PDA

View Full Version : Canseco at Borders on State Street

Viva Medias B's
03-18-2005, 04:36 PM
I was off of work today so I went downtown to take advantage of Field Days at 111 North State Street. As I finished my shopping and left Marshall Field's, I went to Borders where I noticed signs on the door of Jose Canseco signing copies of his book on the 3rd floor. I had no intention of getting an autograph from Canseco, but I went up to the third floor to see the spectacle. I could not believe the line that there was to get Canseco's autograph. I saw Canseco there wearing sunglasses and a beige outfit. There was also a ton of media there as well.

Infallible
03-18-2005, 09:42 PM
should have gotten his autograph, the way I see it is, he may be the only one telling the truth.

NSSoxFan
03-18-2005, 09:50 PM
should have gotten his autograph, the way I see it is, he may be the only one telling the truth.

I wouldn't want to get that slimebags autograph. Just because Canseco is the tallest midget amongst the users, it doesn't mean a damn thing.

Infallible
03-18-2005, 10:09 PM
at least he admitted to it, thats all I'm saying.

jshanahanjr
03-18-2005, 10:42 PM
:angry: The dope admitted it to line his pocket with 2 million blood dollars. He's a rat!

The_Cheesiest_Idiot
03-18-2005, 10:48 PM
:angry: The dope admitted it to line his pocket with 2 million blood dollars. He's a rat!

^^^^^ looks like we got a dusty baker fan right there.

Nellie_Fox
03-18-2005, 11:34 PM
should have gotten his autograph, the way I see it is, he may be the only one telling the truth.Which truth? The one where he said that steroids were a good thing, and allow people to reach their true potential and prevent the damage of ageing so that people could live to 120 (his book) or the one where he said that steroids are a bad thing that damage people and should be eliminated from baseball (his testimony?)

HomeFish
03-18-2005, 11:48 PM
Jose Canseco was on the White Sox in 2001, and I am not ashamed to admit that I was a very big fan of his that season. He got signed when our playoff hopes were basically gone, and he was one of the few offensive bright spots that season, getting his BA up to .310 before a last-month slump.

He gave me something to cheer for, something worth going to games for. In that year, he did us a great service, and, juiced or not, I appreciate it.

I'm not going to turn on him now, especially since what he's doing will ultimately be good for the game.

SomebodyToldMe
03-19-2005, 12:29 AM
I'm on the P.O.'ed side that I missed it. I still have great memories of Canseco while I was a kid, and there's no way I can forget the Bash Brothers. Canseco and Big Mac were my bro's favorite players. He still has a poster of the two.

When the Sox got him that one season, we got tickets immediately. We had to see him play. I would have loved to get his autograph. If that makes me a bad person, than so be it.

Rocklive99
03-19-2005, 12:44 AM
I kind of like Canseco, what he did was wrong, I probably wouldn't have written a book if in his situation, but he warned everyone of this book years ago, and everyone just laughed at him. I still remember the guys on BBTN laughing about it a couple years ago. It's not so funny now, as the **** ends up meeting the fan, and really turned this into a reality, and the timing after Balco didn't help either. It took some cajones for him to write this book (and obviously a need for money), and to be at that hearing and not refuse a question even though he was denied immunity. Though his statements have been inconsistent, he was the only one who didn't puss out of questions at the hearings, and I think that changed some impressions of some.

Rocklive99
03-19-2005, 12:46 AM
I'm on the P.O.'ed side that I missed it. I still have great memories of Canseco while I was a kid, and there's no way I can forget the Bash Brothers. Canseco and Big Mac were my bro's favorite players. He still has a poster of the two.

When the Sox got him that one season, we got tickets immediately. We had to see him play. I would have loved to get his autograph. If that makes me a bad person, than so be it.

I'm not sure how far it is from where you live, but tomorow he'll still be in Illinois (suburbs)

Saturday, March 19
2:00 PM
Anderson's Books
123 West Jefferson Avenue
Naperville, IL

Fredsox
03-19-2005, 06:54 AM
Canseco certainly contributed to the exposing of widespread steroid use in MLB. I'll give him his props for that. On the other hand, his motivation was/is entirely financial, he is not a nice person (beats women according to his arrest record), is a drug user, and a cheater.

I don't want his autograph and I'm not buying his book.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-19-2005, 07:26 AM
Which truth? The one where he said that steroids were a good thing, and allow people to reach their true potential and prevent the damage of ageing so that people could live to 120 (his book) or the one where he said that steroids are a bad thing that damage people and should be eliminated from baseball (his testimony?)

That's the problem I'm having with Canseco, too. I saw his 60 Minutes interview and got a cold shiver down my spine hearing him say how great steroids were. Then in front of Congress he does a 180 and says he's changed his mind about this.

I don't see Canseco as being either good or bad in this. He is simply a catalyst, the means towards reaching the ultimate conclusion to this mess.

Baseball would be winning this war to cover up their steroids scandal if not for Jose Canseco. The players and owners are in a tidy conspiracy, the sports mediots REFUSE to do anything about it, and the prosecutors (until now) have mostly been interested in chasing the distributors, not the end users.

