Two By Four
03-15-2005, 02:38 PM
Let me know what you think. Just go to the link:

http://www.twoxfour.com/webfiles/radio/

ewokpelts
03-15-2005, 02:41 PM

not sure if the "gladiator" reference will fly well...

:roidduck
I'm the only gladiator here!
Gene

Mickster
03-15-2005, 02:45 PM
Love Rule #73 :D:

Rocky Soprano
03-15-2005, 02:49 PM
I love the gladiator reference, but thats just me. Great job Two By Four, I like them all.

ROFLMAO: Rule #73: Don't jump into a batting cage to show Daddy still has game!

Rule #66 is great, my wife heard it this morning and loved it.

Rule #58 is the best!

jabrch
03-15-2005, 02:52 PM
The first one is great. The "Die" part is aggressive - but not offensive.

I agree on the "Gladiator" thing...too much tie to Sammy Sosa for my liking.

Love the Rule 73 - the family thing is a great idea. It doesn't mix with the violence of "Win or Die Trying" but I love the idea.

"Hotty Scotty"? Yikes - seriously pimping the scout seats probably isn't a great idea since dont believe they are available to purchase for individual games - or if they are, it is clearly not at a price affordable to the overwhelming majority of the fans. I'd avoid this one if given choices.

The "Don't Throw it Back" spot is FANTASTIC! If you guys can make that commercial effective enough to start a tradition of giving opposing HR balls to kids, rather than throwing them on the field, I'd personally be THRILLED TO DEATH.

jenmcm76
03-15-2005, 02:54 PM
They're all pretty good, though I particularly liked the last one, about not throwing an opponent's home run ball back. I have one quibble about the ending to the Scott Podsednik one though, how it ended by suggesting a guy should not bring his date to the game. I thought we wanted people to come to the ballpark!

All in all, not bad - you captured the grinder style and the fun of the ballpark pretty well.

DaveIsHere
03-15-2005, 02:55 PM

The "Don't Throw it Back" spot is FANTASTIC! If you guys can make that commercial effective enough to start a tradition of giving opposing HR balls to kids, rather than throwing them on the field, I'd personally be THRILLED TO DEATH.

Yeah that spot was very well done, Awesome, it expressed the way us Sox fans feel about the ball gettinig thrown back on the field.

Mickster
03-15-2005, 02:55 PM
"Hotty Scotty"? Yikes - seriously pimping the scout seats probably isn't a great idea since dont believe they are available to purchase for individual games - or if they are, it is clearly not at a price affordable to the overwhelming majority of the fans. I'd avoid this one if given choices.

I don't think the commercial is suggesting Scout seating at all. I think you're missing the joke. :duck:

FightingBillini
03-15-2005, 02:56 PM
GREAT commercials!! I think all of them are good, but the best is the last one. Pure genious.

jabrch
03-15-2005, 02:59 PM
I don't think the commercial is suggesting Scout seating at all. I think you're missing the joke. :duck:

No - I get the joke just fine. I just think the use of Scout Seating is a poor delivery tool for the AJ punchline.

DaveIsHere
03-15-2005, 03:18 PM
No - I get the joke just fine. I just think the use of Scout Seating is a poor delivery tool for the AJ punchline.

Maybe that is why we are not in marketing

SoxFan76
03-15-2005, 03:21 PM
The Scotty Hotty one cracked me up. Nice job 2X4.

jabrch
03-15-2005, 03:29 PM
Maybe that is why we are not in marketing

Speak for yourself...I work for a large marketing firm.

Mickster
03-15-2005, 03:56 PM
Speak for yourself...I work for a large marketing firm.

Not very successful, huh... :D:

SouthSideHitman
03-15-2005, 04:14 PM
That's the voice of Red Foreman! How cool is that?

SABRSox
03-15-2005, 04:34 PM
I also particularly like the "Rule #58" spot. It's an intelligent riff of the "Sox vs. Cubs" that doesn't come off as sounding whiny, and it's something Sox fans have been saying for years. Great job!

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-15-2005, 08:17 PM
LOVE #58! I heard #66 last night on the score, and thought it was great. I like all of the new TV and radio ads. :cool:

lths06
03-15-2005, 08:42 PM
#58 definetly the best! I like how it continues the "us vs. them". And BTW, a (lady) friend of mine who lives in Milwaukee told me a few months ago that "Scotty Hotty" is what the girls called him in Milwaukee.

