PDA

View Full Version : Andy the Clown

gary
03-15-2005, 06:54 PM
Does anyone know what happened to Andy the Clown?

SaltyPretzel
03-15-2005, 07:40 PM
He died about 12 years ago.

Johnny Mostil
03-15-2005, 08:18 PM
He died about 12 years ago.

Anybody have an obit?

baseball_fanatic
03-15-2005, 08:38 PM
For a minute, I thought you were talking about the poster by that name on ESPN.com.

paciorek1983
03-15-2005, 11:45 PM
For a minute, I thought you were talking about the poster by that name on ESPN.com.

I thought he was talking about Steve Phillips .:redneck

Medford Bobby
03-16-2005, 01:30 AM
:(: Sox management strapped Andy on the wrecking ball at Old Comiskey and his glowing nose was never seen again...........:whiner:

I've got footage of Andy talking about his treatment by Sox management near the end of the 1990 season..........:(:

BainesHOF
03-16-2005, 01:53 AM
Anyone have an autographed card of Andy that he used to give out? I never got one, but would really like one for my collection. I can trade you a DVD of the last game at Comiskey for it.

MIgrenade
03-16-2005, 02:13 AM
Who is Andy the Clown? Something tells me I should know but I don't.

Nellie_Fox
03-16-2005, 02:20 AM
Who is Andy the Clown? Something tells me I should know but I don't.You must be very young. Andy the Clown used to wander around the stands at old Comiskey, with his red nose flashing, yelling "go you White Sox."

As far as I know, he was never an official mascot and paid his own way in to the park. In reality, he was pretty lame, but a lot of people loved him, and the failure of Sox management to support him caused some hard feelings.

SOXintheBURGH
03-16-2005, 02:46 AM
You must be very young. Andy the Clown used to wander around the stands at old Comiskey, with his red nose flashing, yelling "go you White Sox."

As far as I know, he was never an official mascot and paid his own way in to the park. In reality, he was pretty lame, but a lot of people loved him, and the failure of Sox management to support him caused some hard feelings.

I'm kinda young in the regards that my distinct Old Comiskey memories are only favorite players, uniforms, and green seats.

This sounds very Cubbish to me, but hey, I was like 8.

Parrothead
03-16-2005, 06:26 AM
Anybody have an obit?

I have one but it is too big 1254 kb. If someone could help me out I could upload it.

ondafarm
03-16-2005, 06:44 AM
While walking with a friend of mine , we were trying to cross Cottage Grove on 55th St when a car slammed to a stop and nearly hit us. We both stepped back and looked at the driver, Andy the Clown in full regalia and make up. I looked at my friend and said, "That clown nearly ran us over." He obviously lip read because he laughed, waved and then continued on safely. It was the last time I saw him, in 1990.

davenicholson
03-16-2005, 08:45 AM
I have a picture of him with the then newly-minted Mrs. davenicholson, circa 1982. I didn't notice it at the time, but upon further review, it is plain to see that his hand was on/near a place where one would not normally like to see a clown's hand.

Frater Perdurabo
03-16-2005, 09:00 AM
I have a picture of him with the then newly-minted Mrs. davenicholson, circa 1982. I didn't notice it at the time, but upon further review, it is plain to see that his hand was on/near a place where one would not normally like to see a clown's hand.

Too funny! :)

JKryl
03-16-2005, 09:46 AM
Please don't hate me for this, but in doing a web search for Andy the Clown, I ran across this site that I thought Sox fans would find to be amusing. It's the site of Ronnie Woo Woo, the "Andy the Clown" of the Cubs. I can't believe they would waste the electrons it takes to manage this site, but here it is for your amusement. http://www.ronniewoowoo.com/suntimes.htm

daslobo
03-16-2005, 09:50 AM
Andy the clown was anything but cubbish. He used to get a whole section at a time to yell CMOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNN and keep it up until everyone was yelling and then a pause and all at once GO YOU WHITE SOX!!!!!. It was awesome. Really got the crowd pumped and it was LOUD. One of my favorite things about old Comiskey.

