PDA

View Full Version : Thank the Lord we have a decent Bullpen

Jerome
03-14-2005, 12:25 AM
I was reading the SI preview of all the teams, and something hit me. We have 3, maybe even 4 guys who can step in and get a save for us this year. Shingo, Hermanson, Marte, should all be good for minimum ten saves if one of the trio struggles. This got me thinking how much better our bullpen is than many other teams.

Can anyone name me the closers on these teams?

Blue Jays
Diamondbacks
Nationals
Brewers

etc.

There are going to be a lot of 15-25 sv guys this year who we've never heard of.

Jjav829
03-14-2005, 12:36 AM
I was reading the SI preview of all the teams, and something hit me. We have 3, maybe even 4 guys who can step in and get a save for us this year. Shingo, Hermanson, Marte, should all be good for minimum ten saves if one of the trio struggles. This got me thinking how much better our bullpen is than many other teams.

Can anyone name me the closers on these teams?

Blue Jays
Diamondbacks
Nationals
Brewers

etc.

There are going to be a lot of 15-25 sv guys this year who we've never heard of.

Blue Jays - Miguel Batista. For now. Check back tomorrow.
D'backs - Greg Aquino. Flame-thrower type, power arm. Could be good this year.
Nationals - Chad Cordero. If you don't know him, you should. He's already pretty good and only 22 years old.
Brewers - Mike Adams. He pitched well last year and the Brewers believe he can become a closer.

FightingBillini
03-14-2005, 12:44 AM
Good points. Dont forget that we have 5 men in our pen who have closed out games before. Politte and Vizcaino have also closed. Our pen will be one of our strengths this year. We could be a lot worse off.

Whitesox029
03-14-2005, 02:43 AM
Blue Jays - Miguel Batista. For now. Check back tomorrow.

And guess who's waiting in the wings......

:bkoch:

cubhater
03-14-2005, 07:17 AM
Brewers - Mike Adams. He pitched well last year and the Brewers believe he can become a closer.

What about Kolb? Did the Brewers make him a set-up man?

Soxzilla
03-14-2005, 08:23 AM
What about Kolb? Did the Brewers make him a set-up man?

He will be closing games for the Braves this year.

MHOUSE
03-16-2005, 02:58 AM
Actually I believe the Blue Jays closing job is a battle between Frasor, Speier, and possibly Koch. They experiemented with Batista closing late last year, but they need him in the rotation. Mike Adams should be pretty good for the Brewers and if not they have Ricky Bottalico in camp.

Jjav829
03-16-2005, 08:48 AM
Actually I believe the Blue Jays closing job is a battle between Frasor, Speier, and possibly Koch. They experiemented with Batista closing late last year, but they need him in the rotation. Mike Adams should be pretty good for the Brewers and if not they have Ricky Bottalico in camp.

It was between Frasor, Speier and Koch to begin with. But then last week, the Jays announced that Batista would be their closer this year. (http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050310&content_id=963984&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jsp&c_id=tor)

JRIG
03-16-2005, 09:15 AM
It was between Frasor, Speier and Koch to begin with. But then last week, the Jays announced that Batista would be their closer this year. (http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050310&content_id=963984&vkey=spt2005news&fext=.jsp&c_id=tor)

It wouldn't surprise me if that's a short-term solution until the Blue Jays can flip Batista and his contract ($4.75 million this year and next year) for prospects they can use.

Then it's probably be Speier.