PDA

View Full Version : No last names on Cubs jersies this year

UofCSoxFan
03-15-2005, 02:14 AM
So the Cubs are copying a bunch of teams (Yankees, BoSox, early 90's Sox to name a few) by taking names off the back of jerseys this year....my question becomes....

How the Hell is the average cub fan going to know who the hell is out there without names on the back of their jerseys???

God, its bad enough listening to Cubs fans everytime I get dragged to the Urinal by a girl or a friend w/ free tickets....I can't wait for this one:

"So which one's Nomar? I love him. He's good right?"
"Well Nomar is the best player and the best player plays in right field so that's him out there."
"Did he gain weight or something?"

MUsoxfan
03-15-2005, 02:17 AM
Farmio made fun of this today on the radio. When a pinch runner came in for Nomar he said he'd have to research to find the name that goes with the number

FightingBillini
03-15-2005, 02:23 AM
You will hear a lot of "Hey, why is Sammy wearing number 28?" and "When did Sosa become white?"

Erik The Red
03-15-2005, 02:31 AM
I don't see how they're "copying" anyone. They only recently added the names on the back of the home jerseys, sometime in the early-to-mid 90s IIRC. They're just going back to their traditional design.

A.T. Money
03-15-2005, 10:16 AM
I don't think they were wearing their regular season jerseys. Those are the ST ones, and they do not have names on the back.

cheeses_h_rice
03-15-2005, 10:25 AM
I don't see how they're "copying" anyone. They only recently added the names on the back of the home jerseys, sometime in the early-to-mid 90s IIRC. They're just going back to their traditional design.

Don't you know that it's an uncontestable fact that if the White Sox ever do anything at all before the Cubs do it, the Cubs are automatically "ripping off" the Sox?

C'mon, dude, get with the program!

:rolleyes:

Erik The Red
03-15-2005, 11:22 AM
oh yeah... sorry...

ChiSoxRowand
03-15-2005, 12:33 PM
I don't think they were wearing their regular season jerseys. Those are the ST ones, and they do not have names on the back.

Nope, those are there regular season home jerseys. They do not have the name on the back. I think they will have the names on the back of their road jerseys though. The Dodgers are doing the same thing this year.

Brian26
03-15-2005, 01:06 PM
So the Cubs are copying a bunch of teams (Yankees, BoSox, early 90's Sox to name a few) by taking names off the back of jerseys this year....my question becomes....

The Cubs went decades without having the names on the back of their jerseys. They're not copying anyone...just going back to what they used to do.

Personally, I've grown to like how the names look on the back of the home jerseys. I think they should have kept them.

Brian26
03-15-2005, 01:08 PM
And I think it's completely ridiculous not to have names on the back of a road jersey. The Sox did this in the late 90's (I think they added names halfway through the 1990 season on the road unis). Except for the Yankees, this is unacceptable. I'm prettys sure, though, the Cubs aren't changing their road unis too.

UofCSoxFan
03-15-2005, 04:07 PM
If everyone wants to get technical about it, no team had their names on the back of their jerseys prior to the 1970s. Does that mean that mean that any team that takes their names off the backs of their jerseys is not trying to return to its roots? Maybe....but I see a team like the Cubs trying to do the trending "Old School" thing since they made the switch to names and now have gone back. Regardless, this wasn't even the point of my post. My point was that the average Bleacher Bum is going to have no clue as to who anyone is on the field now (if they had any clue before).

Frankfan4life
03-16-2005, 02:12 AM
My point was that the average Bleacher Bum is going to have no clue as to who anyone is on the field now (if they had any clue before).I quite agree. Whoever thought of this must be a closet Sox fan. I can just imagine the confusion that has already set in during ST when there are a lot of minor league players on the field. :?: Only the few hardcore cubfans are going to like this idea. As for me, I love it!! :D:

WhiteSoxFan84
03-16-2005, 02:25 AM
This is just GREAT.

We already know that 85% of "'Cub fans" are morons, but now, it's going to be so much more obvious. Can you imagine asking a Cubs fan, "Hey, ahh, who's that pitching?" and hearing, "I think that's # 31" or better yet hearing, "LET'S GO # 5! GET ON BASE FOR # 16!"

Nellie_Fox
03-16-2005, 02:26 AM
If everyone wants to get technical about it, no team had their names on the back of their jerseys prior to the 1970s.Do you just post off the top of your head, or do you check your facts? The Sox were the first to do it, in 1960.

Johnny Mostil
03-16-2005, 10:04 AM
I'm actually not sure why any team uses names on jerseys. Weren't numbers put on jerseys as a shorthand for names, i.e., to make it easier to identify players without having to spell out the whole name? If the names are on the jerseys, then why have numbers?

Of course, my eyesight is really bad, and I can barely make out jersey numbers, so maybe more folks can read names than I realize . . .

UofCSoxFan
03-16-2005, 11:16 AM
The Yankees were the first team to have numbers to signify their sports in the batting order....why ruth was number 3

UofCSoxFan
03-16-2005, 11:21 AM
Do you just post off the top of your head, or do you check your facts? The Sox were the first to do it, in 1960.

Hey man,

I apologize if I have offeneded you by being off by 9 years. Should of I looked it up....probably. Do I have time to....no. I respect that some people know more about certain aspects of baseball minutia than I do (and I know more in other aspects) and I don't mind being corrected as long as it is done in a tactful manner.

Asking whether or not I think when I post is insulting and I don't appreciate it. Getting bogged down in a detail that is not even the point of my post, and then being insulting about it is not appreciated.

Next time show some class and just say, "Actually, the Sox were the first team to have names on the back of their jerseys and many teams followed suite shortly after." That way I learn something, and you appear like someone that has social skills.

Johnny Mostil
03-16-2005, 11:40 AM
The Yankees were the first team to have numbers to signify their sports in the batting order....why ruth was number 3

The part about spots in the batting order is true, but it appears the Indians were actually the first team to wear numbers. See http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/exhibits/online_exhibits/dressed_to_the_nines/timeline_1916c.htm.

Before that, A. A. Stagg, at U of C, was credited with introducing uniform numbers. See http://athletics.uchicago.edu/football/fbhistory-stagg.pdf.

UofCSoxFan
03-16-2005, 12:25 PM
Hmm, interesting...I always heard Yankees.

I knew Stagg coached baseball here at U of C but didn't know about the uniform numbers. Thanks.

Johnny Mostil
03-16-2005, 12:54 PM
I knew Stagg coached baseball here at U of C but didn't know about the uniform numbers. Thanks.

Yep. Football, basketball, and baseball--the Gil Thorp of his day. His baseball teams won more than 400 games, IIRC. And, of course, he is, also again IIRC, the only person in both the basketball and the college football halls of fame.

skobabe8
03-16-2005, 05:29 PM
Hey man,

I apologize if I have offeneded you by being off by 9 years. Should of I looked it up....probably. Do I have time to....no. I respect that some people know more about certain aspects of baseball minutia than I do (and I know more in other aspects) and I don't mind being corrected as long as it is done in a tactful manner.

Asking whether or not I think when I post is insulting and I don't appreciate it. Getting bogged down in a detail that is not even the point of my post, and then being insulting about it is not appreciated.

Next time show some class and just say, "Actually, the Sox were the first team to have names on the back of their jerseys and many teams followed suite shortly after." That way I learn something, and you appear like someone that has social skills.

:Rocker: Thems fightin words!

UofCSoxFan
03-17-2005, 12:07 AM
Ha....not trying to start a fight here...I was wrong and he was right....just wished he let me know it differently.

After all, we are all Sox fans here.

Nellie_Fox
03-17-2005, 02:54 AM
Hey man,

Next time show some class and just say, "Actually, the Sox were the first team to have names on the back of their jerseys and many teams followed suite shortly after." That way I learn something, and you appear like someone that has social skills.Thank you for the lesson on how to post with class.

I responded like I did because your original post was not an "I think it was" but an absolute statement of fact. If everyone wants to get technical about it, no team had their names on the back of their jerseys prior to the 1970s. So, I got technical about it.

Frankfan4life
03-20-2005, 02:41 AM
I thought everyone might enjoy a preview of what it's going to be like during the regular season without names on cub jerseys. The following excerpts are from the March 18, Sox/cub game day thread on the cub board. I found them hilarious as some of the comments were made by posters who watched the whole game and were giving a play-by-play.

Not sure what happened. 4-2 Cubs. Somebody on the Sox doubled a guy home.

I don't mean to be repetative.... can you let me know what the 3 errors were..

One was a bad throw from third to first that hopped in front of the 1B. He then picked up the ball and threw wild to third. Two errors on one play.
Third error was the 1B making a bad throw to the pitcher covering first.

Well, we're losing again. I was in the can, so I missed it. Who's the tool playing first? Really makes you appreciate Lee, lemme tell ya'.

Who is #90 who just hit a ground ball to short?

I don't know who's playing first base, but Error No. 1 was Ramirez throwing someone out at first and had a bad throw allowing the guy to make it. Then, the first basement threw back to get a guy running second to third and had a bad throw. And apparently, while I was taking a poo, the first basemen messed up throwing back to the pitcher.

Guys, whowas playing first?

Echaverria was the starter do not know who is in now.

Manny someone just gave up a two run homer to the Sox.
Doubt he will be on the roster much longer.

11-8 topof the 9th Cubbies last chance.

This was the guy doing the play=by-play from the beginning og the game

I never even heard of Echawhateverthefudge.

Thanks. the guy who is hitting for he Cubs now looks really young.

Who is the pitcher the Cubs are lighting up?

Is that Garland pitching for the Sox?

#57 got shafted on a called third strike, two out.

who coughed up that last gopher ball? number 76 was it???

Dan H
03-21-2005, 10:11 AM
If I played for the Cubs, I wouldn't want my name on the jersey. Not after the chokes of 2003 and '04.