PDA

View Full Version : Frank gets a nice pat on the back from Congress

maurice
03-17-2005, 02:26 PM
IMHO, this deserves its own thread. The headlines in tomorrow's Chicago papers should read "Thomas appointed to co-chair congressional taskforce."

The congressional committee investigating steroids appointed Frank Thomas and Curt Schilling as co-chairs of a congressional taskforce. Both men were lauded by multiple congressmen for being outspoken critics of steroid use in baseball, even before it became fashionable to do so. The committee also made a point of introducing the two men before and separate from the players who have been accused of cheating.

Congratulations to Frank for receiving some of the public acknowledgement he's long deserved. :gulp:

spawn
03-17-2005, 02:35 PM
I've taken a lot of heat from Scrub fans for my support of Frank. Even when everyone in the media was down on him, and he was having his run-ins with Manuel, I always stuck to my guns and supported him. I am so happy I did so. And I'm extremely happy for Frank. All the slings and arrows he's taken over the years, the media blasting him (particularly Moronotti with his love affair with Scammy)undeservedly, he is finally being given vindication. I cannot wait until he first steps to the plate at The Cell. He should be given a standing ovation.

DaleJRFan
03-17-2005, 02:41 PM
I cannot wait until he first steps to the plate at The Cell. He should be given a standing ovation.

I agree and I hope they have to stop the game so the crowd can calm down. He deserves it and we owe it to him. Hopefully that game will be nationally televised so that the rest of the nation can see how real baseball fans appreciate a legit superstar ballplayer.

Irishsox1
03-17-2005, 02:45 PM
Now that steroids are out in the open and frauds have been exposed, does Frank get in the HOF now?

ja1022
03-17-2005, 02:49 PM
Now that steroids are out in the open and frauds have been exposed, does Frank get in the HOF now?

Five years after he retires he does.

SoxyStu
03-17-2005, 02:52 PM
Now that steroids are out in the open and frauds have been exposed...

Um, I'm not watching it on tv, but the notes that I have been reading about it leads me to ask the question - What the hell frauds were exposed today??????

From ESPN:
2:30 p.m.
Jose Canseco opens with his statement. He seems very nervous, and gives his condolences to the families who have been affected by steroids. He says he won't be able to give answers to every question because he was not given immunity.

Sammy Sosa comes next. His interpreter reads Sosa's opening statement, in which he denies ever taking steroids. Sosa himself adds little.

Mark McGwire is next. He's very serious and has a hard time getting words out in his opening statement. During his seven minute opening statement, he licks his lips while his voice shakes and he takes three drinks of water during tough moments. He explains the Catch-22 of the hearings: "If a player answers no, he simply will not be believed," McGwire said. "If he says yes, he faces endless scorn." McGwire offers to become a spokesman for baseball in their efforts against performance-enhancing drugs.

Rafael Palmiero then talks. He denies ever using steroids. In his opening statement, Curt Schilling blasts Canseco for writing his book and says he hopes this doesn't serve as a way to sell more books. He also defends baseball, citing that the league has made strides in recent years to curtail use of performance-enhancing drugs. Frank Thomas concludes the opening statements by joining via video conference. He denies ever taking steroids. 2:57 p.m.
A recess is announced.

maurice
03-17-2005, 03:03 PM
His interpreter reads Sosa's opening statement, in which he denies ever taking steroids.

I don't want this to turn into / merge with the thread in the "Talking Baseball" forum, but these reports are not entirely correct. Sosa's statement did not include a plain, blanket denial of steroid use, unlike Thomas and Palmero's statements. McGuire notably did not deny steroid use and appears like he plans to take the Fifth under false pretenses. See the other thread for more info.

Rush20
03-17-2005, 03:45 PM
I hope Frank has a strong season and JR and him bury the hatchet. I would love to see Frank sign a 2-3 year extension, obtain the stats necessary for the HOF (500 HRs, etc.), and end his career with the SOX. I would HATE to see him hit his 500th HR in a Devil Ray or Mariner uniform.....

DumpJerry
03-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Frank deserves a 20 minute standing O in his first game no matter what (that should give KW and Uncle Jerry second thoughts about the team option). It really burns me that the Chicago media does next to nothing to support Frank and until the Tribune Company unleashed their attack dogs, fell over themselves like frat boys with a swimsuit model over Scammy. :angry: Scammy's name should be associated with scorn, Frank is the model for kids everywhere who want to get ahead by playing within the rules.

Maybe we should start the talk that the Wood and Prior health problems are the result of a curse against the Flubs for allowing Scammy to play for them while cheating.

Congrats Frank! You're an example we can be proud of!:D:

gobears1987
03-17-2005, 04:54 PM
One of the congressman accidentally called Sosa "Sammy Soso"

DumpJerry
03-17-2005, 05:00 PM
One of the congressman accidentally called Sosa "Sammy Soso"
That was no "accident," it was a rare case of a politician speaking the truth.

itsnotrequired
03-17-2005, 05:11 PM
That was no "accident," it was a rare case of a politician speaking the truth.

BAM!

maurice
03-17-2005, 05:26 PM
I really hope that Schilling's BS gets him removed from the "co-chairman" position. He showed his true colors as a tool of MLB and the player's union. Frank should be sole chairman.

elrod
03-17-2005, 05:57 PM
Why is Schilling involved in this? The others are big beefy ballplayers. Is Schilling the MLBPA rep?

Vestigio
03-17-2005, 06:13 PM
I really hope that Schilling's BS gets him removed from the "co-chairman" position. He showed his true colors as a tool of MLB and the player's union. Frank should be sole chairman.

I havent seen any of the testimonies, but what did Schilling actually say or do?

MaggPipes
03-17-2005, 06:19 PM

Yeah, I believe that Schilling is not fit to be the poster child from his questiong in front of congress, he talked for awhile about how it has been blown up, and not a problem and how he completely bought the 1-2% testing postive, under the previous system. This whole statement led to a congressman asking Schilling if he thought steroids where not a huge deal in baseball, and Schilling replied a little red faced, and said something on the lines of ....it is a big problem as long as one person is taking them...

steff
03-17-2005, 06:54 PM
I hope Frank has a strong season and JR and him bury the hatchet. ...

What makes you think they have a "hatchet"...???

MaggPipes
03-17-2005, 07:22 PM
What makes you think they have a "hatchet"...???

I would say the diminished skills clause...

Daver
03-17-2005, 07:30 PM

Jerry Reinsdorf told Frank not to sign that contract.

steff
03-17-2005, 07:50 PM
Jerry Reinsdorf told Frank not to sign that contract.

Sure did.. and Frank kicked himself in the ass for not listening to him.

zach074
03-17-2005, 08:03 PM
So what does being a co-congresional task force member get Frank? I love how the goverment just pulls these kind of things out of their asses.:?:

steff
03-17-2005, 08:06 PM
So what does being a co-congresional task force member get Frank? I love how the goverment just pulls these kind of things out of their asses.:?:

Hopefully it means very little. I don't want Frank in the position to have to "tattle". JMO...

Tragg
03-17-2005, 09:59 PM
Frank should be in the hall of fame after 5 years, obviously.

This isn't a court of law - those who refuse to testify under oath that they didn't use steroids - no hall for you----period. Not sending them to jail, just not sending them to the hall. That's how I see it, anyway.

kingpin_rcs
03-17-2005, 10:44 PM
It's nice to hear this information about Frank but I have watched ESPN news and the WGN news and I have been all over chicagosports.com and espn.com and I do not see anything about what Frank said or what was said about him or what questions were asked. It's as if he wasn't there. Does anybody have a link or something?

Mohoney
03-17-2005, 11:26 PM

Which never should have come up in the first place, because Giambi cheated Frank out of the 2000 MVP.

Giambi really screwed Frank out of a lot of money.