PDA

View Full Version : 10 Questions With KW

HebrewHammer
03-14-2005, 01:31 PM
http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050310&content_id=964237&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Can the season just start now so we can see this team play?

SoxFan76
03-14-2005, 01:36 PM
We have one goal here -- to win a World Series title for White Sox fans and the city of Chicago. Anything short of that is a failure.

Amen, playoffs don't mean squat. It's WS or bust.

Lip Man 1
03-14-2005, 01:50 PM
Considering the fact that since 1959 the Sox have only made the playoffs three times and have yet to win a home post season game in that span, I'd consider making the playoffs 'something'. And something you can build on.

Baring a miracle, akin to the parting of the Red Sea, this team has very little chance at the World Series.

You can't run before you can walk. Talking about the Series as an ultimate goal is laudable and worthy but I wouldn't say anything less then that is a failure simply because of what the Sox have to work with... be it real or by choice.

Lip

munchman33
03-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Considering the fact that since 1959 the Sox have only made the playoffs three times and have yet to win a home post season game in that span, I'd consider making the playoffs 'something'. And something you can build on.

Baring a miracle, akin to the parting of the Red Sea, this team has very little chance at the World Series.

You can't run before you can walk. Talking about the Series as an ultimate goal is laudable and worthy but I wouldn't say anything less then that is a failure simply because of what the Sox have to work with... be it real or by choice.

Lip

Three years ago the Angels won the World Series without making the playoffs the year before. Two years ago the Marlins won it without making the playoffs the year before.

Soxzilla
03-14-2005, 02:19 PM
Can we go one Q&A round with Kenny without the terms "he is a grinder" or "under the radar"?:?:

But yeah, I agree with Williams, anything short of a WS title is failure. I love that mentality.

Frater Perdurabo
03-14-2005, 04:20 PM

I'm not crazy enough to think the 2005 Sox are a "team for the ages," but at the same time, who in their right mind predicted the 2002 Angels, the 2003 Marlins, the 1997 Marlins, the 1987 Twins, the 1991 Twins, etc. would win it all before each of those seasons? There sure have been a significant number of "miracles, akin to the parting of the Red Sea" in the last 18 years.

Frater Perdurabo
03-14-2005, 04:21 PM
But yeah, I agree with Williams, anything short of a WS title is failure. I love that mentality.

Me too.

HawkISox
03-14-2005, 05:13 PM
There will be plenty of time of negativity if the team falters.

I like the way this team is put together, and feel they have the best chance to unseat Minnesota than they have had in the last few years.

Stroker Ace
03-14-2005, 05:20 PM

Lip

Good point.

MRKARNO
03-14-2005, 09:53 PM

Lip

I agree. Success to me in 2005 would be retaking the Central and at least being competitive in the ALDS. This corps of players will pretty much all be around next year (the only major player not under contract is Konerko, and it's widely expected that he will re-sign at some point), so we can definitely build on a division title.

Fake Chet Lemon
03-14-2005, 11:24 PM
Success will mean winning a postseason series. And it will keep Cub fans from throwing that in my face.

anewman35
03-15-2005, 10:21 AM

Lip

If Kenny said "Our goal is to win the AL Central", people here would blast him for not trying to win a World Series. Seriously, can the guy say anything that people won't critizice?

Procol Harum
03-15-2005, 10:33 AM
If Kenny said "Our goal is to win the AL Central", people here would blast him for not trying to win a World Series. Seriously, can the guy say anything that people won't critizice?

Hmmm...perhaps "hedgetrimmer." Sorry--couldn't resist. At any rate, I think the general argument would be first things first. And for the Sox that would mean getting back to the top rung of the division. KW could woof all he wanted to about winning the World Series but it would be tantamount to breaking wind into a hurricane given the franchise's recent history.

Ol' No. 2
03-15-2005, 10:34 AM
If Kenny said "Our goal is to win the AL Central", people here would blast him for not trying to win a World Series. Seriously, can the guy say anything that people won't critizice?You are dead on.

fquaye149
03-15-2005, 02:19 PM

"my goal is to hyp-mo-tize JR so he thinks he's steinbrenner and then we can spend 24 million on jaret wright, 30 million on contreras, 40 million on vazquez..."

Lip Man 1
03-15-2005, 02:20 PM
No.2:

It wasn't a rip job at Williams. I, for one, think his stated desire is great, I never heard Jumbotron Ron Schueler talk that way. My post was simply to say that if the Sox were to actually win the division with something more then their usual 83 wins a season I wouldn't consider it a waste or downplay it. it would be something to build on.

Lip

Ol' No. 2
03-15-2005, 02:34 PM
No.2:

It wasn't a rip job at Williams. I, for one, think his stated desire is great, I never heard Jumbotron Ron Schueler talk that way. My post was simply to say that if the Sox were to actually win the division with something more then their usual 83 wins a season I wouldn't consider it a waste or downplay it. it would be something to build on.

LipKeep in mind, KW's statements are for public consumption. What else is he going to say?