THE_HOOTER
03-16-2005, 10:01 AM
Andy the clown was anything but cubbish. He used to get a whole section at a time to yell CMOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNN and keep it up until everyone was yelling and then a pause and all at once GO YOU WHITE SOX!!!!!. It was awesome. Really got the crowd pumped and it was LOUD. One of my favorite things about old Comiskey.

Please don't leave out that he charged money for the cheer.

That was his main focus---

Irishsox1
03-16-2005, 10:27 AM
Harsh post The Hooter! I never gave Andy the Clown money, but he was there a lot. That adds up, money wise. I don't blame him. On the whole Andy wasn't as annoying as Ronnie Woo Woo. Andy would lead a cheer, Ronnie Woo Woo has that annoying thing he does and it's a lot like watching a person who is mentally handcapped try to speak and people laughing at it. Drunken Cubs fans shouldn't egg him on.

Andy was part of Comiskey of the mid to late '70's, before Reinsdorf bought the team. Comiskey back then was full of smoke (you sould smoke at your seat), but there also was a lot of pot being smoked. I believe you could get hard drinks along with beer. But as soon as Reinsdorf bought the team, he changed the White Sox to family fun. Hard liquor, smoking, excessive drunks and fighting all had to go. Andy was part of that, but somehow he stuck on, but once they moved to the new stadium, Andy had to go. It's a shame, but some things have to end.

Personally, I was always creeped out by the guy, partly because of John Wayne Gacy. My parents told me that Gacy dressed up as a clown and from then on clowns always freeked me out...they still do.

chisoxfan64
03-16-2005, 11:50 AM
Andy the clown is definitley part of my memories growing up at old comiskey. I have a couple of his business cards that he used to pass out, picture of him in clown gear but not autographed.

Medford Bobby
03-16-2005, 12:07 PM
:smile: Andy told me he did get a little money from the Sox, but used it all to coverthe expense of passing out photos to fans who requested an autograph. So most of that was out of pocket, so that's why he'd ask for a donation.

:cool: For the most part Andy was pure southside charm of long ago "working guy"
back of the yards spirit that made up the fan base baseball of White Sox history.

Now the new park has the charm of shopping mall to go with the yuppies that are renovating the neighboorhoods around the south side, and Andy would not fit in the high tech video game era that most new fans are occupied with .
When you went to Old Comiskey, you got a hot dog and a cold beer. Now you can get several varieties of food, video games for the kids, a new fundamental playground being build. Heck maybe if you are bored with all the bread and circus's going on, you can also check out the BALL GAME too........:bandance:

chuckn98229
03-16-2005, 12:36 PM
:smile: When you went to Old Comiskey, you got a hot dog and a cold beer. BALL GAME too........:bandance:

and another cold beer, and another cold beer, and another cold beer, and another cold beer, and another cold beer, and another and another and......

I don't remember much else except maybe a 4 foot stack of empty beer cups.

Fenway
03-16-2005, 12:42 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/OldComiskey/EmbarassingMoments.html

Andy is on that page

I always wondered how he got to the park dressed like that

ondafarm
03-16-2005, 12:51 PM
Personally, I was always creeped out by the guy, . . .clowns always freeked me out...they still do.

So, clowns freak you out

I know a doctor who can help you with that.

PatK
03-16-2005, 12:52 PM
Brandmeier used to have him on all the time.

I remember one time, they had Andy on and he seemed a little liquored up, and his cheer sounded like he went "Commmmmonnnnnnnnnn You Bastards". You couldn't really tell, because during "bastard", his phone clicked like he had another call coming in.

Andy was also at the Danny Bonaduce/Donny Osmond fight at the China Club. I bought him a drink (don't remember what or if he drank it) and got my picture with him.

LVSoxFan
03-16-2005, 12:54 PM
You beat me to it! I was just gonna say: OMG, the Sox had a Ronnie "Woo Woo"?

That's one of the things I use to skewer my Cub fan friends: "Well, hey: at least we don't have Ronnie Woo Woo, that moron!"

