PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Walker

veeter
03-16-2005, 10:47 PM
I've been pleasantly surprised with Walker. In the small sample that is spring training, he looks good. He's efficient with his pitches and has good control. I think he may be another Kenny Williams obscure find. That list includes: Juan Uribe, Cliff Politte, Jamie Burke, Ross Gload, John Adkins and others. These are guys I would say noone wanted(including their own original organization) but Kenny and his staff saw the talent.

PAPChiSox729
03-16-2005, 10:50 PM
I've been pleasantly surprised with Walker. In the small sample that is spring training, he looks good. He's efficient with his pitches and has good control. I think he may be another Kenny Williams obscure find. That list includes: Juan Uribe, Cliff Politte, Jamie Burke, Ross Gload, John Adkins and others. These are guys I would say noone wanted(including their own original organization) but Kenny and his staff saw the talent.

Do you have his ST stats? It would be nice to have Walker make the team and send Cotts to AAA but I just don't see that happening.

dugwood31
03-16-2005, 10:53 PM
I would add Marte to this list. Loaiza too. I'm not sure Politte was obscure, he was a pretty established big leaguer, who had spent time as the closer in Toronto. Adkins was a fairly hot prospect too, and we gave up Ray Durham for him. Overall, though, I agree that Kenny's strength has been finding guys like that. It's the high-profile moves that blow up in our collective face.

DickAllen72
03-16-2005, 10:56 PM
Do you have his ST stats? It would be nice to have Walker make the team and send Cotts to AAA but I just don't see that happening.
I believe his ERA is 0.00 to date this spring.

veeter
03-16-2005, 10:58 PM
Walker's stats: 5 app./ 6IP/ 0.00 ERA/ 1hit/ 1hbp/ 3k It seems like his innings last 2 minutes. Today I saw him warming up and turned away. Next thing I know he's walking off the field, inning over.

Banix12
03-16-2005, 11:15 PM
Does anybody know when he's been used in games. Has he gotten some time in early innings to face major leaguers or has his time been mostly against minor leaguers?

JUribe1989
03-17-2005, 08:09 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that he should make the team over Neal Cotts. Cotts needs more time to develop in the minors and Walker looks like the real deal.

California Sox
03-18-2005, 10:16 AM
I saw him throw an inning. He looked good. He doesn't throw super hard or anything, but he worked quick and he threw strikes. Those are two things Cotts struggles with.

mdep524
03-18-2005, 12:02 PM
FWIW, here's what the Cubune had to say on the issue today:

Neal Cotts would be the second left-handed reliever, but Kevin Walker is getting an extended look and could make the squad if they opt to carry three left-handers on a 12-man staff.
I love how this team, traditionally searching high and low for ANYBODY to step up in these kind of roles, now has the good problem of too much depth! :gulp:

MaggPipes
03-18-2005, 12:05 PM
I think that Cotts and McCarthy should start the year at AAA with Munoz and Diaz. This would be quite the group of young strarters there, and possibly with Adkins. This would get them all consistant innings that they will not get in the majors, and who knows, maybe they can learn something from McCarthy. I think then you call up McCarthy or Cotts later in the season when Contreras faulters, or there is an injury (knock on wood).