PDA

View Full Version : What Happened To Frank?

mikehuff
03-17-2005, 06:40 PM
I know this was asked a few times in the Steroid thread, but I don't know if anyone got an answer.

What happened to Frank at the hearings. Why did he just dissapear all of a sudden? Technical problems?
Anyone know?

SluggersAway
03-17-2005, 06:52 PM
It looked like there was a delay in the feed when he first gave his statement so they probably didn't want to waste time since each congressmen only gets a certain amount of time allotted for questioning.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-17-2005, 06:55 PM
Technical problems. He made his opening statement and not another question was asked him the remainder of the afternoon.

It's a shame... his opening statement was the strongest and most direct of any given by the panelists and stood in stark contrast to the complete bull**** Curt Schilling served up. And Schilling is Frank's co-chair on the committee!

steff
03-17-2005, 06:55 PM
The feed was lost so they excused him from the remainder of the hearing.

SABRSox
03-17-2005, 07:30 PM
The feed was lost so they excused him from the remainder of the hearing.

I don't know what Thomas would have said, but I'm sure Selig and Co. were happy to see that feed lost. I'm sure Thomas would have been much more direct than Schilling, and certainly wouldn't have been towing MLBPA / MLB party lines like Schilling was. We'll never know, though...

steff
03-17-2005, 07:42 PM
I don't know what Thomas would have said, but I'm sure Selig and Co. were happy to see that feed lost. I'm sure Thomas would have been much more direct than Schilling, and certainly wouldn't have been towing MLBPA / MLB party lines like Schilling was. We'll never know, though...

I don't think we've heard the last on this matter from Frank....

mikehuff
03-17-2005, 08:50 PM
I don't think we've heard the last on this matter from Frank....

Oh I do. Frank was one of the guys who asked to be excused from appearing too. Don't forget that. I think he was extremely glad that he didn't have to sit there for those 2 and a half hours.

steff
03-17-2005, 09:00 PM
Oh I do. Frank was one of the guys who asked to be excused from appearing too. Don't forget that. I think he was extremely glad that he didn't have to sit there for those 2 and a half hours.

Frank was more than willing to be there. I have yet to see a quote from Frank saying he didn't want to be there...

Frank's not done.

And let me revise my previous comment... I don't think we've heard the last from Frank.. I guarantee we haven't.

mikehuff
03-17-2005, 09:07 PM
Frank was more than willing to be there. I have yet to see a quote from Frank saying he didn't want to be there...

Frank's not done.

And let me revise my previous comment... I don't think we've heard the last from Frank.. I guarantee we haven't.

Frank had to be subpeoened to be there. He wouldn't come voluntarily. I think Shilling was the only player to come voluntarily. If he wouldn't come voluntarily, then what else do you think he's going to do? The only thing left for him to do is name names and he won't want any part in that. He'll keep his nose out of it.
Baseball players are like cops ratting out other cops. None of them want anything to do with it.

steff
03-17-2005, 09:11 PM
Frank had to be subpeoened to be there. He wouldn't come voluntarily. I think Shilling was the only player to come voluntarily. If he wouldn't come voluntarily, then what else do you think he's going to do? The only thing left for him to do is name names and he won't want any part in that. He'll keep his nose out of it.
Baseball players are like cops ratting out other cops. None of them want anything to do with it.

They all were subpeoened.

And I didn't say anything about anyone ratting anyone out, so don't put words in my mouth.

dcb33
03-17-2005, 09:18 PM

:?:
Frank came out and said he was more than willing to voluntarily testify before being subpeoned. The only reason he didn't want to go to D.C. was becuase that would set back his recovery by a few days. They subpeoned him anyway, and fortunately for him and the Sox they let him testify in Tuscon.

soxfanforlife28
03-17-2005, 09:27 PM
I know this was asked a few times in the Steroid thread, but I don't know if anyone got an answer.

What happened to Frank at the hearings. Why did he just dissapear all of a sudden? Technical problems?
Anyone know?I was gonna ask the same thing cuz i seen his opening statements then all sudden he wasnt around. Wanted here more when he was asked questions. Cuz the only person who seem to make sense was jose and schilling.

mantis1212
03-17-2005, 09:32 PM
:?:
Frank came out and said he was more than willing to voluntarily testify before being subpeoned. The only reason he didn't want to go to D.C. was becuase that would set back his recovery by a few days. They subpeoned him anyway, and fortunately for him and the Sox they let him testify in Tuscon.

He would be "honored" to testify was the quote I heard. It's a shame Frank couldn't fly out there and be there in person. That would have been great to see.

Lip Man 1
03-18-2005, 12:56 AM
Frank came across as a strong anti-steroids advocate. Let it remain with that. In the past Frank has had some unfortunate incidents where he made comments that were misunderstood, inappropriate or got him into trouble.

Let him concentrate on his rehab. His legacy is clear and has been noted on national sports shows including ESPN SportsCenter tonight. That's good enough.

Lip

Jaffar
03-18-2005, 09:17 AM
They reported that it was technical problems and he waited around for them to fix it but after awhile he was excused. He is supposed to have a press conference today though, not sure what time or anything though. (all from Comcast Sports Net last night after the hearing concluded)

daveeym
03-18-2005, 09:22 AM

Frank's not done.

And let me revise my previous comment... I don't think we've heard the last from Frank.. I guarantee we haven't. I agree but I think everyone involved dodged a bullet by the technical problems. I think Frank will be the star leader compared to schilling. I think Thomas is an excellant speaker when it comes to these things.

However while he wouldn't have pulled the crap schilling did if he actually had to sit there with those bums a lot of people would have been extremely dissapointed. He wouldn't have sold out like schilling but he would have played politician as well. He's already stated the company line that the testing is working and we've got to continue to strengthen it. Many times he's said that. So I'm extremely pleased at the way it played out on Franks behalf and look forward to him being the spokesman to schilling's schmuck.

NonetheLoaiza
03-18-2005, 10:08 AM
What about Raffy? I, at least, believe him when he says he never took steroids. There is just something about the two that don't mix. I thought it was good he asked to be on the committee as well...

Ol' No. 2
03-18-2005, 10:24 AM
What about Raffy? I, at least, believe him when he says he never took steroids. There is just something about the two that don't mix. I thought it was good he asked to be on the committee as well...This is as good a reason as any why MLB should be doing its own investigation. As it stands now, EVERYONE is suspect. Just the other day we had a thread here speculating on who on the Reds team was using. And it will continue. The only way to put it to rest is to have a CREDIBLE investigation and out the users.

Paulwny
03-18-2005, 10:45 AM
This is as good a reason as any why MLB should be doing its own investigation. As it stands now, EVERYONE is suspect. Just the other day we had a thread here speculating on who on the Reds team was using. And it will continue. The only way to put it to rest is to have a CREDIBLE investigation and out the users.

No one will believe any investigation done by mlb. The need to hire an indepedent organization.

Hangar18
03-18-2005, 10:51 AM

He didnt come "Voluntarily" because flying to Washington wouldve made
his ankle swell-up and further pushing back his Rehab. THATS WHY
he didnt want to go, so Congress ok'd for him to stay in AZ to testify.
Thomas will do the right thing....... you can bet on that.

Foulke You
03-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Frank came across as a strong anti-steroids advocate. Let it remain with that. In the past Frank has had some unfortunate incidents where he made comments that were misunderstood, inappropriate or got him into trouble.

Let him concentrate on his rehab. His legacy is clear and has been noted on national sports shows including ESPN SportsCenter tonight. That's good enough.

Lip

Agreed. Perhaps it is for the best that Frank's feed was lost. In the past, he has shown a knack for saying the wrong thing or having his comments taken out of context. Finally, Frank is being portrayed in a positive light for the first time since the early and mid '90s. I'd hate to see one comment off the cuff give feul to guys like Mariotti to roast him again.

Epark84
03-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Technical problems. He made his opening statement and not another question was asked him the remainder of the afternoon.

It's a shame... his opening statement was the strongest and most direct of any given by the panelists and stood in stark contrast to the complete bull**** Curt Schilling served up. And Schilling is Frank's co-chair on the committee!

I didnt see most of the hearings, but schilling has always been outspoken against steroids. What did he say that was bull****? I was mostly watching hoops and didnt here schilling talk much.

And what is with sosa? "I agree and I dont know were most of what he said. And you have to love how he pretends he has no grasp on the english language.

Frater Perdurabo
03-18-2005, 12:40 PM
I for one am glad Frank's feed was lost. The less he is associated with the arse-clowns that made up the rest of panel three, the better. Those hearings were a complete farce, and the more Thomas is distanced from them, the better.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-18-2005, 12:52 PM
I didnt see most of the hearings, but schilling has always been outspoken against steroids. What did he say that was bull****? I was mostly watching hoops and didnt here schilling talk much.

Listening to Schilling's b.s. was a revelation. You ought to spend 15 minutes reading the "official" hearings thread to understand why those who managed to hear the hearings were ripping Schilling and McGwire in equal measure.

As for Sosa's "Chico Esquala" routine, it obviously didn't fool anyone. Dan Patrick has been ripping Sosa all morning. As Patrick noted, Sosa got off scot-free in front of the congressmen but only because McGwire and Schilling were doing such a masterful job of making the MLBPA look like coconspirators with the owners.

Ol' No. 2
03-18-2005, 12:56 PM
I for one am glad Frank's feed was lost. The less he is associated with the arse-clowns that made up the rest of panel three, the better. Those hearings were a complete farce, and the more Thomas is distanced from them, the better.I'm glad Frank wasn't there, but for a different reason. IMO, no matter what he said, there was so much **** flying he was bound to get some on him. He's better off not being there.

Flight #24
03-18-2005, 01:08 PM
Listening to Schilling's b.s. was a revelation. You ought to spend 15 minutes reading the "official" hearings thread to understand why those who managed to hear the hearings were ripping Schilling and McGwire in equal measure.

That's actually IMO a worse offense. At least the guys who used can say "we were trying to improve ourselves to make more money". Schilling (assuming he didn't use), is just shilling for the MLBPA and trying to orchestrate a pretty weak coverup. When faced with his prior quotes, he even bailed out "I was uninformed". Weak. If I'm a clean player, I'm thinking "this is the guy that's supposedly looking out for my interest as a player rep on the committee? This is the guy who wants me to vote him in at some point as union head?"

I expected a lot more out of him, and IMO the committee did as well. I think that they likely anticipated tossing up softballs, getting some good PR, and then moving on. But the arrogance, blatant inconsistencies, etc exhibited by Schilling & co pissed them off, which is why the longer that panel went on, the more aggressive things got. In that respect, baseball has likely (IMO) cost itself and this has been blown significantly greater than it would have.

Clement's beard
03-18-2005, 01:16 PM
:shammy (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=15#)
"This America is a great country."