perfect his pitches, he isn't going anywhere and we don't need another rookie brought up before his time.

Thank you. From what I've read, Garland has had a great spring. To expect him to be perfect and not struggle at times is foolish. Way too much hand wringing going on in regards to the pitching performance of him and El Duque. And I agree in regards to McCarthy as well. Too many people are expecting him to be ready in the bigs because he's had a good spring. Let the kid get a little more seasoning under his belt.

Ol' No. 2
03-18-2005, 08:32 PM
Hello folks, it's spring training, take a deep breath. El Duque seems like a guy who understands the difference between ST and the regular season. Let's give our line-up a chance to perform before we send them to the dog pound. Let's also give McCarthy a chance to mature and perfect his pitches, he isn't going anywhere and we don't need another rookie brought up before his time.At last the voice of reason. These guys are still working on specific pitches, and throwing it when they normally wouldn't. R-E-L-A-X. If they're still getting rocked the last week of ST, then you might start worrying. Not yet.

delben91
03-18-2005, 08:35 PM
1. Calm down, it's spring training, and beyond that, always nice to beat the Cubs.

2. Can't wait to see tomorrow's game on WGN. I've got MLB Extra Innings, but alas, that doesn't help me during spring training.

Rocklive99
03-18-2005, 09:47 PM
1. Calm down, it's spring training, and beyond that, always nice to beat the Cubs.

2. Can't wait to see tomorrow's game on WGN. I've got MLB Extra Innings, but alas, that doesn't help me during spring training.

I hate to break it to you, but today was the WGN game, I think you have the dates mixed up

delben91
03-18-2005, 09:58 PM
I hate to break it to you, but today was the WGN game, I think you have the dates mixed up

Well....

crap.

The Spaz
03-19-2005, 08:14 AM
Someone actually said put Pods on the bench?!:rolleyes: Yeah I think giving him all that money to come off the bench is a great idea.:?:

voodoochile
03-19-2005, 10:38 AM
Someone actually said put Pods on the bench?!:rolleyes: Yeah I think giving him all that money to come off the bench is a great idea.:?:

It's not supposed to be about the money once the season starts. It's supposed to be about winning. If a different lineup gives you a better chance to win, then you do it. :rolleyes:

I want Mags back
03-19-2005, 10:41 AM
Not to nitpick...I believe the final was 11-9.

But I agree...a win over the Cubs is enjoyable whenever it comes...

My bad... forgot bout the 1 flubs run in the 9th

CleeFan101
03-19-2005, 11:29 AM
while many of you were down on Garlands performance i was actually pretty happy. After loading the bases with no outs instead of getting down on himself he kept a smile and pitched out of it only allowing 1 run. Which is a good thing :cool:

dcb33
03-19-2005, 11:43 AM
while many of you were down on Garlands performance i was actually pretty happy. After loading the bases with no outs instead of getting down on himself he kept a smile and pitched out of it only allowing 1 run. Which is a good thing :cool:

I was thinking the exact same thing while I was listening to the game in the car- at least he was able to pitch out of it instead of completely losing his head and dropping one of his signature 6 run inning performances on us.

I was most excited about Uribe's clutch hitting. It got so frustrating last year watching him try to kill the ball and swing for the fence instead of just putting it in play. Yesterday's game was the total opposite- he seemed a bit more patient and came up with two big hits. He will be an absolute moster at the bottom of the lineup.

fquaye149
03-19-2005, 12:52 PM
It's not supposed to be about the money once the season starts. It's supposed to be about winning. If a different lineup gives you a better chance to win, then you do it. :rolleyes:

not to "effing" mention he's getting paid LESS than the other two we would consider benching (dye/everett). is this guy kidding me?

AJPosguchi
03-19-2005, 02:29 PM
Having watched the game live at TEP, here are a few comments:

Iguchi and Carl looked real good at the plate. Joe still needs alot of work, I hope he can come around.

ElDuque had problems with runners on base, not sure what was wrong mechanically, but he was getting the ball up every time he had to pitch from the stretch. He pitched the first 5 innings.

Jon had a few issues, pitching the last 4 innings against the Flubs minor leaguers. Don Cooper worked with him down in the bullpen after the game (I was intently watching and trying to listen to Coop). He was working on location of each of his pitches, focusing on the ability to throw any one of them on a 3-2 count.

I wanted to ask Don about McCarthy, but did not want to do it in front of Jon.

Anyway, that was what I saw.

TimoPerez
03-19-2005, 02:32 PM
The New Cub Killer!

http://www.geocities.com/hartbenoitangle/timo.jpg