Canseco is the difference. He has turned the volume up, and now its front page news. I think we can all agree he has played a vital role, regardless of his motives.

:thumbsup:

Infallible
03-19-2005, 04:50 PM
Which truth? The one where he said that steroids were a good thing, and allow people to reach their true potential and prevent the damage of ageing so that people could live to 120 (his book) or the one where he said that steroids are a bad thing that damage people and should be eliminated from baseball (his testimony?)

actually neither of those, my comments were made to the fact that he himself personally admitted to using them.

TDog
03-19-2005, 06:08 PM
Jose Canseco was on the White Sox in 2001, and I am not ashamed to admit that I was a very big fan of his that season. ...

I went to a lot of games in 2001, and I know there were a lot of fans who wanted to keep Canseco for 2002, even if it meant dumping Frank Thomas.

batmanZoSo
03-19-2005, 06:24 PM
I went to a lot of games in 2001, and I know there were a lot of fans who wanted to keep Canseco for 2002, even if it meant dumping Frank Thomas.

I know a lot of stupid people, too.

steff
03-19-2005, 08:02 PM
I went today. A lot of fun.

Nellie_Fox
03-20-2005, 01:17 AM
I went to a lot of games in 2001, and I know there were a lot of fans who wanted to keep Canseco for 2002, even if it meant dumping Frank Thomas.Really? Because I didn't know a soul who thought that Canseco was better than Frank.

shoota
03-20-2005, 01:31 AM
I was off of work today so I went downtown to take advantage of Field Days at 111 North State Street. As I finished my shopping and left Marshall Field's, I went to Borders where I noticed signs on the door of Jose Canseco signing copies of his book on the 3rd floor. I had no intention of getting an autograph from Canseco, but I went up to the third floor to see the spectacle. I could not believe the line that there was to get Canseco's autograph. I saw Canseco there wearing sunglasses and a beige outfit. There was also a ton of media there as well.

I was there and got him to sign a printout of the famous ball-hitting-his-head-for-a-homer picture. I thought he'd get pissed--which would have been worth it to see--but he just looked at me for a second before chuckling. He signed it. I was kind of bummed at his cool reaction though, I wanted him to go roid rage and flip over a table KW style.

soxwon
03-20-2005, 10:44 AM
Who here has read the book?

You shouldnt comment unless youve read it!!!
Its a great book, He is telling the truth.
Yes he did steroids, but he wanted to be the greatest player in the game, and at one or two points in the 80's he was.

Steroids can be usefull, when taken properly, READ THE BOOK.

Remember Baseball is entertainment, home runs are entertaining.

Mcgwire hit 40 some homers withoutout the juice one year.

Just read before you PREACH.

Fredsox
03-20-2005, 12:31 PM

Yes he did steroids, but he wanted to be the greatest player in the game, and at one or two points in the 80's he was.

Using his philosophy, then I guess the end justifies the means. It's OK to use steroids or amphetamines or any other short-cut to victory. And if it's OK in the professional leagues, it must be OK for the minor leagues and college and high school. Is this what we believe and support?

Canseco is a cheater. Period. Whatever his reasoning for doing it won't change the fact that he cheated and cheapened a great game. He has no regrets about it either, he's preaching that steroids should be made a part of the game (see 60 Minutes interview). He also broke the law by doing it (insert his request for immunity from prosecution here). I also assume by his current physique and his comments that he is still using them.

I have not and will not read the book because I refuse to pay him.

jake27
03-20-2005, 12:35 PM
I have not and will not read the book because I refuse to pay him.

if you dont want to buy a book and pay him, check it out of the library

Fredsox
03-20-2005, 12:37 PM
if you dont want to buy a book and pay him, check it out of the library

Let me apologize for not being clear. I have no interest in what the man has to say.

Infallible
03-20-2005, 01:06 PM
Let me apologize for not being clear. I have no interest in what the man has to say.

You're right, Ken Caminiti's death really opened the public eyes to the problem in MLB.
Yes Jose is a bum, we all know that. He is trying to make some cash, but on top of it he has inadvertantly become one of the only guys who isn't now dead to openly state he did roids and there are plenty of others who did as well. Sorry but as a true baseball fan, Maris' record still stands. All of those other bums are exactly that, bums.

Wsoxmike59
03-20-2005, 02:33 PM

Soxwon did Canseco or McGwire take steroids "properly"?

I dont' think so. I read the book and came away with the feeling that I needed to shower, twice!!!

What a freaking slimball Jose Canseco is. These A-Holes (Canseco, McGwire, Giambi, Bonds, Sosa, Caminti etc...) turned the record books upside down and cheated the "clean" players such Frank Thomas and ??? out of their MVP season's in 1996 and 2000.

Read this excerpt from Sports Illustrated on Caminiti. Link has the entire article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_online/special_report/steroids/

Caminiti told SI that he began using steroids midway through the 1996 season after injuring his shoulder while playing third base for the San Diego Padres. Then 33, Caminiti had never hit more than 26 home runs in a season. But he hit 28 alone after the All-Star break that year, finishing with 40 homers, 130 runs batted in and a .326 batting average. All were career highs, and he was a unanimous choice for the MVP.

If Bud Selig had ANY balls he'd retract the MVP Awards from Giambi and Caminiti and give them to the Runner's Up in that category. DO NOT AWARD THE CHEATERS. It sends the wrong message to the youth of America. Just ask the parents of Tyler Hooten.

soxwon
03-20-2005, 02:41 PM
Soxwon did Canseco or McGwire take steroids "properly"?

I dont' think so. I read the book and came away with the feeling that I needed to shower, twice!!!

What a freaking slimball Jose Canseco is. These A-Holes (Canseco, McGwire, Giambi, Bonds, Sosa, Caminti etc...) turned the record books upside down and cheated the "clean" players such Frank Thomas and ??? out of their MVP season's in 1996 and 2000.

Read this excerpt from Sports Illustrated on Caminiti. Link has the entire article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_online/special_report/steroids/

Caminiti told SI that he began using steroids midway through the 1996 season after injuring his shoulder while playing third base for the San Diego Padres. Then 33, Caminiti had never hit more than 26 home runs in a season. But he hit 28 alone after the All-Star break that year, finishing with 40 homers, 130 runs batted in and a .326 batting average. All were career highs, and he was a unanimous choice for the MVP.

If Bud Selig had ANY balls he'd retract the MVP Awards from Giambi and Caminiti and give them to the Runner's Up in that category. DO NOT AWARD THE CHEATERS. It sends the wrong message to the youth of America. Just ask the parents of Tyler Hooten.

im not sure who tyler hooten is?
Its all gonna be taken care of by congress, so we have no more steroid guys left!!! right?
i guess we cant agree on everything, GO SOX!!!

TDog
03-20-2005, 06:34 PM
Really? Because I didn't know a soul who thought that Canseco was better than Frank.

Because I went to a lot of games alone and sat in different parts of the ballpark, I talked to different people I didn't know. A lot of fans were down on Frank Thomas because he was absent in the playoffs and then suffered a season-ending injury by (their perception) falling down. This may not have been a majority belief, but I saw plenty of people who wanted to dump Thomas and keep Canseco. For my own part, I didn't particularly like Canseco and have been a big Thomas fan since he was in Birmingham.

If the idea that fans may have preferred Canseco to Thomas seems unlikely, go back through some of the old Thomas threads and you'll find plenty of negativity.

SpammySosa
03-20-2005, 09:10 PM
Because I went to a lot of games alone and sat in different parts of the ballpark, I talked to different people I didn't know. A lot of fans were down on Frank Thomas because he was absent in the playoffs and then suffered a season-ending injury by (their perception) falling down. This may not have been a majority belief, but I saw plenty of people who wanted to dump Thomas and keep Canseco. For my own part, I didn't particularly like Canseco and have been a big Thomas fan since he was in Birmingham.

If the idea that fans may have preferred Canseco to Thomas seems unlikely, go back through some of the old Thomas threads and you'll find plenty of negativity.

I think you either need to use quotes,as in "fans," or perhaps substitute the word dopes for the word fans.

StillMissOzzie
03-20-2005, 11:19 PM
im not sure who tyler hooten is?
Its all gonna be taken care of by congress, so we have no more steroid guys left!!! right?
i guess we cant agree on everything, GO SOX!!!

Tyler Hooten was one of the high school kids who committed suicide after steroid use. His father's testimony before the Congressional committee was some of the most poignant, yet hard-hitting, truthful testimony heard that day.

SMO
:gulp:

Nellie_Fox
03-20-2005, 11:48 PM
If the idea that fans may have preferred Canseco to Thomas seems unlikely, go back through some of the old Thomas threads and you'll find plenty of negativity.Oh, no question there was some negativity about Frank here on the board. I just don't remember anyone with any credibility arguing that the Sox should keep Canseco and cut Frank.

FarWestChicago
03-21-2005, 01:06 AM
Oh, no question there was some negativity about Frank here on the board. I just don't remember anyone with any credibility arguing that the Sox should keep Canseco and cut Frank.No, there was nobody with any credibilty arguing that. :D:

TommyJohn
03-21-2005, 07:54 AM
Oh, no question there was some negativity about Frank here on the board. I just don't remember anyone with any credibility arguing that the Sox should keep Canseco and cut Frank.

I remember a few dunderheads calling the radio saying that the White Sox
should dump Thomas and keep Canseco, so a few weeks ago I did a search
of old Canseco threads on WSI to see if anyone here argued that point. I
looked at several and couldn't find one. I didn't look at all but the ones I saw
did not advocate keeping Canseco and dumping Thomas. Maybe Nukey wanted
to, I don't know.

RKMeibalane
03-21-2005, 11:54 AM
No, there was nobody with any credibilty arguing that. :D:

Ridiculous! How could anyone not subscribe to the views of bc2k and NUKE_CLEVELAND?