OF Carlos Beltran
1B Doug Mientkiewicz
2B Miguel Cairo
RP Felix Heredia

Key offseason losses:
OF Richard Hidalgo
RP Mike Stanton

General Outlook:
They dished out nearly $200 million this offseason to sign Pedro and Beltran, plus re-sign Benson. $200 million, and how good are they? They're better than last year, but that's not saying a lot. They're relying on the two pitchers they acquired at the deadline last year to help carry them. While Benson and Zambrano both have the stuff to be good pitchers, neither has shown the ability to maximize that talent. The Mets season could possibly hinge on the abilities of those two to take that next step forward and justify the trades.

Possible starting lineup:
SS Jose Reyes
2B Kaz Matsui
CF Carlos Beltran
C Mike Piazza
3B David Wright
LF Cliff Floyd
RF Mike Cameron
1B Doug Mientkiewicz

The top two are going to be the key for them. Beltran, while he might struggle a bit to adjust to New York, is still going to put up numbers. The issue is whether Reyes and Matsui can remain healthy to be able to produce. Piazza is going back to catcher full time. He looked old last year and moving back behind the plate won't help. You have to wonder how much he has left in him. Floyd has similar questions. Wright is the stud here. He might be batting behind Beltran sooner rather than later. For now, Piazza gets the edge because he's the veteran. I'm not a big fan of their lineup. It will be better than last year, but still not good enough considering their payroll. After Beltran and Wright, there are just too many questions.

Possibly starting pitching rotation:
Pedro Martinez
Tom Glavine
Kris Benson
Steve Trachsel
Victor Zambrano

Well, their rotation is solid. Pedro should benefit from the lack of a DH. But he's still a 6 inning pitcher that got a lot of money from them. Benson was overpaid, as well. That Zambrano for Kazmir trade? Not looking too good right now. There is potential here. They have five solid starters with room for improvement. If Rick Peterson can turn either Benson and or Zambrano, their rotation could be one of the better rotations in the league. That's a pretty big if though as it stands right now. Their bullpen is in need of improvement. Looper had a nice year as their closer last year and should do the same again. But who gets the ball to him? They traded away Mike Stanton for Felix Heredia, who was awful last year. They'll count on Mike DeJean to pitch more like he did for them and less like he did for Baltimore. After that, their pen will contain the likes of Matt Ginter, Jae Weong Seo, and Bartolome Fortunato. Looper is the only saving grace in what looks to be a bad bullpen. Considering that this team has Pedro as their ace, they could use some big help here.

Overall Prediction:
4th place; 77-85

Player that will surprise:
3B David Wright - I wanted to pick someone more surprising than Wright. I really did, but I just can't. So I'm listing him here as I think he will pick up right where he left off last year and prove himself to be one of the best young stars.

Player that will disappoint:
OF Carlos Beltran - This has less to do with Beltran's performance and more to do with the results of the team. I think any player who signs a contract as big as Beltran's will struggle to meet the contract. I think he'll disappoint in that his addition won't improve the team as much as they think he will.

A little late, but here it is. Comment.

balke
03-15-2005, 02:32 AM
This will really be an interesting division this season. I look at all that pitching, and the addition of Beltran, and just see the Mets in a race for 1st.

I think Beltran will surprise a lot of people by keeping the Hr's and SB's, while raising his average. I think all those pitchers have great range in the outfield to help gain some putouts as well. Cameron and Beltran could have a lot of fun out there together. That's a lot of range.

I get a feeling Kaz will produce better this year as well as Benson, and those pitchers will be able to win with the run support they get. I like the Phillies, and Braves, and Marlins, but think the Mets might have bought a better team than all of them. It looks like 4 great teams are in that division right now. I don't know anything about the Mets' bullpen. That could be a big factor in their season.

Baby Fisk
03-15-2005, 07:49 AM
I'm still siding with la Florida to win this division. The Mets have some good young talent that could bloom and take them to the playoffs, but that's still a year or two away. Still, I've already got a David Wright t-shirt! :thumbsup:

Jjav I agree with your take on Beltran. He'll be there, but it's not like he's going to carry this team to 90 wins.

The Mets are my #2 team and I'd like them to surprise, but at the same time I have a horrible feeling that the rotation is going to stumble and the Mets will implode by mid-season. I hope it doesn't happen... :(:

batmanZoSo
03-15-2005, 11:18 AM
If Steve Trachsel is your fourth starter, you might as well just pack it in right now. I mean, god, even cub fans gave up on him five years ago.

MeanFish
03-15-2005, 04:11 PM
If Steve Trachsel is your fourth starter, you might as well just pack it in right now. I mean, god, even cub fans gave up on him five years ago.

Is that supposed to be in teal? Steve Trachsel isn't a spectacular pitcher but he's consistent and generally pretty healthy (though he's having troubles right now), which is a great combo at the back of the rotation. Very similar situation to a certain 5th starter for the White Sox...

Fenway
03-15-2005, 04:15 PM
Mets now offering the Pedro pack

dirt cheap for NYC

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/story/290036p-248313c.html

ChiWhiteSox1337
03-15-2005, 05:12 PM
I agree with you again Jjav. The Mets starting rotation isn't that bad, all of them have the potential to go out each day and throw 5-6 solid innings, but that's a problem because of their bullpen. It was horrible last year, with Looper being the exception. However, you can never really project bullpen production based on previous stats. Every year, there seems to be a bullpen that surprises everyone and turns out to be pretty good, like Texas did last year.

PAPChiSox729
03-15-2005, 08:55 PM
I think the Mets staff is overrated. Pedro is still an ace, but I expect that to change soon. Glavine is solid. I think Benson will be a big disappointment and not live up to that FAT contract that he signed. Zambrano and Trachsel are OK, but I don't think that they are as serviceable as people think. 4th place seems like a good place to put them for now.

Baby Fisk
03-16-2005, 07:58 AM
Oh no! The implosion begins...

Trachsel out for 6 months (http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050315&content_id=968585&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jsp&c_id=nym) :(:

Enter the Ginter (http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050315&content_id=967696&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jsp&c_id=nym) :whiner: