PDA

View Full Version : Congress Lauds Frank Thomas ....But Chicago Media Ignores This

Hangar18
03-18-2005, 11:04 AM
Why am I not surprised Frank Thomas would not get any recognition
from the Chicago Media today? Frank Thomas is an unknown hero
in Chicago simply because the Chicago Media is run like Pravda.

elrod
03-18-2005, 11:22 AM
Who cares what those corrupt Congressmen say? I love Frank Thomas but I don't need some blowhard hypocrite in Washington to validate it. Of course, the Chicago media will spend days on Sosa's denial.

PorkChopExpress
03-18-2005, 11:23 AM
I was watching the wrap-up of the hearings last night on ESPN, and I saw in the bottom corner of the screen "Sosa, Palmiero and Thomas deny use of steroids," or something to that effect. Thomas was testifying because he was so outspoken against steroids, and I believe he was appointed co-chair with Schilling to that fact-finding thing, and somehow he gets lumped in with the accused insinuating that he too was accused. Then, I saw the same thing on mlb.com this morning. There is no mention of the praise he received from Congress, just that he denied using steroids.

I realize this is outsie of Chicago media, but c'mon. The man can not catch a break.

Soxzilla
03-18-2005, 11:25 AM
But he DID deny steroid use. Stop over-analyzing everything.

If ignorant outside fans want to believe that the Big Hurt had anything to do with steroid use...let them, who cares what they think. They're ignorant.

Just revel in the fact our main guy is completely clean... something a lot of other teams' fans can't say.

PorkChopExpress
03-18-2005, 11:32 AM
But he DID deny steroid use. Stop over-analyzing everything.

If ignorant outside fans want to believe that the Big Hurt had anything to do with steroid use...let them, who cares what they think. They're ignorant.

Just revel in the fact our main guy is completely clean... something a lot of other teams' fans can't say.

I realize that. But to say "deny" implies that there was an accusation. He merely stated he has never used steroids. Ever. Don't lump him in with Sosa who denied it because he was accused, and who is a known cheater and liar.

Oh, and Hawk loves it when I over-analyze.:D:

Hangar18
03-18-2005, 11:41 AM
I was watching the wrap-up of the hearings last night on ESPN, and I saw in the bottom corner of the screen "Sosa, Palmiero and Thomas deny use of steroids," or something to that effect. Thomas was testifying because he was so outspoken against steroids, and I believe he was appointed co-chair with Schilling to that fact-finding thing, and somehow he gets lumped in with the accused insinuating that he too was accused. Then, I saw the same thing on mlb.com this morning. There is no mention of the praise he received from Congress, just that he denied using steroids.

I realize this is outsie of Chicago media, but c'mon. The man can not catch a break.

YUP. The man was applauded by Congress and even Appointed to a committee, but did the Chicago Media Report this? NO THEY DIDNT.
They simply ignored the fact that Thomas was even there, simply referring
to him having DENIED Steroid use, AS IF THATS WHY HE WAS THERE.
Sammy pretending he didnt speak english was a joke, and I wish he was
still a Cub ............ I hate the Chicago Media

balke
03-18-2005, 12:43 PM
Who CARES!? Frank wasn't at the meeting, he wasn't asked a single question. He had a video conference statement, like some kind of alien diplomat, then he was gone. There's not a lot to report about that.

"Frank had a statement, denied steroid use, and was never seen again". that's his story for the day.

Irishsox1
03-18-2005, 12:48 PM
I agree that if Frank actually attended the meeting, then he would have been mentioned more. But, lucky for us, Frank is getting his ankle rehabbed so he can come back in May and continue with his steroid free march to the hall of fame.

thezeker
03-18-2005, 01:22 PM
I agree that if Frank actually attended the meeting, then he would have been mentioned more. But, lucky for us, Frank is getting his ankle rehabbed so he can come back in May and continue with his steroid free march to the hall of fame.

If this is not the post of the week it should be! :wink:

NSSoxFan
03-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Hangar I share your frustration on this matter. I mean, we know about the media in this city, but they treat Frank as a second class citizen. Now, this man is one of only a FEW players that has been in the same organization since 1989, amassed great numbers(and still is), and most of all shows the GOOD that is left in baseball. It should go without saying that if Frank was playing in the kingdom known as ScRubdom, he would own this town like no other athlete has (perhaps even MJ).Overall though, I really don't care what anyone else thinks about Frank. Anyone that is knowledgable about the game of baseball knows that Frank is one of the top players in the game since 1990.

steff
03-18-2005, 01:40 PM
Damn straight... :rolleyes:

The headline should have read...

"Frank makes opening statement, then feed is lost, then he resumes his rehab"

How dare the media not report that urgent news... yawn..zzzzzzzzzz

ChiSoxBobette
03-18-2005, 02:01 PM
Why am I not surprised Frank Thomas would not get any recognition
from the Chicago Media today? Frank Thomas is an unknown hero
in Chicago simply because the Chicago Media is run like Pravda.

What did you expect when the media had Saint Schilling there to defend the honor of baseball, I'm surprised he did'nt have the bloody sock with him. What a goof that guy is several years ago in Sports ILL he came out and said that steriod abuse in baseball was out of control but yesterday he said back when that article was written he was mis-informed , MIS-INFORMED. The only guy that was there, even though it was by tele-conference, who has always said he was clean and would take a test to prove it was Big Frank, he was clean in college due to being on the Auburn football team because they were tested on a regular basis and he's clean now. They can call Canseco whatever they want but all you have to do is look at some of these guys now and what they looked like several years ago and you know they're on something. Way to go Frank even though you never get your props we as White Sox fans love ya.

maurice
03-18-2005, 02:22 PM
The news was that Frank was appointed co-chair of a congressioonal taskforce. That's quite and honor and should not have been ignored.

pssondacubs
03-19-2005, 12:29 PM
I had to turn away from the charade known as congressional hearings, but did Soso's interpreter ever have to interpret anything at all? From what little I saw he seemed to know exactly what was being said. That's why he kept hanging his head as if he was shameful about something. By the way, he's been here in this country how long? and still wants us to believe he can't speak english. My kids learned the language pretty good in a of couple years. The media are still in love with this character, and it isn't only the Chicago media.

steff
03-19-2005, 12:48 PM
I had to turn away from the charade known as congressional hearings, but did Soso's interpreter ever have to interpret anything at all? From what little I saw he seemed to know exactly what was being said. That's why he kept hanging his head as if he was shameful about something. By the way, he's been here in this country how long? and still wants us to believe he can't speak english. My kids learned the language pretty good in a of couple years. The media are still in love with this character, and it isn't only the Chicago media.

I'm not defending him.. but apparently the guy was only there to read his opening statement, which I agree with. He can understand just fine, IMO.. but his speaking leaves a lot to be desired.

Ol' No. 2
03-19-2005, 01:19 PM
I'm not defending him.. but apparently the guy was only there to read his opening statement, which I agree with. He can understand just fine, IMO.. but his speaking leaves a lot to be desired.The lawyer read the opening statement. The interpreter never uttered a word that I saw.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-19-2005, 01:48 PM
The lawyer read the opening statement. The interpreter never uttered a word that I saw.

Here's betting that Sosa would have referred to his interpreter if any congressman had the temerity to ask Sosa to clarify the mumbling nonsense he initally offered to every single question posed.

No congressman ever bothered and Sosa walked away unscathed. Just ask Phil Rogers...
:cool:

steff
03-19-2005, 09:03 PM
The lawyer read the opening statement. The interpreter never uttered a word that I saw.

I meant the lawyer. The interpreter was female and you're right.. she never said a thing.

batmanZoSo
03-20-2005, 11:33 AM
I'm not defending him.. but apparently the guy was only there to read his opening statement, which I agree with. He can understand just fine, IMO.. but his speaking leaves a lot to be desired.

So he's not articulate by American standards, but he's among the most well-spoken players from his country. He's a charmer, Mr. Soundbyte, and he's a chicken s****. I see what you're saying and I understand that most of the American players were sweating bullets up there, but I think I know Sosa's game by now and I'm sure his motive was to simply hide behind his language like the coward he is.