PDA

View Full Version : What are your baseball superstitions?

SOX ADDICT '73
03-14-2005, 10:31 PM
I thought about this after posting in the "What jersey will you be rockin' this year??" thread. As much as I want a Paul Konerko jersey, I just know that as soon as I buy it, he'll get traded or leave via free agency. Of the Sox jerseys, shirts, sweatshirts, and caps I do have, if the Sox lose while I'm wearing one of them, I won't wear that item while watching a game for at least a month. If I'm driving in the car and listening to the game on the radio, I speed home to catch it on TV, especially if the bad guys have runners on base. It's not because I prefer Hawk/DJ over Rooney/Farmio, or because I prefer to watch rather than listen. It's because I know, without a doubt, that if I can make it home to the TV, those baserunners will stay right where they are. I know I'm not the only sicko out there who believes he or she can personally influence the outcome of the game by a wardrobe, location, or even beverage choice. So out with it, superstitious baseball fans! What bizarre rituals do you practice to help your favorite team win?

p.s. My wife thinks I'm psychic because I could predict, with almost perfect certainty, when Jon Adkins would give up a home run last season. I never told her just how easy that was :tongue: .

MUsoxfan
03-14-2005, 10:39 PM
It used to be if I parked in a certain lot and they won, I'd have to keep parking in that same lot. Also....for a long time I wasn't able to sit on the 3rd base side because the Sox were losing every time I did that. Now, I just can't listen to any sportstalk or watch any sports highlights on TV after the Sox lose, until they win again.

NSSoxFan
03-14-2005, 10:43 PM
It used to be if I parked in a certain lot and they won, I'd have to keep parking in that same lot. Also....for a long time I wasn't able to sit on the 3rd base side because the Sox were losing every time I did that. Now, I just can't listen to any sportstalk or watch any sports highlights on TV after the Sox lose, until they win again.

This isn't a superstition, but whenever my teams loses I don't watch highlight shows. Anyone out there do the same thing?

whitesoxwilkes
03-14-2005, 10:46 PM
I have a hat (and visor) rotation. Each time I wear a hat (or visor) to the park, I keep wearing it until the Sox lose, at which point it gets sent to the bottom of the stack and replaced with the next hat (or visor) which comes up.

I also have a special black floppy that I only wear in April and May.

I have a home jersey which I think is bad luck and will never wear to the park, but I do wear it to work now and then.

I also use "special" pencils (which come from the WCSF Pencil Pull at Soxfest) to keep score. Team loses, pencil goes in the back of the drawer.

MRKARNO
03-14-2005, 10:52 PM
I refuse to say the words "Perfect" or "Perfect Game" if a pitcher hasn't allowed a baserunner in the game because in 2003, I was at the opener and Loaiza had been perfect through 4 2/3 I believe. I mentioned this and within the next 3 pitches, it was broken up and I was yelled at by everyone who was with me that night.

Norberto7
03-14-2005, 10:54 PM
I have a lucky TV watching position that I utilize for key situations. I prefer to watch laying on the floor, and when necessity dictates, I lay on my right side and prop my head up with my right elbow. It actually started with college football, but now I use it for Sox games as well. Against all logic, sometimes even this doesn't work.

:dunno:

Chisox003
03-14-2005, 10:58 PM
I have a lucky TV watching position that I utilize for key situations. I prefer to watch laying on the floor, and when necessity dictates, I lay on my right side and prop my head up with my right elbow. It actually started with college football, but now I use it for Sox games as well. Against all logic, sometimes even this doesn't work.

:dunno:

I have superstitions for everything...such as putting on my right shoe first everytime

When it comes to the Sox, Im even worse....I do the same thing as Norberto....For example, if the Sox in a big game, like against the Cubs or twinkies, score 5 runs in one inning, I try to hold the EXACT position Im in until the next scoreless inning, then I gotta switch it up....Tell me thats not weird

I have plenty more, Im just not in midseason form yet:wink:

chisoxmike
03-14-2005, 11:07 PM
haha, this is a good one.

Well, I have a few things....

1) I don't listen to the post-game show on the radio while driving home from a game, win or lose, if I do, they usually end up losing the next game.

Last season, I tried to mix up the hats I wear to the games to see which hat is a good luck one. So far, I got nothing on that one.

I had a lucky shirt I wore to the games, but I can't find it anymore.

2) When going to a game, the tickets I try to remember to put in my cupholder, when I do, its usually a win.

3) I don't like to look at the ESPN ticker before a game when they scroll through the days action, it usually ends up being a loss.

I have other ones, that I can't remember right now, and ones that will come up this season. Hopefully, with the ones I just said, they wont be jinxed. Like wins turning into losses.

jake27
03-14-2005, 11:29 PM
Some of mine are...
1.)I can't wear a coat. If its cold, ill just wear a hoodie under my jersey or something.
2.)I also can't wear a hat when I go to a game for some reason
3.)I never leave the game early (goes for all sporting events). I did once and the Bulls lost the game. No more of that.
4.)I always order the same food at O'Malleys before the game... Cheseburger, Fries, and a Vanilla Shake.
5.) I can't drink and soda til' I get to the ballpark. And there, I only order Pepsi

Thats all I can think of now. I'm sure Ihave more but never realized them.

SoxFan76
03-14-2005, 11:49 PM
This isn't a superstition, but whenever my teams loses I don't watch highlight shows. Anyone out there do the same thing?

Yeah, I don't watch Sportscenter or even read the newspaper the next day. I just can't bring myself to do it.

As for when I played, I would never step on the foul lines before a game.

fusillirob1983
03-15-2005, 12:49 AM
I'm pretty similar with the holding a position thing. Pretty much any time someone on the Sox get on base, I have to hold the position until the inning is over. Also, for the same thing, I won't get up to use the bathroom until the inning is over. I no longer let my mom say anything to me about the game while I'm watching it after she one time called a Paul O'Neill home run.

My brother can make any predictions he wants while I'm watching the game. He's called a few homers and doubles by Valentin and Lee. Although neither of them are on the team anymore, I think I've heard him make six or so predictions regarding those 2 and he's only been wrong once.

HomeFish
03-15-2005, 01:08 AM
1) If I visit the visitor's bullpen before a game, the other team's starter will mow us down. Usually this results in a shutout or embarassing loss; sometimes, the visiting bullpen will undo it.

2) If I eat a hotdog, the next team to bat will score, especially if the visitors are batting next. Therefore, I never get a hot dog unless the Sox are just coming to bat.

I also had a semi-Miss Cleo moment in 2003. I was at a game that Bartolo Colon was pitching, and at one point in the game I said "I have a bad feeling about this next pitch.

That next pitch was hit over the wall for a Texas home run -- the difference in the game.

Baby Fisk
03-15-2005, 07:44 AM
I can never wear the same Sox hat two days in a row, and keep a dozen different ones in an irregular rotation. If I DID wear the same hat twice, celestial cataclysm would follow. Gotta do my part for humanity.

Iwritecode
03-15-2005, 09:49 AM
I also had a semi-Miss Cleo moment in 2003. I was at a game that Bartolo Colon was pitching, and at one point in the game I said "I have a bad feeling about this next pitch.

That next pitch was hit over the wall for a Texas home run -- the difference in the game.

I had one of those moments one time. I don't remember what year it was but I was watching the game while talking on the phone with my wife. Frank stepped to the plate with the base-loaded and I told her "Hold on, I want to watch Frank hit this grand slam."

He did it on the very next pitch. :wink:

batmanZoSo
03-15-2005, 11:14 AM
If I'm at the game, the Sox will lose. Other than that, I don't think my actions have anything to do with the game. I'm the guy who mentions we have a no-hitter going in the 4th inning.

MeanFish
03-15-2005, 04:04 PM
If I watch the last 3 innings of a game when the Sox are winning, they end up blowing it in the 8th or 9th about 2 out of 3 times. So, I shut off the game after the sixth and read about the end later.

DrummerGeorgefan
03-15-2005, 07:20 PM
Dont really have any when going to games or watching them, but I had some when playing:

1. Walked three strides from 3B (my position) and drew long lines at the distance of each stride

2. Kicked dirt from the stride mark closest to the bag onto the bag

3. Memorized and performed the Fisk batting routine every pitch..you know it (Helmet readjustment, sleeve pull, two pumps of the fist on the bat, deep breath then another helmet readjustment)

4. Right cleat always tighter than left

5. Only chewed big league chew grape

MiamiSpartan
03-15-2005, 07:37 PM

Same here. If the Sox and Marlins lose, I don't turn on Sportcenter or Baseball Tonite.