PDA

View Full Version : Nationals sell 50,000 tickets in 6 hours

Fenway
03-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Expos could do this in 6 months :cool:

maybe

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2005/03/13/nationals_sell_50000_tickets_in_6_hours/

NSSoxFan
03-13-2005, 04:15 PM
Expos could do this in 6 months :cool:

maybe

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2005/03/13/nationals_sell_50000_tickets_in_6_hours/

Is 50,000 considered a lot??!???

SOXintheBURGH
03-13-2005, 06:01 PM
I was down in the DC area all weekend moving into my new place.. the place is absolutely going crazy over the Nationals.. its really interesting. Nationals hats on everyones head, Sports page covered with National stories (including one today in the Post about Rauch, includes the infamous KW quote "Anyone interested in Jon Rauch should contact me immediately.") Editorial columns from sports writers saying "I'm a life long Oriole fan, but no more." Actually looking forward to half-assed following them.:gulp:

chisoxmike
03-13-2005, 06:08 PM
Lets hope they like being in the celler. :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
03-13-2005, 06:09 PM
Big surprise the Nationals could sell tickets their first year in existence. It's a novelty and will remain a novelty for the next few years.

Call me in ten years when the Nationals are completing their ninth last-place finish, the team payroll is lowest in the league, and the owner whining about his MLB welfare check being too small to use for anything more than paying down debt.

When D.C. is still selling tickets after all of that I'll have learned something worth knowing.

Daver
03-13-2005, 06:14 PM
Big surprise the Nationals could sell tickets their first year in existence. It's a novelty and will remain a novelty for the next few years.

Call me in ten years when the Nationals are completing their ninth last-place finish, the team payroll is lowest in the league, and the owner whining about his MLB welfare check being too small to use for anything more than paying down debt.

When D.C. is still selling tickets after all of that I'll have learned something worth knowing.

MLB still owns the Nationals.

I wonder who decides how they spend their revenue sharing check?

FightingBillini
03-13-2005, 06:26 PM

I think you are speaking about the Orioles. Yes, there is always a novelty around a first year team, but this is a good, large fan base. Of course, it all depends on the owner, but whoever it is will certainly have a LOT of money to work with after the new park opens. Meanwhile, Angelos (if he still owns the team) will be finishing behind Tampa Bay on a regular basis, and still bitching about his "territory". He will start marketing Oriole Park as "historic" and "timeless" in the same veign as the Urinal. The two previous Washington franchises left because of bad owners and bad stadium situations, not because of a lack of support. The Nationals will have at least one of those knocked out of the way. I think they will succeed.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-13-2005, 06:31 PM
I think you are speaking about the Orioles. Yes, there is always a novelty around a first year team, but this is a good, large fan base. Of course, it all depends on the owner, but whoever it is will certainly have a LOT of money to work with after the new park opens. Meanwhile, Angelos (if he still owns the team) will be finishing behind Tampa Bay on a regular basis, and still bitching about his "territory". He will start marketing Oriole Park as "historic" and "timeless" in the same veign as the Urinal. The two previous Washington franchises left because of bad owners and bad stadium situations, not because of a lack of support. The Nationals will have at least one of those knocked out of the way. I think they will succeed.

I think it is waaaaaay premature to be speculating about any of this. The Nationals don't even have an owner yet!

There are plenty of cities besides D.C. that could support a major league ballclub if they had the same advantages you assume the Nationals are about to get.

Plenty of cities could be successful... including Montreal.

robertks61
03-13-2005, 06:55 PM

For 1 game!!!

voodoochile
03-13-2005, 09:14 PM
For 1 game!!!

Well, if the first game the ever play in DC isn't a sellout, it will be a HUGE news story. Those ticket stubs will be on e-bay within 24 hours after the game is over if not before the actual game.

Tickets for the first game at new Comiskey were scalping for $300 and up and that was 15 years ago and it was ONLY a new stadium, not a new team in a new city.

SOXintheBURGH
03-13-2005, 09:17 PM
Well, if the first game the ever play in DC isn't a sellout, it will be a HUGE news story. Those ticket stubs will be on e-bay within 24 hours after the game is over if not before the actual game.

Tickets for the first game at new Comiskey were scalping for $300 and up and that was 15 years ago and it was ONLY a new stadium, not a new team in a new city.

Did Tampa Bay sell out its first game? Or any?

ewokpelts
03-13-2005, 09:55 PM
the sox sold 55,000 tix on the first day of individual tix onsale in 2001, and that was off a division win , AND they were still selling flubs tix through the box office....
Gene

ewokpelts
03-13-2005, 09:57 PM
I think it is waaaaaay premature to be speculating about any of this. The Nationals don't even have an owner yet!

There are plenty of cities besides D.C. that could support a major league ballclub if they had the same advantages you assume the Nationals are about to get.

Plenty of cities could be successful... including Montreal.
yes..the nats have an owner...30 of them...including these tools

:reinsy
:tool

Gene

WhiteSoxFan84
03-13-2005, 11:54 PM

You might be right but when that new ballpark opens, they'll get another 3-4 years of near sellouts just because of the park.

Randar68
03-14-2005, 12:50 PM
I was down in the DC area all weekend moving into my new place.. the place is absolutely going crazy over the Nationals.. its really interesting. Nationals hats on everyones head, Sports page covered with National stories (including one today in the Post about Rauch, includes the infamous KW quote "Anyone interested in Jon Rauch should contact me immediately.") Editorial columns from sports writers saying "I'm a life long Oriole fan, but no more." Actually looking forward to half-assed following them.:gulp:

Spending a bunch of time in that area, I can unequivocally say that this is going to end up all but killing the Orioles. I don't feel terribly bad for Peter Angelos, but everyone pooh-pooh'ed him when he complained when the move was proposed, but I PERSONALLY know of a handful of Orioles ST holders who dropped them for Nat's ST's, and I don't even live in the area. I imagine it's going to have a HUGE negative impact on Baltimore baseball with an already dwindling attendance number the last couple years...

Randar68
03-14-2005, 12:54 PM

Winston-Salem and Kanny play a few away games every year up in Frederick and Hagerstown respectively. Be sure to take a little ride up there to catch some of those games...

DC Sox Fan
03-14-2005, 03:07 PM
PHG brings up a good point that it's going to take awhile. DC is- always has been and always will be- a Redskins town. The hardest ticket to get is in that 95000 seat monstrosity known as FedEx field. Even with the team sucking it up lately, they will never not sell out a game.

The Bullets (I still can't call them the Wizards) never did all that well until MJ's return, when they sold out every game for 2 years. Just as that wave was starting to wear off, they now have a young, exciting, decent team, so attendance is pretty good.

The Caps have a devoted, hard-core base of season tix holders, including yours truly. This is where the fair-weather side of DC sports rears its ugly head the most. You'll see 12k some night, and then 18+k sellouts. It all depends on who is in town. Flyers fans, Penguins fans, Maple Leafs fans, etc. The Bullets also use to market games based on who the opposition was.

This brings me to my point- novelty for the Nats might start to wear off after a couple years. Then boom- new ballpark, more novelty. This is supposedly going to be a different type of ballpark- no candy-ass "retro" job like you've seen everywhere the last 12 years. I am hoping this will prolong the "novelty" factor.

The Nats will succeed financially because of DC's demographics. Anyone who has ever lived here knows that natives like myself are the exception. DC is full of transplants. I only grew up here because of my transplanted Chicago-born parents. Phillies fans will come down 95. Mets fans are in abundance here. Richmond, VA and south to the dirty is Braves country USA- largely attributed to Atlanta's AAA team being located in Richmond- only 100 miles south. You will see a ton of Braves fans here- maybe not as bad as when Camden Yards becomes "Fenway Park at Camden Yards" or "Yankee Stadium South" every year( and that's why the BlO's will survive- along with the sweetheart deal old Havanna Pete is getting), but they will show up.

As far as ownership is concerned, there are several groups that have put in deposits/bids. There will probably be new ownership by the All-Star break and I guarantee by the end of Summer.

Did the Expos fans get screwed? You bet. Did DC give up too much- debatable at this point. There is a proposal from one man who will pay for the entire stadium in exchange for land/development rites. Did the MLB owners show what a greedy bunch of thugs they are? Hey, just ask THE MAN WHO MADE THIS DEAL WITH DC:

"CHA-CHING!!!"

But I'm just glad I don't have to spend hours to go to see Major League Baseball (although I'll still gladly make the trek when the Sox are in town) and I don't have to give Angelos another dime of my money (again, except when the Sox are in town)

BTW: Opening day tix are already going for over a grand on stubhub, e-bay, etc.

SOXintheBURGH
03-14-2005, 03:38 PM
Winston-Salem and Kanny play a few away games every year up in Frederick and Hagerstown respectively. Be sure to take a little ride up there to catch some of those games...

Nice, thanks for the heads up! :cool: My place is about an hour from Hagerstown, 40 minutes from Frederick.

SOXintheBURGH
03-14-2005, 03:42 PM
PHG brings up a good point that it's going to take awhile. DC is- always has been and always will be- a Redskins town. The hardest ticket to get is in that 95000 seat monstrosity known as FedEx field. Even with the team sucking it up lately, they will never not sell out a game.

The Bullets (I still can't call them the Wizards) never did all that well until MJ's return, when they sold out every game for 2 years. Just as that wave was starting to wear off, they now have a young, exciting, decent team, so attendance is pretty good.

The Caps have a devoted, hard-core base of season tix holders, including yours truly. This is where the fair-weather side of DC sports rears its ugly head the most. You'll see 12k some night, and then 18+k sellouts. It all depends on who is in town. Flyers fans, Penguins fans, Maple Leafs fans, etc. The Bullets also use to market games based on who the opposition was.

This brings me to my point- novelty for the Nats might start to wear off after a couple years. Then boom- new ballpark, more novelty. This is supposedly going to be a different type of ballpark- no candy-ass "retro" job like you've seen everywhere the last 12 years. I am hoping this will prolong the "novelty" factor.

The Nats will succeed financially because of DC's demographics. Anyone who has ever lived here knows that natives like myself are the exception. DC is full of transplants. I only grew up here because of my transplanted Chicago-born parents. Phillies fans will come down 95. Mets fans are in abundance here. Richmond, VA and south to the dirty is Braves country USA- largely attributed to Atlanta's AAA team being located in Richmond- only 100 miles south. You will see a ton of Braves fans here- maybe not as bad as when Camden Yards becomes "Fenway Park at Camden Yards" or "Yankee Stadium South" every year( and that's why the BlO's will survive- along with the sweetheart deal old Havanna Pete is getting), but they will show up.

As far as ownership is concerned, there are several groups that have put in deposits/bids. There will probably be new ownership by the All-Star break and I guarantee by the end of Summer.

Did the Expos fans get screwed? You bet. Did DC give up too much- debatable at this point. There is a proposal from one man who will pay for the entire stadium in exchange for land/development rites. Did the MLB owners show what a greedy bunch of thugs they are? Hey, just ask THE MAN WHO MADE THIS DEAL WITH DC:

"CHA-CHING!!!"

But I'm just glad I don't have to spend hours to go to see Major League Baseball (although I'll still gladly make the trek when the Sox are in town) and I don't have to give Angelos another dime of my money (again, except when the Sox are in town)

BTW: Opening day tix are already going for over a grand on stubhub, e-bay, etc.

I'm a Pittsburgh guy, transplanted from Chicago, who's moving to DC.. and to be honest, I have no idea what to expect when it comes to sports in the area. Some of my more hated teams in sports are the Ravens and Capitols, so that will be interesting (you got a problem with Penguins fans???:tongue: ). While I expect there to be a strong contingent of legitimate fans that grew up in the area, I'm also half expecting to see just a lot of idiots following whats hot this week.