03-14-2005, 04:16 PM
Sox Win Game 1 Of Cubs Series

Stroker Ace
03-14-2005, 04:18 PM
I smell a sweep.

cheeses_h_rice
03-14-2005, 04:23 PM
Today means nothing.

If the Sox got slaughtered, I'd still be saying the same thing.

Frank the Tank
03-14-2005, 04:48 PM
I find it kind of comical how Dusty Baker before the game made it a point to let everyone know he wanted to win this game and will be playing his better players. Our AAA and AA teams pretty much whooped on the most of the Cubs 1st String.

SOXSINCE'70
03-14-2005, 05:04 PM
I watched the game at the Ram restaraunt in Wheeling.
Maybe 10 people total at the bar.All Sox fans,including the
bartender who doubled as my waiter.We all went nuts with
the long ball deluge. I don't care if it's only ST,I want to beat
the North Side Crybaby Bears every damn time.Nice to see AJ
hit a double and a homer after striking out his first AB.:D: :D:

indysoxfan
03-14-2005, 05:47 PM

every damn time.....:gulp:

JUribe1989
03-14-2005, 05:54 PM
Tomorrow I'm gonna have a lot of fun making fun of some Cubs fans for this loss and for the loss of Prior and Wood.

DaleJRFan
03-14-2005, 06:03 PM
I find it kind of comical how Dusty Baker before the game made it a point to let everyone know he wanted to win this game and will be playing his better players. Our AAA and AA teams pretty much whooped on the most of the Cubs 1st String.

um...

Outside of Borchard's homerun, all runs scored and RBIs from today were players (and team stars) who will be on the 25man roster. Uribe, Rowand, AJ, Konerko... Sweeney looked lost at the plate and so did Willie. Buehrle looked awful in the 6th inning. Aside from faking D.Lee out of his shorts, it was an unspectacular outing. Everything was up in the zone. But like MB does, we worked out of it each time (until the 6th).

Its spring training, its meaningless. When the Sox sweep the the Cubs in July, I'll smile. WHen the cubs finish 3rd and the Sox win the central, I'll celebrate.

BigEdWalsh
03-14-2005, 06:19 PM
Thank goodness there's people to remind us that it's still only Spring Training and these games don't mean anything.:rolleyes:

For just a minute there I was pretty happy that we beat the frickin' Cubs.

JUribe1989
03-14-2005, 06:44 PM
WOW, this is hilarious watching Sportsnite. All the Cubs players are just bitching and moaning about how windy it was, and that is the only reason that the home runs left the park. LOL, It's great to sit back and watch the excuses after another Flub loss.

yoester
03-14-2005, 07:36 PM
Before the game, I believe it was Offman on the Score reported that there was extra press coverage to cover the game. The press all flocked to the Cubs to talk about Mark Prior's injury. Because of this he also stated that Guillen was swearing and making obscene gestures at the reporters in good fun because no one was talking to the Sox. Offman also said that he wanted to talk to Kenny Williams about El Duque's last performance but didn't get a chance to talk to the Sox, he was too busy covering the Cubs and Prior.

gobears1987
03-14-2005, 07:38 PM
WOW, this is hilarious watching Sportsnite. All the Cubs players are just bitching and moaning about how windy it was, and that is the only reason that the home runs left the park. LOL, It's great to sit back and watch the excuses after another Flub loss.
I guess the wind was only blowing when the Sox were at bat.

mealfred13
03-14-2005, 08:26 PM
One of the big things I noticed in the game today was how much fun the Sox players were having, and how well they all seem to get along, including newcomers like Pierzynski and minor-leaguers.

I especially loved seeing AJ laughing and giving the double-barrelled thumbs up as he ran back to the dugout after he slipped on home plate after his home run, and watching Ozzie make the entire infield crack up on the mound, including Buehrle after he just got rocked for 3 runs.

Maybe they weren't taking the game too seriously today, but they had a lot of fun and got the job done while enjoying themselves. I'm liking the outlook for the season.

spawn
03-14-2005, 08:47 PM
Cry me a river. Why didn't any of them get any balls into the jetstream, then? I don't care if it is ST and the homers that were hit were wind aided (although Rowand's first homer would've been out without the wind), it was nice seeing the Sox beat the SCrubs.

MUsoxfan
03-14-2005, 08:52 PM
Why didn't any of them get any balls into the jetstream, then? I don't care if it is ST and the homers that were hit were wind aided (although Rowand's first homer would've been out without the wind), it was nice seeing the Sox beat the SCrubs.

My point exactly. It's hard to judge from watching one game, but it appears that Rusch is back to his status quo.....giving up tons and tons of runs. Last year was a fluke season for him. Gotta love him in the best rotation in baseball

Ol' No. 2
03-14-2005, 08:54 PM
My point exactly. It's hard to judge from watching one game, but it appears that Rusch is back to his status quo.....giving up tons and tons of runs. Last year was a fluke season for him. Gotta love him in the best rotation in baseballRusch was working on his spots. Unfortunately for him, that spot was belt-high and out over the plate. I see great things in his future.

spawn
03-14-2005, 08:55 PM
No doubt. If the Cubs want something to complain about, then ask Rusch to throw some ground outs. From what I saw, they played on the same field. They were out-homered 6-0. Something tells me they will mis Clement.:D:

MUsoxfan
03-14-2005, 08:57 PM
No doubt. If the Cubs want something to complain about, the ask Rusch to throw some ground outs. From what I saw, they played on the same field. They were out-homered 6-0. Something tells me they will mis Clement.:D:

6-1....Barrett snuck one in there

spawn
03-14-2005, 08:58 PM
6-1....Barrett snuck one in there
Oh yeah...my bad!

Ol' No. 2
03-14-2005, 09:09 PM
6-1....Barrett snuck one in thereAlso wind-aided. But I guess that doesn't count.

SoxFan76
03-14-2005, 09:25 PM
I thought it was funny when Rooney and Farmer were indirectly taking shots at Cub fans when the guy threw back Rowand's (?) home run ball.

DrCrawdad
03-14-2005, 09:32 PM
The Grobber's take on the game...

Perhaps Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen were joking a bit when they indicated that they wanted to win each Cactus League game against the Cubs. Then again, perhaps not. The White Sox, still feeling it after dropping 4 of 6 to the Cubs in regular inter-league play last year, got a 9-5 win...

...Ryan Dempster and Glendon Rusch each worked four innings and combined to give up six Homers in the Arizona thin air.

...a wind blown dinger by Juan Uribe...

...Michael Barrett had the lone Cub dinger, in the 5th-his first this Spring...

So according to Les, the game was important to the Sox and apparently not that important to the Cubs. Of course Les glossed over the fact that the Cubs started virtually all of their starters and I guess Les missed Dusty's comments about how he wanted to win this game against the Sox and that's why he started his regulars.

According to Les, if it's a Sox homer chalk it up to thin air and the wind. Cubs HR and it's simply a dinger.

Frankfan4life
03-14-2005, 09:37 PM
Sportswriter Sam Smith brought up steriods as a possible reason for Prior's and Wood's frequent injuries. Ouch!

SoxFan76
03-14-2005, 09:43 PM
Sportswriter Sam Smith brought up steriods as a possible reason for Prior's and Wood's frequent injuries. Ouch!

A lot of people here brought this up last year.

Frankfan4life
03-14-2005, 09:56 PM
A lot of people here brought this up last year.I'm sorry I missed that discussion. These latest injuries only add fuel to the speculation.

Fake Chet Lemon
03-14-2005, 10:20 PM
I'm one of the first to slam the Cubs at any opportunity, but to get excited about ANY spring training win is ridiculous. Let's slow down and gloat after we beat them in May and June. But feel free to gloat about Prior and Wood going down :bandance: .

owensmouth
03-14-2005, 11:22 PM
Let's see, the wind was blowing out to right field. And Konerko's home run was wind aided...how? Maybe the wind kept it from going foul before it clanged off the pole in left field.

Ho Ho Kam Field was full, mostly with Cubs fans. Anytime a park full of Cubs fans goes home muttering under their breath because their team just lost to the White Sox is a good day.

MRKARNO
03-14-2005, 11:39 PM
I dont have the full offensive stats, but so far, everything is looking fairly good. We'll look at various stats of our starting lineup:

Podsednik .526 AVG 4 steals
Iguchi .263 AVG
Everett .333 AVG 3 HR .857 SLG, 12 RBI led all MLBers in spring as of yesterday
Konerko .400 AVG 2 HR 4 2B
Dye .268 AVG .558 SLG
Rowand .520 AVG 2 HR
Pierzynski 2 HR AVG .235 and rising
Crede You probably dont want to know.....
Uribe .348 AVG

So for the most part we see some pretty encouraging things at the plate. The pitching stats aren't that great, but I wouldnt focus on that as much with the pitchers, as they're less meaningful than the relatively meaningless spring hitting stats. I am starting to feel better about this offense with the showing I've seen this spring, but we cannot get too optimistic from this. I feel better about the ability of this team to hit though than I did a few days ago. Who is to say that we won't score runs in 2005? I certainly won't be one of those who say that.

SoxFan76
03-14-2005, 11:45 PM
I'm sorry I missed that discussion. These latest injuries only add fuel to the speculation.

Don't be sorry, I'm just saying that Smith is saying what some of us have speculated all along.

balke
03-14-2005, 11:46 PM
I had a cub fan in the house for dinner. The replay was on, and I knew the results. He didn't, and immediately gloated w/ glee over the 2nd inning run for the cubbies. Then I just sat back and had a blast watching dinger after dinger. "Oh look there's a homerun for the Cubs, does that count for 7? No, they're still count as 1 huh?" I love this rivalry. Thanks Glendon! :thumbsup:

/satisfaction.

Viva Medias B's
03-14-2005, 11:48 PM
I know it was only a spring training game, but I'm glad as hell that we won in Mesa today.

StillMissOzzie
03-14-2005, 11:49 PM
Thank goodness there's people to remind us that it's still only Spring Training and these games don't mean anything.:rolleyes:

For just a minute there I was pretty happy that we beat the frickin' Cubs.

'Tis better to give than receive - the trash talk to sCrUB fans, that is! I agree that it doesn't matter, but it's ALWAYS fun to beat them!

Yeah - funny how the wind only blows out when the Sox were batting.

SMO
:gulp:

Viva Medias B's
03-14-2005, 11:51 PM
Guillen was swearing and making obscene gestures at the reporters in good fun because no one was talking to the Sox.

:ozzie
"I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore!!!"

hdog1017
03-15-2005, 10:15 AM
I'm going to make some popcorn for the summer's new production: The Passion of Prior 2, starring Mark Prior, Carrie Wood, & Barry Pepper as Dale Earnheart. It should be a classic.

tadscout
03-15-2005, 12:07 PM
Before the game, I believe it was Offman on the Score reported that there was extra press coverage to cover the game. The press all flocked to the Cubs to talk about Mark Prior's injury. Because of this he also stated that Guillen was swearing and making obscene gestures at the reporters in good fun because no one was talking to the Sox. Offman also said that he wanted to talk to Kenny Williams about El Duque's last performance but didn't get a chance to talk to the Sox, he was too busy covering the Cubs and Prior.

Heck just shows that Ozzie could yell out as a joke that he's steroid using homosexual, and the media still wouldn't pay attention and would be flocked over the cubs...

mccombe_35
03-15-2005, 12:31 PM

I watched the Super Bowl at the Ram this year.:smile:

I listened to the game on the radio at work & then went home to see the replay! Great game!:bandance:

maurice
03-15-2005, 01:52 PM
The Cubune (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050314sox,1,5099442.story?coll=cs-home-headlines) was in full propaganda mode today. The game article contains one valid point + several BS excuses:
- "[T]his was only an exhibition game and both teams had more pressing issues than beating their rivals": I agree.
- The Sox hit "six home runs under windy conditions": Even the cubbie broadcasters pointed out that the conditions were exactly the same for both teams. Besides, shouldn't this favor the cubs' awe-inspiring lineup over the Sox powerless lineup?
- "[W]inds gusted toward right field and turned deep drives into home runs": This lame excuse was so nice that they had to say it twice.
- "[A] couple of those balls I thought were fly balls any other time": Make that three times.
- "Both teams fielded lineups with a majority of their starters": Excuse me? The Sox lineup consisted of four starters + Buehrle. (AL pitchers are not "starters" in the regular "lineup," which normally includes a DH.) The rest of the Sox lineup consisted of the backup 2B, a AAA IF, a AAA RF, and a 20-year-old LF who has never even played at AA. The cubs fielded what appears to be their entire regular starting lineup against LHPs. Dusty conceded as much.

The true story (hinted at in the article) is that it's been a real rough week for cubs' starting pitching. Two starters go down and two more get shelled by the Sox, leaving them (for the time being) with an All-Ace rotation that consists of Zambrano, a 67-year-old Maddux, and nobody of any significance.
:whiner:

The understated salary-dump of Matt Clement is looking pretty serious right about now.

Ol' No. 2
03-15-2005, 02:10 PM
The Cubune (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050314sox,1,5099442.story?coll=cs-home-headlines) was in full propaganda mode today. The game article contains one valid point + several BS excuses:
- "[T]his was only an exhibition game and both teams had more pressing issues than beating their rivals": I agree.
- The Sox hit "six home runs under windy conditions": Even the cubbie broadcasters pointed out that the conditions were exactly the same for both teams. Besides, shouldn't this favor the cubs' awe-inspiring lineup over the Sox powerless lineup?
- "[W]inds gusted toward right field and turned deep drives into home runs": This lame excuse was so nice that they had to say it twice.
- "[A] couple of those balls I thought were fly balls any other time": Make that three times.
- "Both teams fielded lineups with a majority of their starters": Excuse me? The Sox lineup consisted of four starters + Buehrle. (AL pitchers are not "starters" in the regular "lineup," which normally includes a DH.) The rest of the Sox lineup consisted of the backup 2B, a AAA IF, a AAA RF, and a 20-year-old LF who has never even played at AA. The cubs fielded what appears to be their entire regular starting lineup against LHPs. Dusty conceded as much.

The true story (hinted at in the article) is that it's been a real rough week for cubs' starting pitching. Two starters go down and two more get shelled by the Sox, leaving them (for the time being) with an All-Ace rotation that consists of Zambrano, a 67-year-old Maddux, and nobody of any significance.
:whiner:

The understated salary-dump of Matt Clement is looking pretty serious right about now.The way Ryan Dumpster and Glendon Rusch were pitching, the Sox could have played their high-A prospects and scored enough runs to win.

irish rover
03-15-2005, 03:29 PM
The Ram is very good been to the one in Schaumberg and the on Higgins near O'Hare

I didn't watch but one of the funniest things was when Farmio and Rooney were cracking on some clown walking around in a Ivy costume

The Dude from the suntimes

'They used the elements today,'' Cubs manager Dusty Baker said of the Sox' home-run barrage that came with a strong wind blowing out at HoHoKam.

shut the heck up you fool

MeanFish
03-15-2005, 03:55 PM
'Tis better to give than receive - the trash talk to sCrUB fans, that is! I agree that it doesn't matter, but it's ALWAYS fun to beat them!

Yeah - funny how the wind only blows out when the Sox were batting.

SMO
:gulp:

Who do they think we are, anyway? The Twins? :redneck

skobabe8
03-16-2005, 04:07 PM

http://www.670thescore.com/includes/news_items/2/13/ofman.jpg
"Whats your point?"

Ol' No. 2
03-16-2005, 05:09 PM
http://www.670thescore.com/includes/news_items/2/13/ofman.jpg
"Whats your point?"Is it just me, or does Offman look like one of those people on the scoreboard with that silly camera that stretches the top of your head?

Mickster
03-16-2005, 05:12 PM
Is it just me, or does Offman look like one of those people on the scoreboard with that silly camera that stretches the top of your head?

:hawk
"Stretch!"