PDA

View Full Version : Ozuna- lock for utilty infielder spot?

mdep524
03-16-2005, 08:58 PM
Coming off a successful season in the minors, Pablo Ozuna has been tearing it up at the plate this spring- he's currently batting .462 with 4 doubles. Every time I see him he's looked great with the bat, hitting line drives to every part of the field.

I haven't seen him much on defense, can anyone evaluate his skills with the glove? Because if he's a solid defender, you have to figure he has a pretty good grip on this utility infielder spot.

SluggersAway
03-16-2005, 09:09 PM
This is one of the problems with ST. The guys who don't have a lock on a roster slot play their heart out while guys with million dollar salaries can coast on through to opening day. Ozuna looks good, but his performance doesn't equate with a regular season game. But, who can say a player is performing at the highest level against others who are also giving it their all? You can't, some folks are, and some are just coasting. So without watching every game with in-depth knowledge it is very hard to predict how any rookie will play out during the season.

Maybe, they should have one camp (or games) for guaranteed players and another for potential ones. I know they have b-games and minor camp, but ST just seems like one big crap shoot nonetheless.

veeter
03-16-2005, 10:29 PM
What I want and look for in a utility guy is a solid glove. Then he could be a late inning defensive replacement as well. Ozuna is hitting very well but I refer back to Greg Norton again, who would own cactus league pitching. The main thing is Ozuna looks like he'll make a lot of contact which is key. From the plays I've seen Ozuna make, his arm looks good, his glove good but his range seems average. I think he's a lock as of now. I think he'll hit .270 and make the plays he gets to. The Sox could do a whole lot worse. Go Pablo!!!

Banix12
03-16-2005, 10:32 PM
Most places I have read don't rate his glove very high, though I haven't really seen anything negative in the bit I have seen this spring.

I don't think I would call him a lock for the utility infielder spot. I do think though he has moved ahead of Wilson Valdez as an in house solution for this season, at least the start of it. I don't know whether he has moved ahead of Willie Harris yet. I know Ozuna's bat has been better this spring but I think the Sox Brass still favor Willie over Ozuna, mostly as an insurance policy for Iguchi. It could be possible they carry both to start the season and dump one when Thomas returns from the DL.

balke
03-16-2005, 10:40 PM
I saw a couple plays in the field where I thought he was Uribe. I was impressed by some quick put-outs on slowrollers.

Then I saw the REAL Uribe playing short and was like "WOW". So as far as watching 2 shortstops he was pretty impressive, but no starter probably. I like his play so far. I say if he keeps it up, and can produce in some call-up roles, perhaps he's the utility guy. I haven't been very impressed with Valdez.

PAPChiSox729
03-16-2005, 10:45 PM
I wouldn't call him a lock. There is still a lot of ST to go. I do think that he is the leading candidate for the utility IF spot though.

slavko
03-16-2005, 10:46 PM
I saw a couple plays in the field where I thought he was Uribe. I was impressed by some quick put-outs on slowrollers.

Then I saw the REAL Uribe playing short and was like "WOW". So as far as watching 2 shortstops he was pretty impressive, but no starter probably. I like his play so far. I say if he keeps it up, and can produce in some call-up roles, perhaps he's the utility guy. I haven't been very impressed with Valdez.

You probably weren't one of the many posters who were whining and moaning for Omar Vizquel not that long ago. What a waste of money that would have been.

dugwood31
03-16-2005, 10:55 PM
I think Ozuna might have the edge because he's an option at 3rd. Apparently Valdez doesn't play 3rd, or play it well...

DickAllen72
03-16-2005, 11:04 PM
I know Ozuna's bat has been better this spring but I think the Sox Brass still favor Willie over Ozuna, mostly as an insurance policy for Iguchi. It could be possible they carry both to start the season and dump one when Thomas returns from the DL.

Barring a trade or injury, they should carry both Ozuna and Willie to start the season, then when Frank comes off the DL, Everett slides from DH to fourth outfielder leaving Timo the odd man out. Harris can play CF, LF, some SS as well as 2B, while Timo only plays OF. They're both LH hitters, but Willie is much faster, younger and cheaper.

mdep524
03-16-2005, 11:22 PM
Barring a trade or injury, they should carry both Ozuna and Willie to start the season, then when Frank comes off the DL, Everett slides from DH to fourth outfielder leaving Timo the odd man out. Harris can play CF, LF, some SS as well as 2B, while Timo only plays OF. They're both LH hitters, but Willie is much faster, younger and cheaper....you forgot to mention "and worse." I'd rather have clutch Timo around thn Willie. KW and OG will definitely have some decisions to make when Frank gets back (assuming everyone else is healthy). What if Crazy Carl is on a tear, will he all of a sudden be riding the bench? Split time w/ Pods? Dye? Who gets cut/demoted?

But anyway, I am hijicking my own thread. I agree with you that both Willie and Ozuna will go north with the team.

Ol' No. 2
03-16-2005, 11:24 PM
...you forgot to mention "and worse." I'd rather have clutch Timo around thn Willie. KW and OG will definitely have some decisions to make when Frank gets back (assuming everyone else is healthy). What if Crazy Carl is on a tear, will he all of a sudden be riding the bench? Split time w/ Pods? Dye? Who gets cut/demoted?

But anyway, I am hijicking my own thread. I agree with you that both Willie and Ozuna will go north with the team.Nice problem to have, though, eh?:smile:

mdep524
03-16-2005, 11:30 PM
Nice problem to have, though, eh?:smile:Definitely. :)

balke
03-16-2005, 11:32 PM
You probably weren't one of the many posters who were whining and moaning for Omar Vizquel not that long ago. What a waste of money that would have been.

I don't know how to read that sarcasm....

But I will say that I didn't care much for a Vizquel. I said if they were going to do something at SS, they might as well go for it, and try to pick up a star. Its funny that they want that leader at SS now, but they never went out and got Tejada like everyone reported they would during his free agent season. Then that one guy went to play on the other side of town. I'm happy with Uribe, he's not even a question mark for me right now.

Rocklive99
03-17-2005, 01:34 AM
Was it Ozuna that everyone in chat was mad at after a half-butt effort to get to a ground ball against the Flubs the other day? It was either him or Valdez. I didn't like that

balke
03-17-2005, 01:39 AM
Was it Ozuna that everyone in chat was mad at after a half-butt effort to get to a ground ball against the Flubs the other day? It was either him or Valdez. I didn't like that

Yeah, he tried turning a double play too fast and committed a 2-run error. He's done some good things too. Before that one play I was pretty high on him.

SoxFan76
03-17-2005, 02:13 AM
Barring a trade or injury, they should carry both Ozuna and Willie to start the season, then when Frank comes off the DL, Everett slides from DH to fourth outfielder leaving Timo the odd man out. Harris can play CF, LF, some SS as well as 2B, while Timo only plays OF. They're both LH hitters, but Willie is much faster, younger and cheaper.

You gotta be kidding....Timo Perez: Flying Under The Radar.