SpringfldFan
03-16-2005, 12:54 PM
and another cold beer, and another cold beer, and another cold beer, and another cold beer, and another cold beer, and another and another and......

I don't remember much else except maybe a 4 foot stack of empty beer cups.

The Old Comiskey environment was blue collar, rude and irreverant - and no matter where you were, something would be dripping on you - and I loved it!!!

Bucky F. Dent
03-16-2005, 12:56 PM
Right there with ya, Irish!

Never been a big clown fan, and frankly Andy creeped me out about as much as any of them. Don't wish him ill mind you, but am pretty happy knowing that no one has taken up the role of _____ the clown with his passing.

eriqjaffe
03-16-2005, 12:57 PM
That's one of the things I use to skewer my Cub fan friends: "Well, hey: at least we don't have Ronnie Woo Woo, that moron!"Woo Woo = Quasi-homeless guy with Tourette's.
Clown = Scary guy who may kill you at night.

There is a difference. ;)

Medford Bobby
03-16-2005, 12:58 PM
:?: And the park would be full of smoke......almost everyone including the kids too...smoking!!! The smell of fat stogies was everywhere...you could get a lifetime of cigarette smoke at one Old Comiskey game.......:redneck

Where do they allow the smokers now......? Outside the park? Milwaukee?

Sad
03-16-2005, 01:01 PM
you can smoke em if ya got em on the concourse... as of last year...

HomeFish
03-16-2005, 01:05 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_the_Clown

Best article I've seen on it.

maurice
03-16-2005, 01:23 PM
The smell of fat stogies was everywhere...

No doubt. Every time I think of Old Comiskey, my first thought is the ever-present smell of cigar smoke . . . not the cigars themselves, just the smell. In fact, when the park was almost empty before BP on opening day, it still smelled like cigars.
:gulp:

chuckn98229
03-16-2005, 01:24 PM

Thanks for finding that and posting it. Brought back a few memories. It's a shame that current White Sox management has such a sorry history of treating people shabbily.

Medford Bobby
03-16-2005, 01:45 PM
:smile: I believe the old park had a tobacco shop as well they even use to bottle soda for games too......

Funny thing is the Tropicana Field has a cigar bar...:redneck

LVSoxFan
03-16-2005, 01:53 PM
That was a great link, HomeFish--what a sad story.

He really was the Ronnie Woo Woo back then for the Sox.

I wonder if Ronnie Woo Woo gets in free, too--he must. But some people said that when the Flubs made the playoffs two years ago, he wasn't there, which I found odd.

The great irony of JR giving the clown the boot was that they then brought in the new mascots--which were absurd (as is the new one). Wow. What an updgrade.

Foulke You
03-16-2005, 04:13 PM
Please don't hate me for this, but in doing a web search for Andy the Clown, I ran across this site that I thought Sox fans would find to be amusing. It's the site of Ronnie Woo Woo, the "Andy the Clown" of the Cubs. I can't believe they would waste the electrons it takes to manage this site, but here it is for your amusement. http://www.ronniewoowoo.com/suntimes.htm

OMG!! It is pretty ridiculous that this idiot has his own website but a friggin documentary DVD???!!! "WOO LIFE" Give me a break!! What moron would buy this? Here is an exerpt from the documentary description:

"Woo Life is a reminder, a lesson, that life is about following your heart wherever it takes you and that there is more than one path in life"

Here is one that portrays the south side as evil and the north side as the heaven that saved him:

"...a young Ronnie becomes inspired after watching Jackie Robinson play at Wrigley Field and flees his unloving home on the South Side in search of a better life on the North Side. What Ronnie discovers in the bleachers of Wrigley Field is a foster family of Cub fans and baseball players that awakened his spirit and gave him a feeling of self-worth, respect and love that was never there for him with his biological family."

:chunks

I want Mags back
03-16-2005, 04:41 PM
You must be very young. Andy the Clown used to wander around the stands at old Comiskey, with his red nose flashing, yelling "go you White Sox."

So your saying WE had a Ronnie woo-woo

chuckn98229
03-16-2005, 04:46 PM
Please stop saying that Andy the Clown was the White Sox woo-woo. There is no comparison between the two.

jackbrohamer
03-16-2005, 04:53 PM
Wow. :kukoo: :nuts: Although I agree with the Joe Mantegna quote on the page calling him "the perfect Cub fan." He is definitely a cluleless loser, and thus the perfect Cub fan.

SoxyStu
03-16-2005, 07:43 PM
Whatever you think of Andy - being cubbish or not - the memory makes me nostalgic of the great times at Comiskey as a youngin'.

MikeW
03-16-2005, 10:29 PM
Andy the Clown brings back some childhood memories for me as I grew up in New Jersey and never got to see the White Sox play on TV unless it was against the Yankees or a Game of the Week. Back in 60's I would hear this loud voice saying "C'mon you White Soxxxx" especially during games that had only a few thousand in attendence. I recall when Yankees announcer Phil Rizzutto was doing the game and Andy was really loud it seemed to bother Phil and he kept asking his producer on Channel 11 who in the world was making all the noise and he said to his audience that he couldn't concentrate because some clown was yelling all the time and distracting him!

mike squires
03-16-2005, 10:53 PM
I've got a lot of pre and post game of the final game at Comiskey and they interviewed Andy. He was getting emotional when talking about his late wife and the ol' yard. He didn't miss the opportunity to lay one on some female analyst. Can't think of her name right now...

Whitesox029
03-16-2005, 10:57 PM
I was about 3 years old the last time I saw Andy...and I was terrified of him. My parents have never let me hear the end of it. Apparently, when I saw him, I would say "I think we should go home now..."
You'll be happy to know that I have never uttered that phrase at a Sox game since Andy the Clown.

mike squires
03-16-2005, 11:03 PM
I also have some footage of Andy at Game 4 of the 1983 ALCS. He's standing behind homplate in the golden boxes when Law struck out in the 9th with a runner on third. He found a way to get in the lower deck that game!

TomC727
03-16-2005, 11:10 PM
I remember meeting Andy the Clown when I was a little guy (I am 22 now). He was an awesome guy and he was kinda a friend of the family. It was sad when he died. All you younger white sox fans need to brush up on the White Sox info.

BigEdWalsh
03-17-2005, 07:27 AM
I remember meeting Andy the Clown when I was a little guy (I am 22 now). He was an awesome guy and he was kinda a friend of the family. It was sad when he died. All you younger white sox fans need to brush up on the White Sox info.

That's it in a nutshell.
Andy the Clown was kinda cool. Man, did he have a set of pipes. No matter if he was in the furthest part of the ballpark from you, you could hear him yelling. I have especially fond memories of his "C'MOOOOOOOOOOOOON HERSHBERGERRRRRRRR!!". The guy was just a nice old man who happened to dig being a clown and was an avid Sox fan. I started going to games just about the same time he appeared as a regular. He WAS part of the Comiskey Park charm. And I hate clowns.
As for Ronnie Woo Woo, I love to make fun of the guy's "Woo Woo!" but I don't hate the guy. I hate how he has become a "celebrity".

Fisk72
03-17-2005, 11:10 AM
Here's Andy's obit from the Tribune:
-----------------------------------

Date: Sunday, September 24, 1995
Edition: CHICAGOLAND FINAL
Section: METRO CHICAGO
Page: 6
Zone: C
Source: By Stacey Singer, Tribune Staff Writer.
Illustration: PHOTO

ANDREW ROZDILSKY, 77, CLOWN FOR SOX

For 30 years, White Sox fans at Comiskey Park cheered on the antics of an entertainer known as Andy the Clown.

The man beneath the greasepaint and glowing red nose, Andrew Rozdilsky, died at age 77 on Thursday after succumbing to a heart attack in his Southwest Side home.

Mr. Rozdilsky was born Dec. 6, 1917, in Chicago. He began dressing up as a clown and entertaining at family reunions, according to his daughter Ruth.

On a lark, when a group of bowling partners invited him to a White Sox game in 1960, he put on his clown costume. The response was overwhelming, Ruth Rozdilsky said, and after Mr. Rozdilsky won season Sox tickets at a neighborhood raffle, he soon found himself playing the clown at most games.

Over time, the baseball club gave him tickets and eventually a stipend. But after the team switched to a new ballpark in 1991, management encouraged him to retire.

"It was tough for my dad. For a while he put the Cubs on at home," his daughter said.

When Mr. Rozdilsky celebrated his 30th anniversary of clowning at Comiskey in 1990, the Tribune noted that he had outlasted 14 Sox managers.

He missed only one home opener during his career, when his wife, Helen, died in 1989, his daughter said.

He spent most of his working days as a clerk in the research division of International Harvester.

Other survivors include another daughter, Jane Szymczak; a son, Andrew James; and four grandchildren.

A wake for Mr. Rozdilsky will be from 2 to 9 p.m. Sunday in Modell Funeral Home, 5725 S. Pulaski Rd. Visitation will be at 8:45 a.m. Monday in the funeral home, followed by mass at 9:30 a.m. in St. Mary Star of the Sea Church, 6435 S. Kilbourn Ave.

LVSoxFan
03-17-2005, 11:27 AM
Re: Ronnie Woo Woo and his "inspirational" message, being the perfect Cub fan, etc.

What in God's name is inspirational about Woo Woo is beyond me--the man has simply filled a void as the Cubs' non-official mascot and exploited it. I mean, good for him, but as far as him having any life lessons to teach me, yeahright.

Ronnie is a frequent fixture around Lakeview in the summer; he frequents Wrigleyville bars--in his Cubs jersey--and obviously loves the attention. I've even seen him riding his bike during the day.

The ultimate irony of Woo Woo and "being the ultimate Cubs fan" is that when he's at Wrigley, he's about the only black person you'll see there--save for some of the vendors.

Me? I prefer Bartman as the ultimate Cubs mascot--think about it, he sums it all up in so many ways.

SOXintheBURGH
03-17-2005, 11:37 AM
Here's Andy's obit from the Tribune:
-----------------------------------

Date: Sunday, September 24, 1995
Edition: CHICAGOLAND FINAL
Section: METRO CHICAGO
Page: 6
Zone: C
Source: By Stacey Singer, Tribune Staff Writer.
Illustration: PHOTO

ANDREW ROZDILSKY, 77, CLOWN FOR SOX

For 30 years, White Sox fans at Comiskey Park cheered on the antics of an entertainer known as Andy the Clown.

The man beneath the greasepaint and glowing red nose, Andrew Rozdilsky, died at age 77 on Thursday after succumbing to a heart attack in his Southwest Side home.

Mr. Rozdilsky was born Dec. 6, 1917, in Chicago. He began dressing up as a clown and entertaining at family reunions, according to his daughter Ruth.

On a lark, when a group of bowling partners invited him to a White Sox game in 1960, he put on his clown costume. The response was overwhelming, Ruth Rozdilsky said, and after Mr. Rozdilsky won season Sox tickets at a neighborhood raffle, he soon found himself playing the clown at most games.

Over time, the baseball club gave him tickets and eventually a stipend. But after the team switched to a new ballpark in 1991, management encouraged him to retire.

"It was tough for my dad. For a while he put the Cubs on at home," his daughter said.

When Mr. Rozdilsky celebrated his 30th anniversary of clowning at Comiskey in 1990, the Tribune noted that he had outlasted 14 Sox managers.

He missed only one home opener during his career, when his wife, Helen, died in 1989, his daughter said.

He spent most of his working days as a clerk in the research division of International Harvester.

Other survivors include another daughter, Jane Szymczak; a son, Andrew James; and four grandchildren.

A wake for Mr. Rozdilsky will be from 2 to 9 p.m. Sunday in Modell Funeral Home, 5725 S. Pulaski Rd. Visitation will be at 8:45 a.m. Monday in the funeral home, followed by mass at 9:30 a.m. in St. Mary Star of the Sea Church, 6435 S. Kilbourn Ave.

Even in an Obituary, they just had to write that he watched Cub games.

John Barrett
03-17-2005, 12:13 PM
sorry to bust the bubble here ... But Andy was a jag... he would 'nt do too much of anything withut trying to bilk you for money, and when you said no he would make up stories to the yellow jackets to get you kicked out. his daughter lived on my block and he was there for all block parties .. charging little ones .025 for a magic trick... what a pud

JKryl
03-17-2005, 12:42 PM

I thought the section where it said, "In 1981, the White Sox were sold to an ownership group headed by Jerry Reinsdorf (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Jerry_Reinsdorf&action=edit) and Eddie Einhorn (http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Eddie_Einhorn&action=edit), and the new owners were eager to bring in a new mascot, seeking to improve what they perceived to be a more downscale feature of White Sox home games." Improve it? I think not, instead they started an era of acrimony that lead into the hearty pro Scrub / anti-Sox attitude currently seen in Chicago, as younger people went to a park they saw as being more carefree and enjoyable.

JKryl
03-17-2005, 12:46 PM
No doubt. Every time I think of Old Comiskey, my first thought is the ever-present smell of cigar smoke . . . not the cigars themselves, just the smell. In fact, when the park was almost empty before BP on opening day, it still smelled like cigars.
:gulp:

And, fried onions. A couple of years ago, it was March, and as I walked around the house at night, all I could think about was opening day. I finally realized that I had make brats and fried onions, and the smell permeated the house. Talk about fond memories...

irish rover
03-17-2005, 02:26 PM
didn't andy run for mayor as a republican?

also for those who care, and I know it is none of us but they are having fundraiser for that homeless wierdo Ronny on April 1 or 7 and show the documentary on him

first some moron pays to have his teeth fixed and now they want to glorify his homelessness, how pathetic and how coob like

Medford Bobby
03-17-2005, 04:10 PM
:(: I remember Andy at a Jane Byrne for Mayor rally in 1980 (this was before I became progressively challenged)...so I'm sure he was a life long Dem...........

:bandance: Big Frank was awesome before Congress...:gulp:

jortafan
03-17-2005, 04:45 PM
didn't andy run for mayor as a republican?

The political guy who perpetually runs for office (and once got the GOP nomination for Chicago mayor) once performed under the name Spanky the Clown.

He is not any connnection to the Sox' long-lost Andy.

Fake Chet Lemon
03-17-2005, 09:26 PM
Personally, I was always creeped out by the guy, partly because of John Wayne Gacy. My parents told me that Gacy dressed up as a clown and from then on clowns always freeked me out...they still do.

Glad I'm not the only one. He had a weird vibe to me that creeped my out as well. There is an age at which you should no longer dress like a clown. I don't know what that official age should be, but he was well past it.

Johnny Mostil
03-17-2005, 09:35 PM
The political guy who perpetually runs for office (and once got the GOP nomination for Chicago mayor) once performed under the name Spanky the Clown.

He is not any connnection to the Sox' long-lost Andy.

IIRC, his name was Ray Wardingley (sp?), and he lived in the 19th ward. He also ran for the US House and likely other offices I'm forgetting.

CubsfansareDRUNK
03-17-2005, 09:42 PM
GUYS, THIS IS FREAKING AWSOME. I just found out, andy the clown was great friends with my uncle. He worked with my uncle at international harvester. This is so cool, my dad said my uncle had him for a party with my cousins. He was even dressed up as the clown!

Nellie_Fox
03-18-2005, 02:20 AM
A lot of people find clowns to be creepy. That's the exact premise of the movie Shakes the Clown by Bob Goldthwait.

THE_HOOTER
03-18-2005, 10:34 AM
sorry to bust the bubble here ... But Andy was a jag... he would 'nt do too much of anything withut trying to bilk you for money, and when you said no he would make up stories to the yellow jackets to get you kicked out. his daughter lived on my block and he was there for all block parties .. charging little ones .025 for a magic trick... what a pud

Thank you for being the first one to backup my earlier response.

Towards the end of Andy's days, if you wanted a typical "AAAAA GO WHITE SOX!!!" cheer from him, it would cost you $10.00

He was all about the dough, and I was very disappointed when I found that out.

F him.:mad: