PDA

View Full Version : Frank Thomas memories and his first 2005 Home AB

kruzer31
03-17-2005, 07:32 PM
As an avid Frank Thomas fan since his call up in 1990, I feel it is our duty as WSIers to try to get as many fans to US Cellular as possible for his first game back for a Memorable Standing Ovation in his First at bat. I hear that someone from the public relations reads on here from time to time so I hope he catches the next thing I am going to suggest. For his first game back at home, there could be a little presentation about Frank's persistent feelings against Steroids and how he has been apointed along with Curt Schilling as Co-Chairman of a group against Steroids. White Sox management should award him some sort of plaque in pre game and have Frank speak his message against Steroids over the PA system. This will also show fans and our youth that the White Sox and Frank Thomas are moving toward a drug free MLB and set an example for other Teams to have promotions preventing drug use that could go as far as having team trainers and physicians holding free clinics for little league and high school athletes teaching them the dangers of performance enhancing drugs. Was wondering your guys thoughts on that.
Secondly, I would like to now hear your favorite memories of the Big Hurt in the past 15 season and I will list just a few of mine. A total memory of remembering in the 90s as the most dangerous hitter i have ever seen and many of my die hard cub fans agreeeing with me. I remember him hitting a homer in the bottom of the eight against Royals Closer Jeff Montgomery in 93 to give the sox a go head lead. His three homers over the monster all off Wakefield, and his 512 foot shot in the 94 HR Derby in Ptt, and went on to wint the HR Derby in 95 in Texas. I remember him carrying Robin Ventura after Robin hit a game winning grand slam in the 90s. There are many more I have but would love to hear everyone elses and I will add as this thread moves along. In my opinion, he is a Hall of Famer, its a shame he was snubbed for the All Star team in 2000 and the MVP and snubbed again in his own park in 2003 for the All Star game and once again last year. He should have at least 3 more all star games and 1 MVP. Lets give him that contract extension during the year Jerry, 3, years 35 Million, he is worth it on loyalty to the Sox alone, but we all know his next three years will clinch a HOF career. I truly believe he has a legitimate shot at DH to reach 600 HRs if healthy. Cant wait to hear from everyone on this.

Jeff

P.S. Just got a new little picture of a Cartoon Iguchi, i think its pretty cool.

FJA
03-17-2005, 07:40 PM
As an avid Frank Thomas fan since his call up in 1990, I feel it is our duty as WSIers to try to get as many fans to US Cellular as possible for his first game back for a Memorable Standing Ovation in his First at bat. I hear that someone from the public relations reads on here from time to time so I hope he catches the next thing I am going to suggest. For his first game back at home, there could be a little presentation about Frank's persistent feelings against Steroids and how he has been apointed along with Curt Schilling as Co-Chairman of a group against Steroids. White Sox management should award him some sort of plaque in pre game and have Frank speak his message against Steroids over the PA system. This will also show fans and our youth that the White Sox and Frank Thomas are moving toward a drug free MLB and set an example for other Teams to have promotions preventing drug use that could go as far as having team trainers and physicians holding free clinics for little league and high school athletes teaching them the dangers of performance enhancing drugs. Was wondering your guys thoughts on that.
Secondly, I would like to now hear your favorite memories of the Big Hurt in the past 15 season and I will list just a few of mine. A total memory of remembering in the 90s as the most dangerous hitter i have ever seen and many of my die hard cub fans agreeeing with me. I remember him hitting a homer in the bottom of the eight against Royals Closer Jeff Montgomery in 93 to give the sox a go head lead. His three homers over the monster all off Wakefield, and his 512 foot shot in the 94 HR Derby in Ptt, and went on to wint the HR Derby in 95 in Texas. I remember him carrying Robin Ventura after Robin hit a game winning grand slam in the 90s. There are many more I have but would love to hear everyone elses and I will add as this thread moves along. In my opinion, he is a Hall of Famer, its a shame he was snubbed for the All Star team in 2000 and the MVP and snubbed again in his own park in 2003 for the All Star game and once again last year. He should have at least 3 more all star games and 1 MVP. Lets give him that contract extension during the year Jerry, 3, years 35 Million, he is worth it on loyalty to the Sox alone, but we all know his next three years will clinch a HOF career. I truly believe he has a legitimate shot at DH to reach 600 HRs if healthy. Cant wait to hear from everyone on this.

Jeff

P.S. Just got a new little picture of a Cartoon Iguchi, i think its pretty cool.

I don't know about a pre-game ceremony, but I think this is a story that PR needs to make sure gets told in the press for all the same reasons you cited for honoring him in a pre-game ceremony. It's good for Frank, good for the White Sox, good for baseball and good for fans young and old.

Favorite Frank moment - other than his general consistency in the '90s, the happiest I've been for Frank was the 2003 season w/2,000 hits and 400 HRs (both of which I was present for), and the legendary Minnesota game where Paulie first tied the game (after playing just awful for three months) and then Frank hit the game winner.

havelj
03-17-2005, 08:09 PM
We also need to cheer him on when he will be introduced at the home opener. I assume he could possibly stay in AZ rather than go north with the team.

soxfanforlife28
03-17-2005, 10:11 PM

Jeff

P.S. Just got a new little picture of a Cartoon Iguchi, i think its pretty cool.I totally hear u on all that. I sat and actually watched the hearings from when the time it was on til the time it went off at nite. Big applauds to the big hurt. Hes always been my fav and it goes to show that cheating doesnt pay. Which on the off subject i had to laugh about big mac denying every single question given to him. And as for the big opening applauds. That all depends on whom ever feels obligated to cheer for him in that sense. Me ive always cheered him when he was up or down. And watched threw the yrs on how the sox fans them selves loved em and then hated em. Im just glad that someone of that standard went to congress and spoken out and made a point that should have been brought up when he was denyed his mvp. Peace go white sox!

mccombe_35
03-18-2005, 08:56 AM
wow. sooo many great memories from Frank... a few of my favorites include -

my first memory of Frank was wathing him in his 2nd or 3rd game his rookie year & he drove a ball to the opposite field that hit the top of the wall & went for a triple in Milwaukee

The walkoff HR off Guardado in '03 & the other GW HR against Cal (i think?) in the same week.

The HR into the fog against KC late in the '93 season.

The 435 ft blast in Toronto in the '93 playoffs

#400. I was lucky to be at that game.

his 3 HR game at Fenway

all those opposite field blasts in the mid 90's (back when not too many guys hit em that way)

NonetheLoaiza
03-18-2005, 09:20 AM
My favorite memory of Frank was at the game for this 400th, and every time he makes contact on a long ball. Watching him hit is one of the best things about baseball...

FarmerAndy
03-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Hitting the last home run in old Comiskey.

DaleJRFan
03-18-2005, 02:05 PM
I agree completely that we as Sox fans need to let Frank Thomas know that we do appreciate him. How that is done remains to be determined.

My favorite Thomas moment... my first Sox game at the New Park with my Dad, right behind the on-desk circle. Thomas was warming up... my Dad kept talking to him to try to get him to turn around so he could take his picture. Sure enough he did, with his big white smile... where my Dad said "Crank one out for us Big Frank!" Sure enough, on a 2-0 pitch, he yanked a frozen rope into the left-field bleachers.

:)

I remember being like 12 or something and going to a baseball card convention with my Dad and he said "Buy ALL the Thomas cards you can find, he's gunna be a superstar." So I did and still have them.

:)

Chrisaway
03-19-2005, 04:04 AM
I stand up and salute Frank everytime he bats. Been doing it since i was 11 years old (14 years). And on my 23rd bday (7/27/2003) he repayed me with a home run against the Devil Rays. One of my favorite Frank moments.

FightingBillini
03-19-2005, 06:45 PM
Best Frank Moment for me came in 2003. We were playing the Angels, and Washburn has a no hitter going in the 7th, and a 1-0 lead. Frank hit one out to tie the game. In the ninth inning, he stepped up and hit another bomb to win it. The Sox won, and the fans chanted MVP! It was amazing watching it. For the Sox, it was only 2 hits and 2 runs, and Frank singlehandedly won the game for us.