PDA

View Full Version : Maxim picks White Sox 1st in Division

cbrownson13
03-17-2005, 12:15 AM
I thought we were flying under the radar? What happened? I got the new Maxim today and it has a fantasy baseball thing and then they had Fox Sports play by play man, Kenny Albert give predictions...

AL Central:
1. Chicago
2. Minnesota
3. Detroit
4. Cleveland
5. Kansas City

He says this, "Ozzie Guillen is in his second year as manager, and I think that will help. But I know as well as anyone that come October everything I'm saying could be wrong."

So he side steps his prediction by saying he may be wrong. Plus his World Series pick is Cubs vs Yankees. :rolleyes:

The Spaz
03-17-2005, 12:23 AM
I love that magazine for many reasons.:cool::D::bandance:

SluggersAway
03-17-2005, 12:25 AM
Unfortunately, Scrubs v. Spanks takes away all of his credibility.

fquaye149
03-17-2005, 04:21 AM
He says this, "Ozzie Guillen is in his second year as manager, and I think that will help. But I know as well as anyone that come October everything I'm saying could be wrong."

So he side steps his prediction by saying he may be wrong. Plus his World Series pick is Cubs vs Yankees. :rolleyes:

Every prognosticator should say the same thing when he releases his preseason report. It's far too unspoken that these so-called reporters are more or less like your coworker who doesn't watch basketball filling out the march madness pool -

"ooh. The Cubs... I've heard of them! They should go to the world series against....oh yeah! The Yankees? They're good right?

"The Indians...I remember hearing about how they were good and young last year. Should I bother looking anything up? Naw. I'll pencil them in for 2nd behind...oooh! The Twins win that division a lot right?...Oh but the White Sox have Carlton Fisk and Jack McDowell. They're good too! Oh, it's so hard to pick!"

Fredsox
03-17-2005, 05:51 AM
Unfortunately, Scrubs v. Spanks takes away all of his credibility.

Word. These are safe predictions based upon nothing but the reputations of the teams, not on their capabilities. Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone really think that the Cubs' starting pitching will last 162 games? They can't even make it through spring training.

Anyway, it's nice that they picked us first, but there is a lot of unknowns out there. We SHOULD win the division, just like the last 3 years. We'll see what happens.

itsnotrequired
03-17-2005, 06:46 AM
Finally, a quality media outlet picks the Sox to win. I hear Good Houskeeping picked the Sox as well.

SOXSINCE'70
03-17-2005, 08:51 AM
I love that magazine for many reasons.:cool::D::bandance:

The January issue with Eva Longoria on the cover
is one of mine.:D: :D: :D: :bandance:

Frank the Tank
03-17-2005, 09:05 AM
Maxim picking the Sox to win the Central is good news. Maxim is never wrong.

NonetheLoaiza
03-17-2005, 09:08 AM
I don't understand how people can still be picking the Cubs for the World Series when they have GLARING holes in their lineup. They would be a long shot to make the playoffs, much less the World Series...

FightingBillini
03-17-2005, 09:24 AM
I don't understand how people can still be picking the Cubs for the World Series when they have GLARING holes in their lineup. They would be a long shot to make the playoffs, much less the World Series...

Well, the Cubs are now officially a long shot to finish second. They might finish as high as third, but this is not a playoff team by any means.

ewokpelts
03-17-2005, 10:28 AM
The January issue with Eva Longoria on the cover
is one of mine.:D: :D: :D: :bandance: Any issue with Angelina is my top reason to read it...(the second reason is them picking the sox to win the central)
Gene

LVSoxFan
03-17-2005, 10:56 AM
If the Cubs' #1 and #2 are in and out with injuries this year, they'll be lucky to finish 3rd. Which, of course, is fine with me.

I saw the Maxim thing too.

IMO, you just cannot call the Comedy Central right now. It is such a toss-up. You've got the Twins, who usually win and whom you can never count out.

The Indians I think are going to be awfully strong and ready to take our place as the contender. Detroit has made some serious additions and I wouldn't count them out at all. KC will continue to suck.

We could win it all, or we could be third--oughta be interesting. We've spent all winter speculating; I'm ready to just sit back and see how it all plays out.