Two By Four
03-15-2005, 09:12 PM

Keep an open mind...the marketing is aimed at all kinds of targets, not just discount seekers and core fans. This particular spot (Hottie Scotty) is aimed at people that can afford the luxury of Scout seats. We have to sell those puppies to someone! But that's why we have family spots, team spots, promotion/event spots, so that we can talk to many more people. The whole point is to appeal to a larger audience of potential fans.

Thanks for the comments.

Two By Four
03-15-2005, 09:14 PM
I have one quibble about the ending to the Scott Podsednik one though, how it ended by suggesting a guy should not bring his date to the game. I thought we wanted people to come to the ballpark!

You do know it is just a joke right? We don't expect people to be so easily manipulated that they actually stay away just because we said to...I doubt single men in Chicago will hear it and think we are telling them to stay home, course if that was the case, I would be telling them to give me money.

Two By Four
03-15-2005, 09:18 PM

This spot came from a thread I was in here about three months ago. We are actually going to try to print this rule (and others) on the side of beer cups. That way people in the park will get the idea while they are sitting there. Would be great to do during the Cubs Sox series.

Stroker Ace
03-15-2005, 09:31 PM
For some reason, they all are on fast forward for me.

Two By Four
03-15-2005, 09:32 PM
For some reason, they all are on fast forward for me.

Try downloading them to you hard drive first then listen to them.

Daver
03-15-2005, 09:32 PM
This spot came from a thread I was in here about three months ago. We are actually going to try to print this rule (and others) on the side of beer cups. That way people in the park will get the idea while they are sitting there. Would be great to do during the Cubs Sox series.

Make sure one of the "others" is about NOT starting the WAVE.

That is annoying as hell.

:redneck

Two By Four
03-15-2005, 09:35 PM
Make sure one of the "others" is about NOT starting the WAVE.

That is annoying as hell.

:redneck

We have worked on that...problem is kids love the wave.

gobears1987
03-15-2005, 09:56 PM
I love them all 2x4. #58 is by far the best. The one on the FUNdamentals is hilarious as is #66. The AJ joke was hilarious in the Hotty Scotty one. The promotional event one wasn't extremely funny, but it gets the message out to those who aren't baseball fans and may go to the ballpark for the promotions. Eithery way, 4 out of 5 isn't bat. Especially when we call a .300 average good.

Church Turtle
03-16-2005, 06:20 AM
2X4 they are great! I have no critism, constructive or otherwise. I'm glad they are airing on the score. I live far enough down state that I can't pick up WMVP so if they're airing on the score I should be able to catch them on the air. (Someone posted earlier that they had heard one of them on there)

You get a dancing banana from me!:bandance:

hsnterprize
03-16-2005, 07:34 AM
I'm responding to you not as a White Sox fan, but as a radio professional. All this will be is my personal critique...

The copy was GREAT!!!!! Whoever wrote those spots really "hit the nail on the head" as far as what Sox fans think and feel about certain things. It was really smart of you to consult us fans at WSI for topic ideas and content.

As far as the actual production was concerned, I think the spots were a little long for just a reader. If the script was for a minute, I think some music behind the voice would've made the spots a little easier to listen to. The sound effects near the end of the spot were good, but it would've been nice in my opinion to have some music to help "guide" me through the spot. Maybe a looped "Na Na, Hey Hey, Goodbye" behind the voice would really give the spots some extra "Sox emphasis"...especially the spot about fand "not throwing opponents' home run balls back on the field." That would really help make the distinction between Sox fans and "fans of that... other team."

The spots are good, but as a professional, I think they could've been produced better. Other than that, you really brought out the "Sox Pride" in your ads.

Continued success in your ad campaigns.

jenmcm76
03-16-2005, 07:44 AM
You do know it is just a joke right? We don't expect people to be so easily manipulated that they actually stay away just because we said to...I doubt single men in Chicago will hear it and think we are telling them to stay home, course if that was the case, I would be telling them to give me money.

