PDA

View Full Version : Borchard In Spring?

whitesoxwilkes
03-14-2005, 01:02 PM
So far, it looks like Borchard's been on a tear through exhibition season. Pair of doubles yesterday and that tape measure shot last week, plus it looks like his whiffs are down.

My memory is fuzzy--does he usually tear it up in Spring?

veeter
03-14-2005, 01:04 PM
I love Borchard but I think he would revert to form if brought north. Remember when Greg Norton would crank in spring training? Enough said.

NSSoxFan
03-14-2005, 01:04 PM
So far, it looks like Borchard's been on a tear through exhibition season. Pair of doubles yesterday and that tape measure shot last week, plus it looks like his whiffs are down.

My memory is fuzzy--does he usually tear it up in Spring?

IIRC, Borchard has been average during spring training throughout his career. Joe earned another season in AAA with his performance last year, and I would have it no other way.

Lip Man 1
03-14-2005, 01:24 PM
Great...trade him right now when his value is better.

Lip

Kuzman
03-14-2005, 01:32 PM

Lip

amen.

Randar68
03-14-2005, 01:39 PM

They may just do that. I've heard from several sources that multiple scouts have been watching him intently.

His swing looks markedly shorter. I don't know that he has a place with this team now or in the near future. Anderson is a better defender and contact hitter. Start him in Charlotte, I suppose, if you can't get good value for him. He seems relaxed and is having fun, one of his biggest short-commings of the past, gotta let the game come to him...

HITMEN OF 77
03-14-2005, 01:39 PM
I love Borchard but I think he would revert to form if brought north. Remember when Greg Norton would crank in spring training? Enough said.

What ever happened to Norton? TB right.?

Randar68
03-14-2005, 01:40 PM
What ever happened to Norton? TB right.?

He's with Colorado, IIRC, a 1B/3B utility-man.

HITMEN OF 77
03-14-2005, 01:41 PM

Lip

No No No, keep him on the roster and in mid July when he's batting .189 trade him for Robbie Alomar.

Frater Perdurabo
03-14-2005, 01:43 PM
To echo and riff off of Lip's sentiments:

There's no reason we Sox fans should root against him (or any other Sox player, for that matter). The better anyone performs, the higher their value as a player. You never know when the injury bug might bite. It's always nice to either have a piece who can fill in and replace the lost production, or to be able to trade a piece you don't need right now to get a replacement. If, say, Dye went down with an injury, how great would it be if Borchard got the call to play right field, and then built off his successful spring training to hit .285 with a bunch of homers in Dye's place? Alternatively, if Hernandez got hurt, a more valuable Borchard might be part of a package to bring in another experienced starter.

My deeppink scenario would be for LTP to hit .300 with 40 homers in full time duty batting 4th and playing right field with the Sox.

Why anyone would want to get rid of him just because of past disappointments is beyond me.

chisox2005
03-14-2005, 02:20 PM
No No No, keep him on the roster and in mid July when he's batting .189 trade him for Robbie Alomar.

I really want to take this as a joke but knowing the Sox I wouldn't be suprised.

kittle42
03-14-2005, 04:04 PM
He just hit an opposite field shot (!) right-handed(!!)

rdivaldi
03-14-2005, 04:12 PM

Trade value goes up. SELL! SELL!

:wink:

itsnotrequired
03-14-2005, 04:15 PM

This guy drives me nuts.

thezeker
03-14-2005, 05:04 PM
With all his problems I still believe Borchard has a much greater upside than Crede.

Crede appears to regressing while perhaps Borchard if finally approaching his potential. Only time will tell!

Randar68
03-14-2005, 05:07 PM
With all his problems I still believe Borchard has a much greater upside than Crede.

Crede appears to regressing while perhaps Borchard if finally approaching his potential. Only time will tell!

This is what, the end of week 2 of Spring training? Sheeesh...

thezeker
03-14-2005, 05:12 PM
This is what, the end of week 2 of Spring training? Sheeesh...

Crede has been regressing for over a year!

Randar68
03-14-2005, 05:16 PM

And? He's here until June at the earliest. These games don't mean a damned thing. Get over it for now.

thezeker
03-14-2005, 05:28 PM
And? He's here until June at the earliest. These games don't mean a damned thing. Get over it for now.

Maybe you didn't read my first post or maybe it was too complicated for you!

I said I believe Borchard has a greater upside or potential than Crede.

I don't care how long Crede has because that is immateial. Don't talk down to me like you are some kind of expert. I've been a SOX fan for over 40 years- thru good times and bad!

mccombe_35
03-14-2005, 05:45 PM

True, 3 years is longer than a year................:(:

DickAllen72
03-14-2005, 05:50 PM

You are correct, Sir.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Sox deal Borchard for Mackowiak if they can. There was a rumor to that effect on another board about a week or so ago. Then he can take Timo's spot on the roster and back up in the outfield as well as give us an option at 3B if Crede still struggles.

fquaye149
03-14-2005, 05:58 PM
Maybe you didn't read my first post or maybe it was too complicated for you!

I said I believe Borchard has a greater upside or potential than Crede.

I don't care how long Crede has because that is immateial. Don't talk down to me like you are some kind of expert. I've been a SOX fan for over 40 years- thru good times and bad!

a.) POTENTIAL is the key word.

b.) Borchard plays outfield, a position we're rich in. Crede plays third base (well). A position we last had Joey Valentine at and our next prospect doesn't project till next year or '07.

See why Crede gets more of a chance?

Chisox003
03-14-2005, 06:06 PM
We are sounding like Flub fans with all this potential talk....

Anyway, whats true is true and that is Joe is talented, and now that hes tearing it up....Sell high!!!

The minor league system is stacked with younger, better OF's and the ML roster is set in the OF....There is no need to keep him around if we can pick up ANYTHING of value (Im not saying give him away, pick up a 3B/Util Man at the least)

Sell High Sell High Sell High

Ol' No. 2
03-14-2005, 06:08 PM
We are sounding like Flub fans with all this potential talk....

Anyway, whats true is true and that is Joe is talented, and now that hes tearing it up....Sell high!!!

The minor league system is stacked with younger, better OF's and the ML roster is set in the OF....There is no need to keep him around if we can pick up ANYTHING of value (Im not saying give him away, pick up a 3B/Util Man at the least)

Sell High Sell High Sell HighWhich Joe Borchard are we talking about "tearing it up"? The one who was 4 for 19 (.211) coming into today's game?:?:

Fake Chet Lemon
03-14-2005, 11:32 PM
If Borchard makes any Major League roster this spring, that would indicate the team has no outfield depth what so ever. He had a Hell of an opportunity last season in the big boy leagues and he blew it. He's not a kid anymore either. He'll be in AAA-ball.