MeanFish
03-17-2005, 01:16 PM
I'd like to go a step further and say that you can no longer call the AL Central the Comedy Central anymore, because the division is probably stronger than the AL West this year. The winner of this division will have done so because they stepped up and beat some solid competition. It will be a team that's at least capable of beating anyone in the league.

Iwritecode
03-17-2005, 01:36 PM
I'd like to go a step further and say that you can no longer call the AL Central the Comedy Central anymore, because the division is probably stronger than the AL West this year. The winner of this division will have done so because they stepped up and beat some solid competition. It will be a team that's at least capable of beating anyone in the league.

I'm sorry but I can't say that the Central is stronger than the West when we get to play the Royals 19 times a year...

MeanFish
03-17-2005, 02:10 PM
I'm sorry but I can't say that the Central is stronger than the West when we get to play the Royals 19 times a year...

The Royals probably won't be as bad as people seem to think as they've got a quietly productive lineup in place with a surprising amount of depth. People often cite their pitching as their inevitable downfall and while that's certainly what keeps them from being out of the cellar it *might* not be that bad. The rotation is shaky at best, but with Runelvys Hernandez and Jimmy Gobble likely taking the 4 and 5 spots behind Greinke, Lima and Anderson there's a chance -- not a great chance, but just a chance -- that they might be respectable.

Fake Chet Lemon
03-17-2005, 07:59 PM
I don't think the Al Central is as tough as people are making it out to be. Other than the Sox and Twins, starting pitching BLOWS. Especially the Tigers, why is everyone so hyped about that team and their starters? As far as the NL Central, if the Reds stay healthy they WILL finish ahead of the Cubs. I like the rotation the Reds put together and I love their lineup.

MeanFish
03-17-2005, 09:00 PM
Starting pitching in this division isn't any less deep than the starting pitching in any OTHER division. Let's compare the bottom 3 staffs from each division, shall we?

Given that the Yankees and Red Sox are the class of the AL East, we're looking at the Devil Rays, Blue Jays and Orioles from that division in comparison to the Royals, Tigers, and Indians. Honestly, I think that the Tigers and Orioles compare about evenly (shallow SP with a decent pen) as do the Blue Jays and Indians (good top of the rotation with almost no bullpen and developing talent and veterans at the bottom of the rotation) and the Royals and Devil Rays are about even in the pitching category as well (lots and lots and lots of developing arms.)

Now, let's look at the AL West. I'll be generous and say that where pitching is concerned the A's are still the class of the division. The Angels staff isn't very overpowering, and compares similarly (though is admittedly a little better) with the Indians in that they both have a good top of the rotation with talent on the bottom and one or two reliable arms in the pen. The Tigers compare fairly well to the Rangers, in that they don't have great rotations but a decent bullpen, and the Royals staff has more in common with the Mariners staff than you might think (and I feel that would be compounded if park effects were taken into consideration).

I'm not trying to convince anyone that the AL Central is the strongest division in the league. Not at all. I just don't like to see it referred to as a joke when that is simply no longer the case. It's no more of a joke than the NL West, that's for sure. And last I checked, the Dodgers, Giants and Padres were all nationally respected teams.

zach074
03-17-2005, 09:08 PM
Thank God the real experts at Maxim picked us or else I would have lost all optimism for this season.

Fake Chet Lemon
03-17-2005, 10:07 PM
Starting pitching in this division isn't any less deep than the starting pitching in any OTHER division. Let's compare the bottom 3 staffs from each division, shall we?

Agreed, but nobody is touting the other three bottom teams in the East as division winners like they are in the Central. That was my entire point, but I wasn't that clear.

npdempse
03-18-2005, 02:19 AM
GQ is saying Detroit because of "strong pitching."

:?:

Shaddup and play ball.

Rush20
03-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Proof again that I buy that magazine for the articles only!!!! :smile:

WhiteSoxFan84
03-18-2005, 04:28 PM
Road & Track has the Sox finishing first because they love the teams speed.

Consumer Reports picked us 3rd because of the damaged goods we have (Hernandez, Dye, Thomas, etc.).