OF Danny Bautista
1B/3B Shea Hillenbrand
1B Richie Sexson
RP Matt Mantei
SP Casey Fossum
SP Steve Sparks
RP Jeff Fassero

General Outlook:
They're right up there with Oakland for the busiest offseason. They let Sexson walk and traded Johnson, but in return they managed to put together a much better team. While they certainly overpaid for several players, they are still a better team. Vazquez and Ortiz give them two front-line pitchers and a deeper rotation. I like what they did in order to improve an awful 51-win team. But while they are better, they really can't win the division. You have to think they'll regret giving out so much money when they are fighting for 4th place.

Possible starting lineup:
CF Jose Cruz Jr.
2B Craig Counsell
RF Shawn Green
3B Troy Glaus
LF Luis Gonzalez
1B Chad Tracy
C Koyie Hill
SS Royce Clayton

Well, it's better than last year. It's possible that Cruz and Counsell might be flipped and the same can be said for Green and Gonzalez. This is how the lineup should look, though. Their 3-4-5 is nice if they can all stay on the field. The problem is they don't really have a good leadoff man and Counsell and Clayton are both #8 hitters. One of them will bat 2nd if Cruz hits leadoff. Counsell seems like the favorite. Really, though, they'd be better off with Cintron at 2B and hitting second. For that matter, they'd be better off with Cintron at short and Hairston at second. But they want the veterans playing, so that's what they'll do. Their lineup would be much more dangerous with Cintron/Hairston, and their defense wouldn't suffer that much.

Possibly starting pitching rotation:
Javier Vazquez
Russ Ortiz
Brandon Webb
Shawn Estes
Brad Halsey/Oscar Villarreal

Once again, the theme of their offseason; depth. Last year they had two legitimate starters. They traded in one, RJ, for two, Vazquez and Ortiz. I like Vazquez's chances of turning things around and once again establishing himself as a front-line starter. Ortiz was overpaid, but he's a solid starter to go with Vazquez and Webb. Their 5th starter spot is still open. Their 4th starter spot should probably be open too. If either of their 4th or 5th starters pitches well, their rotation could be above average. Otherwise, it's good enough to keep them in some games but not good enough to win games solely. Their bullpen is mediocre as well. I like Aquino to become a good closer. But the relievers getting him the ball are not spectacular: Valverde, Koplove, the loser of the Halsey/Villarreal battle and Brandon Lyon. They are decent, but the D'backs need an upgrade here.

Overall Prediction:
4th place; 68-92

Player that will surprise:
1B Chad Tracy - He put up some good numbers last year and should only improve this year. He might be their best option as the #2 hitter in front of "the killer G's."

Player that will disappoint:
LF Luis Gonzalez - He's falling off as age takes its toll. He should be batting 5th, but is likely to start off batting 3rd. I don't see him having much left. His power has fallen off and he's just not the same hitter. I can't see him bouncing back well at the age of 37.

PAPChiSox729
03-17-2005, 03:35 PM
Good analysis. I agree that they are a better team. But they are no where near being a good team. The lineup is ok, but the only guy that scares me is Glaus and that is only if he is healthy. Their rotation is ok. Ortiz is good, but I wouldn't call him an ace. The bullpen is mediocre. I really don't hold much hope for that team. They are not contenders this year in that division.

Baby Fisk
03-18-2005, 07:57 AM
3rd or maybe even 2nd place is not out of the question for the Dbacks if they gel. Lots of new faces, and you never know what might happen. Bullpen will be a disappointment many a time tho. I just wish they'd pick a uniform and stay with it. Arizona's look is more schizophrenic than the Mets.

MeanFish
03-18-2005, 08:06 AM
3rd or maybe even 2nd place is not out of the question for the Dbacks if they gel. Lots of new faces, and you never know what might happen. Bullpen will be a disappointment many a time tho. I just wish they'd pick a uniform and stay with it. Arizona's look is more schizophrenic than the Mets.

I still think the Mets should make their ST jerseys into their regular season ones. If you're going to be unique, go for broke.