Yeah, I know it's a joke, I just thought it odd that a commercial for Sox tickets would suggest not buying Sox tickets. It seems like it could've been presented almost the exact same way (Hottie Scotty AJ's butt, and the Scout Seats), but with a different spin. Instead of a guy taking a girl on a date, it could've been a group of women on a girls' night out, IN FAVOR of buying tickets and seeing hot guys.

jabrch
03-16-2005, 02:05 PM

That would ROCK. Keep up the great work!

jabrch
03-16-2005, 02:08 PM
Keep an open mind...the marketing is aimed at all kinds of targets, not just discount seekers and core fans. This particular spot (Hottie Scotty) is aimed at people that can afford the luxury of Scout seats. We have to sell those puppies to someone! But that's why we have family spots, team spots, promotion/event spots, so that we can talk to many more people. The whole point is to appeal to a larger audience of potential fans.

Thanks for the comments.

My bad...I didn't actually think the target was the Scout Seat audience. Given that - I think it is an excellent spot. I'm wondering how to best manage the media buys to hit that particular segment since you are now talking about an isolated crowd who would pay 200+ per seat for 81 games. That said - I still think the spots are all great - infinitely better than almost anything I have seen from this team in the Dark Ages of Gallas.

Keep up the good work!

JGarlandrules20
03-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Oh, wow. I love rule #66.

Finally appealing to the female fan. :D:

chidonez
03-16-2005, 07:54 PM
"Rather, the proper way to handle this unfortunate event is to locate the nearest young fan and give the ball to them. However, you'll need to look for an especially young sox fan..." Well said, well said...

southsidegirl
03-16-2005, 08:32 PM
I hope that was a woman writing #66.

They go into pretty deep detail about Pods's gorgeousness.

chisoxcardsbabe
03-16-2005, 09:20 PM

I could have gone into scarier detail.

"And the moon-bewildering apogee of male beauty makes the catch..."

Two By Four
03-16-2005, 09:26 PM

No, I wrote them all. But I do have a wife to help with the "hottie Scotty" parts.

Church Turtle
03-16-2005, 10:51 PM
Hey 2X4, I still love them. Two more dancing bananas:bandance: :bandance:

ewokpelts
03-17-2005, 09:36 AM
We have worked on that...problem is kids love the wave.we dont need kids at the park...we need more yuppies!
Gene

ewokpelts
03-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Yeah, I know it's a joke, I just thought it odd that a commercial for Sox tickets would suggest not buying Sox tickets. It seems like it could've been presented almost the exact same way (Hottie Scotty AJ's butt, and the Scout Seats), but with a different spin. Instead of a guy taking a girl on a date, it could've been a group of women on a girls' night out, IN FAVOR of buying tickets and seeing hot guys.maybe rule #21....garland's law...
Gene

Two By Four
03-17-2005, 11:47 AM
we dont need kids at the park...we need more yuppies!
Gene

Yuppies are startign to have kids!

the gooch
03-17-2005, 12:02 PM
i think there needs to be a grinder food rule (no pun intended).
i would pay money to hear red foreman rant about putting ketchup on a hotdog.

rule 30: always buy a churro at the game, but only leave your seat between innings to prevent blocking the views of other fans. and for god's sake, don't put ketchup on a hotdog! is there anything more unchicagoan?

minastirith67
03-17-2005, 12:37 PM
No, I wrote them all. But I do have a wife to help with the "hottie Scotty" parts.

Is that your voice, too?

Two By Four
03-17-2005, 04:46 PM
Is that your voice, too?
No, that is Kurtwood Smith, the actor that plays Red Foreman on the 70s show.

OzzieBall2004
03-18-2005, 10:00 PM

Overall....A job well done.

I would say that a greater focus on children when talking about fundamentals would be more effective. Maybe a local kids publication (does the trib still run KidNews once a week?) Maybe even just running an ad in the sports section of both papers explaining FUNdamentals and showcasing the design, would creating interest among kids who read the sports section which would generate sales by them nagging their parents into buying tickets. Lets be honest, would you rather blow a couple hundred at Great America/Navy Pier/Chuck E. Cheese or take your kid to a ballgame? Even those mildly interested in sports would likely prefer the latter.

As for scout seats....I don't know....that would need to be a more personal, targeted approach, where you could convince people with the means that they presented an opportunity for their business. Seeing as they aren't built yet, thats not possible. Once they can showcase the entire product I don't anticipate them selling like hotcakes. I don't think you could do much with those, but you had to try, and I'm sure it wasn't 100% your decision to work that into the spots.

Once again though, good job. The spots are creative and fresh, and those are two words that mean a lot in your industry.

chisox06
03-18-2005, 10:14 PM
Rule 66 made my get up and take a long look in the mirror:D:.....but Im ok now.
Good stuff, keep it up, the last one is especially good!

Palehose13
03-22-2005, 11:25 AM

I know a few guys here in Milwaukee that could have written a much, much more detailed description of Pods. :o:

I absolutely love #66. No matter what your "persuasion" Rowand and Pods in the OF would make it into Cosmo as "hottest OF duo". :D:

maurice
03-22-2005, 12:09 PM
Rowand and Pods in the OF would make it into Cosmo as "hottest OF duo". :D:

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/images/2005/03/01/CzlZfvAr.jpg
"Come on, PH13. Where's the love for the brothas?"

:everett:
"Yeah!"

There's no doubt that Crash is built like a tank, but the girls I know say he looks a tad hillbillyrific from the neck up.

:rowand
"Hey! I resemble that remark."

Palehose13
03-22-2005, 12:22 PM

"Yeah!"

There's no doubt that Crash is built like a tank, but the girls I know say he looks a tad hillbillyrific from the neck up.

Hey, I guess Dye does complete the hot outfield. He didn't look so good in the pictures that I saw of him.

Regarding Crash, I don't like the way he looks in his uniform, I think he is gorgeous from the neck up and so do my friends who have seen him...but then again, what do us lesbians know about hot guys? :tongue: Hmmmm..."Aaron Rowand gets the Lesbian Choice Award for hottest male athlete" :o:

ewokpelts
03-22-2005, 12:23 PM

"Yeah!"

crash is more like metro-hick than plain ol' hick
Gene

jabrch
03-22-2005, 12:40 PM
"Aaron Rowand gets the Lesbian Choice Award for hottest male athlete" :o:

From a guy's perspective, isn't that like being stranded on a deserted Island with $10,000,000 in cash? It's nice and all, but what exactly can he do with it? :D:

Palehose13
03-22-2005, 12:46 PM
From a guy's perspective, isn't that like being stranded on a deserted Island with $10,000,000 in cash? It's nice and all, but what exactly can he do with it? :D:

'Tis true, but knowing that IF a "dream" opportunity should arise he has a good chance might be something. Besides, he's married...that fact may also...awe nevermind. I have a feeling if I kept typing I am gonna get myself into trouble. :wink:

robiwho
03-22-2005, 12:57 PM
The whole cute-player discussion is cracking me up. At a game last season, my brother was talking to me before a game and I didn't hear a word because I was unable to take my eyes off Konerko, Davis and Rowand, who were warming up right in front of us. He totally busted me on it and I explained that maybe I finally understood what it was like to be a guy.
I think I annoyed him at SoxFest when I saw Scotty Hottie for the first time and said, "Oh my god, he's gorgeous." His response was, "I don't care what he looks like, he'd better steal some bases." When I met Dye, I became convinced we have the hottest outfield in baseball.

In my own defense, I have to say the fact that we have a cute team is not why I'm a Sox fan -- it just doesn't hurt. :smile: (And if it will get more women to come to games, so much the better!)

Palehose13
03-22-2005, 01:05 PM
The whole cute-player discussion is cracking me up. At a game last season, my brother was talking to me before a game and I didn't hear a word because I was unable to take my eyes off Konerko, Davis and Rowand, who were warming up right in front of us. He totally busted me on it and I explained that maybe I finally understood what it was like to be a guy.
I think I annoyed him at SoxFest when I saw Scotty Hottie for the first time and said, "Oh my god, he's gorgeous." His response was, "I don't care what he looks like, he'd better steal some bases." When I met Dye, I became convinced we have the hottest outfield in baseball.

In my own defense, I have to say the fact that we have a cute team is not why I'm a Sox fan -- it just doesn't hurt. :smile: (And if it will get more women to come to games, so much the better!)

So does this mean I have straight woman confirmation that Rowand is hot?

See boys...I can still pick'em! :tongue:

jabrch
03-22-2005, 01:09 PM

If this doesn't validate the success of that particular spot at reaching certain targets, then I don't know what would.

