PDA

View Full Version : MLB TV worth it?

brewcrew/chisox
03-14-2005, 11:06 AM
Just wondering if there were any former customers of the MLB TV season package offered by mlb.com.

I have a dsl connnection and a mac powerbook. I wanted to ask around before I shelled out the $79.00. Any (dis?)satisfied customers out there?

samram
03-14-2005, 11:10 AM
I say go for it.

Unregistered
03-14-2005, 11:57 AM
Just wondering if there were any former customers of the MLB TV season package offered by mlb.com.

I have a dsl connnection and a mac powerbook. I wanted to ask around before I shelled out the $79.00. Any (dis?)satisfied customers out there? I've used it (on a mac) for the last 2 years and I love it. Definately worth it if you don't live in the Chicagoland area.

Edit: I see that you live in Logan Square - It's gonna be blacked out pretty much always if that's where you're logging in from.

MadCitySoxFan
03-14-2005, 08:16 PM

I have a dsl connnection and a mac powerbook. I wanted to ask around before I shelled out the $79.00. Any (dis?)satisfied customers out there?

Yeah, it's a great deal and the streaming video is quite good so it's worth it. About 98% of all games are broadcast on that package and I've even hooked up my laptop to the tv and it looks pretty good. Not broadcast quality, but still very good.

If you're living in Chicago you won't get White Sox games. But if you're interested in Brewers games you might be in luck. You can see the blackout restrictions by team here:
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/video/mlb_tv.jsp#blackout

ChiSoxRowand
03-14-2005, 09:15 PM
Yeah, it's a great deal and the streaming video is quite good so it's worth it. About 98% of all games are broadcast on that package and I've even hooked up my laptop to the tv and it looks pretty good. Not broadcast quality, but still very good.

If you're living in Chicago you won't get White Sox games. But if you're interested in Brewers games you might be in luck. You can see the blackout restrictions by team here:
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/video/mlb_tv.jsp#blackout

I know someone who lives in Rockford that had it last year, and he said you he couldn't get Cardinals or Brewers games in addition to Sox and Cubs games. It might be different for the Chicago area though.

voodoochile
03-14-2005, 09:40 PM
Last year was my first out of Chicago and MLB.TV was great to have. I had problems with my Internet access, but when things were working it was very cool.

owensmouth
03-15-2005, 12:49 AM
I use mine so that I can see the White Sox games. If you are in the Chicagoland area and want to watch the Sox games, forget it. The signal can get flakey and slow sometimes, even with DSL. To give you an idea, I was watching the Cubs/Sox game today while paying attention to WSI Pick to Click game thread. Someone put in an entry that the Sox were ahead 7-1 before Borchard's home run was shown on MLBTV.

JKryl
03-15-2005, 09:35 AM
I use mine so that I can see the White Sox games. If you are in the Chicagoland area and want to watch the Sox games, forget it. The signal can get flakey and slow sometimes, even with DSL. To give you an idea, I was watching the Cubs/Sox game today while paying attention to WSI Pick to Click game thread. Someone put in an entry that the Sox were ahead 7-1 before Borchard's home run was shown on MLBTV.

I thought the local games were blacked out.

Local Live Blackout: ALL LIVE MLB.TV games will be blacked out in both teams' home telecast markets and in Japan.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/video/mlb_tv.jsp

brewcrew/chisox
03-15-2005, 10:27 AM
Thanks everyone.

I was aware of the blackout dates but was only wondering about getting this for the Brewers et al. This was in addition to watching the Sox on TV (and going to Comisky of course). That's encouraging about hooking it up to the TV as well. I'll have to look into that.

MadCitySoxFan
03-15-2005, 12:17 PM
Thanks everyone.

I was aware of the blackout dates but was only wondering about getting this for the Brewers et al. This was in addition to watching the Sox on TV (and going to Comisky of course). That's encouraging about hooking it up to the TV as well. I'll have to look into that.

If you've got a laptop with an s-video output, but a tv, vcr or receiver with only RCA inputs (white, red and yellow) like I do, this is an easy way to hook up the video and audio from your laptop to the tv.

http://www.svideo.com/sv3rca.html

brewcrew/chisox
03-28-2005, 12:26 AM
One more question about this before I buy. When I click on the 'free trial' option just to test it out, I get a game on the MLB player. The player doesn't have any options on it for full screen or anything and the screen that the game is on is really small.
I'm assuming that this is just for the free trial and that when I actually buy the MLB tv, I can play it through my real one player and get the full screen option.

Am I right about this? Thanks again

SOX ADDICT '73
03-28-2005, 12:59 AM
One more question about this before I buy. When I click on the 'free trial' option just to test it out, I get a game on the MLB player. The player doesn't have any options on it for full screen or anything and the screen that the game is on is really small.
I'm assuming that this is just for the free trial and that when I actually buy the MLB tv, I can play it through my real one player and get the full screen option.

Am I right about this? Thanks again
I got a free month's subscription last July from Comcast, and I loved it. It always gave me the option to play it in RealPlayer and, of course, I opted for the FULL SCREEN mode every time.

I won't be buying it this year, but only 'cause I'm broke.:whiner: If I could afford to, you'd better believe I would get it.

jake27
03-28-2005, 10:51 PM
i have a question about it. im going to sign up for it using a debit card which has my address in michigan (i have it for college). so i will out down my address ihave here for it. when i come home for the summer, since i have an out of the area address, would i get the white sox games? or does it some how detect where in the country you are???

SOX ADDICT '73
03-29-2005, 01:33 AM
i have a question about it. im going to sign up for it using a debit card which has my address in michigan (i have it for college). so i will out down my address ihave here for it. when i come home for the summer, since i have an out of the area address, would i get the white sox games? or does it some how detect where in the country you are???
I'm no technophile, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure they can detect the IP address you're logging in from. So it won't matter if the method of payment is based in Michigan, Illinois, or Timbuktu. What matters is where the computer that you're using is located. In other words, log in while you're still in school, and you'll get Sox games (unless they're nationally televised, like ESPN Sunday Night Baseball, FOX Saturday, or maybe even The Sports Superstation WGN) but not the Tigers. When you come home, you'll lose the Sox broadcasts, but you'll still get to see Magg$ riding the bench for Detroit.

The Racehorse
03-31-2005, 07:51 PM
I signed up for the 2005 season earlier today... considering my location, if I wanted SOX games, it was pretty much mlb.tv or nothing...

... let's get this season started! :bandance: