PDA

View Full Version : Defense: Why Derek Jeter Sucks and Jose is Good

beausox
07-26-2001, 11:38 AM
There is a great site called www.baseballprospectus.com. One of the stats they like to talk about is range factor, or how many balls per game at a positon, someone can get to. It analyzes how much ground one can cover. Jose was like third in the league last year in this category, Jeter was close to the bottom. So what this said is taht Jeter, while making fewer errors, got to less balls, and covered less ground than Jose. Jose, made more errors, but also got to more balls than jeter did, holding runners to singles instead of doubles. I bring this up only because a few people on here have been praising Jeter for his glovework. For more info visit these three links.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/20010713sixfourthree.html

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/20000802huckabay.html

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/20010621daily.html

Iwritecode
07-26-2001, 11:47 AM
I believe Kermit introduced a lot of us to that site last year. Including all their crazy stats. We always knew that Jose had good range. It's just those routine plays he has trouble with...

doublem23
07-26-2001, 11:52 AM
Royce Clayton is the sixth best shortstop according to that second link...

Suddenly, that site's credibility shoots down.... Here's what they say:
6. Royce Clayton, Texas. I think Chris Kahrl and I both have something of a soft spot for Royce Clayton. Clayton is a ballplayer, despite not being a great hitter, and being pretty much an anti-BP offensive player. He has tremendous footwork, plays intelligently, makes one of the best cutoff throw targets in baseball--check out his target acquisition and rotation after he receives the ball, and make your high schoolers watch it--and has very soft hands.

:hitless
Pfft. I'm not #6. I'm #1 baby! And where's my chocolate dipped ice cream cone???

beausox
07-26-2001, 12:00 PM
It says he is the sixth best defensive SS. It also says he can't hit, which KW should've known.

doublem23
07-26-2001, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by beausox
It says he is the sixth best defensive SS. It also says he can't hit, which KW should've known.

Manos is a better defensive shortstop than Clayton, hands down.

WindyCityHusker
07-26-2001, 12:30 PM
Atleast they got one thing right, he does make nice cutoff throws...remember the Cubs game where he nailed Matthews Jr ( I believe?)

PaleHoseGeorge
07-26-2001, 12:40 PM
Atleast they got one thing right, he does make nice cutoff throws...remember the Cubs game where he nailed Matthews Jr ( I believe?)

I remember it. In fact, I would call it Royce's defensive highlight of the entire season. He nearly threw his arm out with that peg. It was damn fine play.

Otherwise he is overrated defensively. R&F were ripping on him and Durham last night because neither of them covered the bag on a pick off play. In fact, R&F have been ripping on the two of them all season for not covering second base. Don't these guys talk to one another?

As for Baseball Prospectus, be very careful using those defensive range statistics. Even Kermit would admit their reliability is shaky. There are simply too many other variables (like the length of the grass in the infield, for example) to read too much into them. Having said that, Valentin has tremendous range. His strong arm makes him great for turning double plays, too.

"Besides shortstop, I bet I'm good at second base, too!"
:manos