PDA

View Full Version : Mankato Free Press rips on "Crybaby" Cubs

Nellie_Fox
03-16-2005, 12:25 AM
Yes, our little local paper tears into the Cubs today. Their baseball writer, Ed Thoma, is actually pretty good at analyzing teams. I obviously can't post the entire article, and unfortunately I can't post a link, as they not only require registration, but you have to be a subscriber to get a password. I'll give you a little taste of what he has to say, though: ...part of it came from the team's demeanor, which basically boiled down to: "It's not my fault." The 2004 Cubs spent the season barking at the umpires, whining about the broadcasters, boycotting the writers and avoiding mirrors.

The "Loveable Losers" were no longer loveable. And they still didn't win - at least not enough.

He also calls out Dusty for being thin-skinned, and talks about how they haven't improved themselves in the offseason.

I scanned the article into an Adobe Acrobat file (.pdf) to send to a couple of people. If anyone is really interested, let me know and I'll send it to you.

FightingBillini
03-16-2005, 01:26 AM
All I have to say is::thumbsup:

Its a shame we dont get such in depth reporting from the Chicago media. I can't blame them, though. How would you find the time to write such a critical article when you were asking Mia Hamm if she loves the city and what she thinks of the "curse"?

Ol' No. 2
03-16-2005, 09:37 AM
Yes, our little local paper tears into the Cubs today. Their baseball writer, Ed Thoma, is actually pretty good at analyzing teams. I obviously can't post the entire article, and unfortunately I can't post a link, as they not only require registration, but you have to be a subscriber to get a password. I'll give you a little taste of what he has to say, though:

He also calls out Dusty for being thin-skinned, and talks about how they haven't improved themselves in the offseason.

I scanned the article into an Adobe Acrobat file (.pdf) to send to a couple of people. If anyone is really interested, let me know and I'll send it to you.Sounds like it's worth the price of a subscription just for this one article.:D:

Fake Chet Lemon
03-17-2005, 10:11 PM
Shocking, but even my Cubbie-Kool-Aid drinking friends remarked numerous times last year to me that they didn't "like" the team, and not in reference to its talent.

Dan H
03-18-2005, 09:37 AM
This truly hit the nail on the head. The angst from 2004 is still here for the Cubs. They will win nothing. Not this year or in the near future. The whole organization has no class, but there will be plenty of suckers ready to sit in those new bleachers.

Brian26
03-18-2005, 09:54 AM
This truly hit the nail on the head. The angst from 2004 is still here for the Cubs. They will win nothing. Not this year or in the near future. The whole organization has no class, but there will be plenty of suckers ready to sit in those new bleachers.

Yep, and only because it's the "in" thing to do. Most of the people there don't go because they really care about the Cubs success. They go because it's a party.