PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here think Prior's career could be over?

Clement's beard
03-18-2005, 03:24 PM
I honestly think that this might be the case and if not, he will need Tommy John surgery. I am going to predict that Prior will not only miss the first series this year, but he will miss the whole season.

This is not some minor thing as the Cubs keep saying it is.

Hangar18
03-18-2005, 03:29 PM
I honestly think that this might be the case and if not, he will need Tommy John surgery. I am going to predict that Prior will not only miss the first series this year, but he will miss the whole season.

This is not some minor thing as the Cubs keep saying it is.

Ummmmmmmmm, no

Clement's beard
03-18-2005, 03:31 PM
Ummmmmmmmm, no

Than how do you explain him getting hurt every year and having the arm problems he keeps having? I'm telling you, there is something seriously wrong with his arm. Well, at least that's my opinion.

SoxFan76
03-18-2005, 03:35 PM
Prior and Wood have poor mechanics. Poor mechanics result in injuries.

Daver
03-18-2005, 03:38 PM
Prior and Wood have poor mechanics. Poor mechanics result in injuries.

Wood has horrid mechanics, Prior has excellent mechanics.

Jerko
03-18-2005, 03:42 PM
IMO, Prior screwed himself up pitching the end of 03 with the bad achilles. I'm sure he had to change his delivery somewhat so his ankle didn't hurt when he threw the ball, and that may be what messed up his arm. I think he'll be fine, and sooner than people think.

Hangar18
03-18-2005, 03:45 PM
Than how do you explain him getting hurt every year and having the arm problems he keeps having?

the Baseball Gods work in mysterious ways .....:D:

Ol' No. 2
03-18-2005, 03:46 PM

This is not some minor thing as the Cubs keep saying it is.Tommy John surgery? There's nothing wrong with his collateral ligament.

havelj
03-18-2005, 03:51 PM
Little bit of in-fighting.

http://mb3.scout.com/fchicagocubsfrm1.showMessageRange?topicID=21023.to pic&start=41&stop=58

Clement's beard
03-18-2005, 03:53 PM
Tommy John surgery? There's nothing wrong with his collateral ligament.

That's what the Cubs are saying. But if that was the case, he should not be having problems to the point where he misses a month or more.

SoxFan76
03-18-2005, 04:01 PM

My bad...I was pretty much saying what I've heard. But you have to wonder why Prior is injured so much.

Hangar18
03-18-2005, 04:05 PM
That's what the Cubs are saying. But if that was the case, he should not be having problems to the point where he misses a month or more.

Well, the Blue Machine is being very very very careful with The Messiah
as he is .....well, after all, the Medias Messiah. He represents the best player theyve EVER had on their team, and they know his very presence is out
of pure shocking and unbelievable luck (and a conflict-of-interest)
so they want to make sure NOTHING happens to him. If they have to
rest him for 4 months, they will do so, knowing the blue-sheeped "fans"
will come and spend ......so long as The Messiah is a member of the north-side
team. Lets not forget, Karma is a funny funny thing, and his greed in requesting 10million right out of the box im sure has something to do with
all this "bad-luck" hes having, heh heh heh. Couldnt happen to a nicer guy.
:D:

Chisox003
03-18-2005, 04:09 PM
IMO, Prior screwed himself up pitching the end of 03 with the bad achilles. I'm sure he had to change his delivery somewhat so his ankle didn't hurt when he threw the ball, and that may be what messed up his arm. I think he'll be fine, and sooner than people think.

I agree.

He was their horse down the stretch and into the NLCS, and pitching with a bad achilles automatically makes a pitcher alter his delivery, whether its his landing leg or pushoff leg I dont know, but either way there was probably alot more stress and tear on his arm than normal...

His mechanics are usually flawless, and he uses his gigantic legs to his advantage, but maybe at the end of '03 he was forcing it rather than pitching, like he would with a healthy ankle...

Just one possibility of many....
Lets stick with "blame it on dusty" for the hell of it! :gulp:

Hangar18
03-18-2005, 04:14 PM
..............Prior has excellent mechanics.

yeah ......... Per the Chicago Cubpoganda Machine

MRKARNO
03-18-2005, 04:15 PM

Not according to Dr. Mike Marshall (former MLB pitcher):

http://www.dailyherald.com/special/prior/

He predicted problems with Prior's UCL last July and that's exactly what Prior's problem is now.

Clement's beard
03-18-2005, 04:16 PM
Well, the Blue Machine is being very very very careful with The Messiah
as he is .....well, after all, the Medias Messiah. He represents the best player theyve EVER had on their team, and they know his very presence is out
of pure shocking and unbelievable luck (and a conflict-of-interest)
so they want to make sure NOTHING happens to him. If they have to
rest him for 4 months, they will do so, knowing the blue-sheeped "fans"
will come and spend ......so long as The Messiah is a member of the north-side
team. Lets not forget, Karma is a funny funny thing, and his greed in requesting 10million right out of the box im sure has something to do with
all this "bad-luck" hes having, heh heh heh. Couldnt happen to a nicer guy.
:D:

Best player ever the Cubs have had?:?: I would not go that far. He has only been in the bigs three years. I will stick to my guns and say that Prior will have surgery this year. Not a chance the Cubs are being truthful here.

Ol' No. 2
03-18-2005, 04:27 PM
That's what the Cubs are saying. But if that was the case, he should not be having problems to the point where he misses a month or more.There are a lot of other elbow problems that he could have. The last one mentioned had to do with the ulnar nerve. I don't see any reason to jump to the conclusion that it's the collateral ligament that's causing the problem when there are so many other possibilities.

Flight #24
03-18-2005, 04:30 PM
There are a lot of other elbow problems that he could have. The last one mentioned had to do with the ulnar nerve. I don't see any reason to jump to the conclusion that it's the collateral ligament that's causing the problem when there are so many other possibilities.

IIRC, Marshall's prognosis was that because of Prior's mechanics, his elbow bones are slamming together (ouch), which can cause ulnar nerve irritation/inflammation, and eventually ligament problems.

That's per Marshall from a year or so ago. I can't say whether he's right or not, but the nerve problems a year later certainly indicate that he could be. So it's not so much that he's got UCL problems as that he's doing something that's going to give him UCL problems if he doesn't already have some.

In any case, that wouldn't be career threatening. He'd lose a year or maybe 2, but probably come back fine. Of course, if he maintains the mechanics that caused the problem, I would think reoccurrence would be a potential issue.

DaleJRFan
03-18-2005, 05:07 PM
As much as it pains me to say, I think they'll both be just fine. Wood will make his standard 20 starts, post a 3.30 ERA with a 12-7 record. Prior will miss a few starts, but still win 18 games.

Fredsox
03-18-2005, 07:24 PM

http://mb3.scout.com/fchicagocubsfrm1.showMessageRange?topicID=21023.to pic&start=41&stop=58

Whiny little brats, aren't they?:smile:

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-18-2005, 09:19 PM
Dude, his career was over the day he was drafted by the Cubs. Should that have been in teal? :?:

NSSoxFan
03-18-2005, 10:46 PM
As much as it pains me to say, I think they'll both be just fine. Wood will make his standard 20 starts, post a 3.30 ERA with a 12-7 record. Prior will miss a few starts, but still win 18 games.

Pass to the right
:bong:

Whitesox029
03-18-2005, 11:24 PM

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=19216
This one's funny too. In two weeks the second half of that ESPN bottom line message will be gone.

As a baseball fan, it is hard to wish for Prior's career to end. I have always hoped the Cubs would give up on him and his injuries and he would go on to win 300 games for Atlanta. However, I will shed no tears if he does end up out of baseball in two years if that's what it takes to get him out of a Cubs uniform.

Buehrle-Garcia-Contreras-Hernandez-Garland > Zambrano-Maddux-Rusch-Dempster-Mitre

DaleJRFan
03-19-2005, 12:06 AM
Pass to the right
:bong:

I think you know what you can do with the bong. I'm right.

I honestly just have a bad feeling about it.. The year the Sox field a solid balanced club and win the division, the Cubs "ace" actually meets expectations.

PAPChiSox729
03-19-2005, 11:54 PM
the Cubs "ace" actually meets expectations.

:o:
Good luck defending yourself. Prior has a better chance meeting expectations then Wood (and I don't think that Prior will turn into the pitcher everyone thought). Wood has great stuff, but his mechanics are horrible and he will always be plagued with injury. I just think better of Prior because he has the stuff and the mechanics. That said, he will probably be in pinstripes by the time he figures everything out.

shoota
03-20-2005, 03:24 AM
Wood and Prior need to suck it up, get some nail polish remover and take a cortisone shot. These dolls are being babied way too much.

veeter
03-20-2005, 10:04 AM
I think until Prior hits the money jackpot he's going to protect his investment...his arm. If he feels even the slightest twinge anywhere he's going to shut himself down. He knows someday he going to get $100/mil., probably from the Yankees. He's just being financially smart while bailing on his team.

BRDSR
03-20-2005, 11:30 AM
yeah ......... Per the Chicago Cubpoganda Machine

You don't need a newspaper to watch a guy on TV. Mark Prior has almost flawless mechanics. His mechanics are so good that when he's overworked, the first thing that goes is his achilles, not his shoulder or his elbow. If Mark Prior's mechanics weren't as good as they are, his career probably would already be over due to Dusty Baker increasing his innings from 116 major league innings(not sure how many he had in minors, I believe it was less than 60) to 211 between 2002 and 2003. I'm not going to say something untrue about Mark Prior just because I hate the Cubs. He has excellent mechanics and I would take him in a heartbeat on the White Sox.

jake27
03-20-2005, 01:38 PM

prior actually has bad mechanics. i forgot what station, but they went through priors motion in slow motion. his throwing motion puts A TON of stress on his elbow. his wind up looks good but when you slow it down, you can see why he would keep having elbow problems

BRDSR
03-20-2005, 06:30 PM
prior actually has bad mechanics. i forgot what station, but they went through priors motion in slow motion. his throwing motion puts A TON of stress on his elbow. his wind up looks good but when you slow it down, you can see why he would keep having elbow problems

Thats true of any pitcher when you slow it down. I never saw the piece you're talking about but I'm assuming it looks like his elbow is way ahead of the rest of his arm and then his hand has to whip through the motion faster than it looks like it should, as though its putting a ton of stress on his elbow. Thats true of every pitcher, from little league to the majors.

By the by, pitching in general puts a ton of stress on the shoulder and elbow. It's one of the most unnatural motions in sports. When a seasoned veteran finishes his career and gets an MRI on his shoulder or elbow, it looks horrible. In that sense, there really is no such thing as good pitching mechanics.

daveeym
03-20-2005, 09:26 PM
IIRC, Marshall's prognosis was that because of Prior's mechanics, his elbow bones are slamming together (ouch), which can cause ulnar nerve irritation/inflammation, and eventually ligament problems.

That's per Marshall from a year or so ago. I can't say whether he's right or not, but the nerve problems a year later certainly indicate that he could be. So it's not so much that he's got UCL problems as that he's doing something that's going to give him UCL problems if he doesn't already have some.

In any case, that wouldn't be career threatening. He'd lose a year or maybe 2, but probably come back fine. Of course, if he maintains the mechanics that caused the problem, I would think reoccurrence would be a potential issue. Close, the bones slamming together is actually a later symptom due to the ligament deteriorating. The pain would be back near the ulnar nerve. If they start reporting that priors getting bone scans that's when it's gonna be looking real bad for the ligament.

PatK
03-24-2005, 12:45 PM

Prior's mechanics were sound until last year.

Maybe it was because of his achilles problems, I don't know, but his mechanics definately changed.