PDA

View Full Version : Tigers: Sanchez released

Mickster
03-15-2005, 01:49 PM
Alex Sanchez released by Tigers. Wow!

LINKY (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=fanball-tigerssanchezrelease&prov=fanball&type=lgns)

Soxzilla
03-15-2005, 01:52 PM
if only we could infuse sanchez with harris...

.........hmmmmmmmmmm:?:

SoxEd
03-15-2005, 01:54 PM
Why do they need Sanchez?

I mean, with Magglio 'knees of steel' Ordoņez in the squad, they've got that 'Big Hitter in the Outfield' position sewn up all season...

MRKARNO
03-15-2005, 05:07 PM
The Tigers are smarter than I thought. After the Magglio deal I thought they might be delusional there, but apparently they have the ability to make smart moves as well. Sanchez's BA last year was a fluke and he won't be very valuable at all in 2005.

MeanFish
03-15-2005, 05:36 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I really like Alex Sanchez. He's the perfect defensive player for a stadium with a spacious centerfield like Comerica, and while he's not a great hitter he's certainly no Royce Clayton.

As recently as 2003 he put up decent leadoff numbers as well, compiling a .287 avg and 52 stolen bases in 144 games. If going from a .287 to a .322 screams fluke, then I don't know what reality is, especially considering he stood firm at just under a .290 in 2002 as well. Maybe .322 is high, but is it really THAT outlandish for a guy who had been hitting .290 and works tirelessly on improving his bunting ability?

MRKARNO
03-15-2005, 05:45 PM
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I really like Alex Sanchez. He's the perfect defensive player for a stadium with a spacious centerfield like Comerica, and while he's not a great hitter he's certainly no Royce Clayton.

As recently as 2003 he put up decent leadoff numbers as well, compiling a .287 avg and 52 stolen bases in 144 games. If going from a .287 to a .322 screams fluke, then I don't know what reality is, especially considering he stood firm at just under a .290 in 2002 as well. Maybe .322 is high, but is it really THAT outlandish for a guy who had been hitting .290 and works tirelessly on improving his bunting ability?

Well it will be if he walks at the rate he did last year. Let's say his AVG drops to .290, his OBP would drop to about .300, pathetically awful for a player that doesn't hit any extra base hits. His defense was pretty bad for a centerfielder too and his bad basestealing rate was beyond acceptable. A player such as Nook Logan would probably have more value in 2005.

ChiSoxRowand
03-16-2005, 12:24 AM
I think Detroit might be going with former T.F. North and UIC star Curtis Granderson in center field.

MRKARNO
03-16-2005, 12:28 AM
I think Detroit might be going with former T.F. North and UIC star Curtis Granderson in center field.

I'd guess he's in center by the trade deadline.

MHOUSE
03-16-2005, 01:46 AM
Sanchez had that high average because of bunt hits and legging out slow grounders. He doesn't steal bases, he can't play defense, and in Milwaukee and Detroit he had attitude problems. Management wanted improvement and he said he had nothing to work on.

Clembasbal
03-16-2005, 10:22 AM
Sanchez had that high average because of bunt hits and legging out slow grounders. He doesn't steal bases, he can't play defense, and in Milwaukee and Detroit he had attitude problems. Management wanted improvement and he said he had nothing to work on.

Since when doesn't he steal bases?

2002 he had 37
2003 he had 52
2004 he had 19 - he played less than 1/2 the season

I will agree that is rate is not the best, but he does steal bases. And that he is a management issue, people talk about him being a whiner.