Very nice job Two By Four. I'm impressed. I hope the Sox brass who are reading this see it the same way. If it draws more fans to the park, it is good. I'd love to see us draw 2.25+ this season. That could generate maybe 5-10mm in extra revenues which could be used to spend more on players either this year, or even next year.

Aubrey Huff may become available. If the Joe Crede experiment finally fails, Huff would be a great placeholder at 3B until Fields is ready, and could then either move to 1B if PK leaves as a FA or move to OF/DH if Frank/Dye are gone in the next few years. 7mm per? Maybe 8? 300,000 more fans per season might do it... So would management just spending more - but that's another arguement.

Back to my point - nice job Two By Four. You guys seemed to have done a great job capturing the attention of at least the WSI audience. I hope it has the same effect with the rest of the population out there.

robiwho
03-22-2005, 01:45 PM
So does this mean I have straight woman confirmation that Rowand is hot?

See boys...I can still pick'em! :tongue:

Oh yeah, Sister -- he's hot, Hot, HOT!

Ol' No. 2
03-22-2005, 02:02 PM
To get this thread at least somewhat back on track, the TV & radio commercials and print ads are now posted on the Sox website.

Linky (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/cws/fan_forum/campaigns/television/index.jsp)

Edit: Outdoor ads are there, now, too.

mcg
03-22-2005, 03:13 PM
Oh yeah, Sister -- he's hot, Hot, HOT!
From another woman's point of view I'm going to have to say ARow is more dorky-cute than hot. I just googled images for him and this was on the first page - ARow modeling Prothermo:

http://www.prothermo.com/images/blankets_rowand.gif

Back on topic, I love rule 58! Overall, good job Two By Four.

ChiSoxGirl
03-25-2005, 10:44 PM

*Hangs head in shame*

As a fellow female Sox fan, I have to shamefully admit to being well aware of the extreme good-looks of Podsednik and Rowand, particularly at SoxFest when you get to see them in "street clothes."

While I haven't been unable to conduct a baseball conversation because of being distracted by a player's good looks, when I was standing in line at SoxFest with a friend of mine and she pointed Podsednik out to me when he was on his way to the autograph table, I stopped myself mid-sentence and said "Oh...my...God! He's hot!" Got a great picture with him at the autograph table, too! ;)

"In my own defense, I have to say the fact that we have a cute team is not why I'm a Sox fan -- it just doesn't hurt." :smile: <-- agreed completely!

TornLabrum
03-25-2005, 11:14 PM
Great spots 2x4! I chuckled at all of them, but I burst out laughing at the FUNdamentals and throwing the ball back spots..

The spots really capture the essence of what distinguishes us as Sox fans.

Baby Fisk
03-25-2005, 11:15 PM
Rowand?! Rowand looks like a barrel with legs. There hasn't been a handsome Sox player since Robin Ventura.

See, it's these late night, Dr. Pepper-fuelled posts that I regret in the morning... :drunken:

shoota
03-25-2005, 11:43 PM

Printing on the beer cups would be great. Though please put these rules on pop cups too, not just beer.

Rule 73: "Wrap your little yarn with a career-ending injury and BAM! Daddy is golden." -*** does that mean?

soltrain21
03-25-2005, 11:51 PM
Printing on the beer cups would be great. Though please put these rules on pop cups too, not just beer.

Rule 73: "Wrap your little yarn with a career-ending injury and BAM! Daddy is golden." -*** does that mean?

A dad is telling a story to his kid to relive his golden days. He finishes the story about his "glory days" with the ever so famous "career ending injury."

The injury is the reason he doesn't play anymore. He could be lying, but his kids will believe it and it makes him look good.

Baby Fisk
03-25-2005, 11:58 PM
A dad is telling a story to his kid to relive his golden days. He finishes the story about his "glory days" with the ever so famous "career ending injury."

The injury is the reason he doesn't play anymore. He could be lying, but his kids will believe it and it makes him look good.
I thought the "career ending injury" was the reason all of us are here and not on the roster in Tucson. :redface:

soltrain21
03-26-2005, 12:05 AM
I thought the "career ending injury" was the reason all of us are here and not on the roster in Tucson. :redface:

:D: Yep. I may only be 20, but my shoulder can't take another surgury.

Palehose13
03-27-2005, 01:45 PM

Naaaah...I love baseball, but there is nothing better than knocking the snot out of someone for a few hours. :D: