PDA

View Full Version : Moving from Tucson?

jbsand
03-15-2005, 09:53 AM
I heard a rumor yesterday on 'MVP that Jerry has a plan in the works
to move the Sox spring training base from Tucson to somewhere in the
Phoenix area. Anyone have any info on this...?

Viva Medias B's
03-15-2005, 10:00 AM
Old news, and I would not recommend holding your breath waiting for the Sox to abandon Tucson for the greatness that is the Phoenix area. The White Sox are bound to Tucson for at least one or two more seasons. Also, they can only leave if another team comes in to replace them.

Moreover, IIRC, the White Sox looked to relocate to Tempe Diablo Stadium amid speculation that current Tempe tennant Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim left. However, the Angels opted to stay in Tempe and, hence, keep the Sox in Tucson.

You can find the latest spring training news with regard to the business side of things here (http://www.springtrainingmagazine.com/).

Clembasbal
03-15-2005, 10:04 AM
I am sure that you will find at least 3 threads on this topic.

WE will see what happens.

Medford Bobby
03-15-2005, 01:23 PM
:?: Ditto.....this may happen down the road, say 2 to 4 years. The big thing will be to get at least two more clubs to move out of Florida. You can bet the Indians will be one of those teams........:o:

HITMEN OF 77
03-15-2005, 01:36 PM
Why did the Sox leave Florida in the frist place?

ewokpelts
03-15-2005, 02:02 PM
Why did the Sox leave Florida in the frist place?
free stadium......that was new....and colangelo is a buddy of uncle jerry(colangelo was the owner of the sun and dbacks until recently)
Gene

jackbrohamer
03-15-2005, 03:33 PM
Didn't Reinsdorf have a home Tuscon at the time they relocated there from Sarasota?

I want Mags back
03-15-2005, 04:43 PM
:?: Ditto.....this may happen down the road, say 2 to 4 years. The big thing will be to get at least two more clubs to move out of Florida. You can bet the Indians will be one of those teams........:o:

Why did they leave Tucson in the First place

Lip Man 1
03-15-2005, 05:12 PM
Uncle Jerry has homes in the Phoenix area (I think it's Scottsdale) as well as Highland Park.

Lip

Medford Bobby
03-16-2005, 01:49 AM
:cool: The Indians left Hi-Corbett Field and it's antiquated practice fields for a brand new facility in Homestead, Fl. Unfortunately before they moved in for 1992 spring training hurricane (Andrew??) destroyed the area...and the Indians have never been satisfied where they have been playing all these years....so you can bet they would take a "free" deal in Arizona again.............I was at the last Indian spring training game...I think they lost............:redneck

That's why I tear up watching ancient Hi-Corbett Field (before the Rockies remodel) in the movie "Major League"....:whiner:

HITMEN OF 77
03-16-2005, 10:42 AM
free stadium......that was new....and colangelo is a buddy of uncle jerry(colangelo was the owner of the sun and dbacks until recently)
Gene

So is Payne Park still up in Sarasota?

doogiec
03-16-2005, 11:51 AM
So is Payne Park still up in Sarasota?

No, it was converted to tennis courts a few years after the White Sox moved to Ed Smith Field (early nineties, I think). It was mostly wooden bleachers, not much to tear down.

HITMEN OF 77
03-16-2005, 12:16 PM
No, it was converted to tennis courts a few years after the White Sox moved to Ed Smith Field (early nineties, I think). It was mostly wooden bleachers, not much to tear down.

Another good old ball park and piece of Sox history gone forever.

UofCSoxFan
03-16-2005, 01:41 PM
Jerry would never threaten to move a team for his own personal gain. Say it ain't so.