PDA

View Full Version : McGwire bashed... Sosa too

Baby Fisk
03-18-2005, 01:52 PM
linky (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=bayless/050318)

Not once did McGwire say: "Jose Canseco is a liar because I never used steroids."

McGwire ducked question after question by saying: "I'm not here to talk about the past."

McGwire looked more and more pathetic. His pinched face said: You've dragged me out of a peaceful retirement and ruined my reputation because you let my old Oakland A's teammate rat me out.
Sosa also called out for his "no habla" routine:

After Sosa's opening statement that he flat-out has never used performance-enhancing drugs, his answers often were comical. As a columnist in Chicago, I spent enough time around Sosa to tell you he can speak and understand English extremely well when he needs to. But at Thursday's hearing, with his lawyer to his right and an interpreter to his left, Sosa often acted as if he didn't quite understand the question and some of his answers were nonsensical.

Clembasbal
03-18-2005, 01:54 PM

They are both idiots, and the hearings reaffirmed that for me.

Irishsox1
03-18-2005, 01:58 PM
When that jerk Bayless was in Chicago he spent more time bashing the Sox and Frank Thomas than he did calling out Sosa. That's whats great about being a writer, you can switch sides and no one call you out on it. Bayless may have been an jerk, but nobody is more of a WWF style blowhard than Mariotti. Jay "I'm in the bottom left corner window with the other blowhards on ESPN 8" has got to be the worst sports writer in Chicago. I don't even know why I call him a writer, he's more like a megaphone with the siren jammed on.

cheeses_h_rice
03-18-2005, 04:05 PM
When that jerk Bayless was in Chicago he spent more time bashing the Sox and Frank Thomas than he did calling out Sosa. That's whats great about being a writer, you can switch sides and no one call you out on it. Bayless may have been an jerk, but nobody is more of a WWF style blowhard than Mariotti. Jay "I'm in the bottom left corner window with the other blowhards on ESPN 8" has got to be the worst sports writer in Chicago. I don't even know why I call him a writer, he's more like a megaphone with the siren jammed on.

:windsock:

"Wrigley is the cool place to be."

"Frank Thomas deserves to be in the Hall of Fame."

"Jim Hendry is a genius for signing Nomar."

WhiteSoxFan84
03-18-2005, 04:26 PM

After Sosa's opening statement that he flat-out has never used performance-enhancing drugs, his answers often were comical. As a columnist in Chicago, I spent enough time around Sosa to tell you he can speak and understand English extremely well when he needs to. But at Thursday's hearing, with his lawyer to his right and an interpreter to his left, Sosa often acted as if he didn't quite understand the question and some of his answers were nonsensical.

I'm not defending Sosa at all but the guy will probably struggle reading a 2-3 page statement. He can probably conversate extremely well but can he read and give a speech extremely well? I doubt it. If I was in his position, I would've done whichever was more comfortable. Now some of the answers he gave to some of the questions he was asked, "I honestly don't know what to tell you haaha...", "whatever Mark said...", "I don't know...", those were just dumb.

Nellie_Fox
03-18-2005, 06:41 PM
Conversate?

Infallible
03-18-2005, 09:41 PM
I'm begining to think the only one telling the truth was Jose'

Brian26
03-18-2005, 10:00 PM
Conversate?

I did a double take on that one too. Terrible.

Not quite as bad as people who use actual words incorrectly. I overheard someone the other day trying to sound smart by saying this: "So should I go to this meeting on the premonition that the client did not......". He should have used "premise" instead of "premonition".

Norberto7
03-19-2005, 12:41 AM
Not quite as bad as people who use actual words incorrectly. I overheard someone the other day trying to sound smart by saying this: "So should I go to this meeting on the premonition that the client did not......". He should have used "premise" instead of "premonition".

Awesome story.

fquaye149
03-19-2005, 02:05 AM
Awesome story.

it wasn't unawesome

Nellie_Fox
03-19-2005, 02:27 AM
Awesome story.LOL...I love it. Awesome = Capable of inspiring fear and respect. Perhaps the currently most misused word.

Jerko
03-19-2005, 03:46 AM
I can only say what I cannot say. :shammy

PaleHoseGeorge
03-19-2005, 07:18 AM
I can only say what I cannot say. :shammy

Not exactly. You forgot the "mumble mumble" part before and after Scammy's statement.

Norberto7
03-21-2005, 09:23 PM
LOL...I love it. Awesome = Capable of inspiring fear and respect. Perhaps the currently most misused word.

Oh, I forgot that English words can only have one meaning now. :?: Anyways, I guess I was a little short (oops, multiple meanings), um, curt, with my sarcastic reply. My only beef (crap, there I go again), make that, objection is people criticizing grammar. I'll never disagree that knowledge of proper grammar is important, but it seems a bit over the top to criticize it on a message board. We're here for an exchange of ideas, not to underline predicates, and we all conversate at different levels, and I think that's part of the color of the boards. Definitely, there's a point at which grammar can deteriorate so badly that the message is lost, but I'd say up until that point, live and let live. For what it's worth, I'll take the "conversates" any day. Each poster's use of grammar is part of their signature, for better or for worse, and I'll take it that way. Anyways, though I shouldn't have mocked Brian26's story, how does he know that the guy talking wasn't a psychic and really didn't have a premonition? :rolleyes:

If you want to scrutinize my post for grammar mistakes, have fun and let me know what you find! :?:

wdelaney72
03-22-2005, 08:50 AM

Why do you think Bayless is not in Chicago anymore?

While I'm not an apologist for Skip or really a fan of his, my understanding is he was forced out becuase he was too hard on certain members of the Cubs. He's been calling Sosa a fraud for years.

I think if anything, he's been more of a windsock with Bonds. I'd like to hear what he has to say about Barroid now. Over the last few years, he's been Bonds suck-up #1.