PDA

View Full Version : 3 Red Sox fans could win OFFICIAL World Series rings

Fenway
03-13-2005, 03:13 PM
I can not even fathom how much revenue this lottery might generate

Sox fans could buy ring for $10 (Boston Herald (MA), (http://docs.newsbank.com/openurl?ctx_ver=z39.88-2004&rft_id=info:sid/iw.newsbank.com:NewsBank:BNHB&rft_val_format=info:ofi/fmt:kev:mtx:ctx&rft_dat=108BE4754AB69DEF&svc_dat=InfoWeb:aggregated4&req_dat=0F40413B3B2D7D5C)

"It will be the same ring players get," says Meg Vaillancourt, executive director of the Red Sox Foundation. "It will have the fans' names engraved on the side. These will be three fans standing in for the generations of fans who have been so loyal to this team."

CubKilla
03-13-2005, 11:41 PM
Pretty soon the Red Sox will be giving rings to anyone who ever said a nice thing about the BoSox.

BridgePortNative
03-14-2005, 12:19 AM
:whocares

C'mon Fenway, do u think White Sox fans really care what goes on with the Yankees II????

Fenway
03-14-2005, 02:09 PM
:whocares

C'mon Fenway, do u think White Sox fans really care what goes on with the Yankees II????

Name one team that ever even thought of including the fans in the rings?

Since it is for charity they should be applauded.

and yes White Sox fans should care because when you guys win you will have your list to present to JR

Tekijawa
03-14-2005, 02:12 PM
Pretty soon the Red Sox will be giving rings to anyone who ever said a nice thing about the BoSox.

I wonder where they'll store the truck load that they drop off at Peter Gammons house?

I do like the idea though, hopefully the real Sox do it next year!

Fenway
03-14-2005, 02:18 PM
I wonder where they'll store the truck load that they drop off at Peter Gammons house?

I do like the idea though, hopefully the real Sox do it next year!

and in Boston we think Gammons is too negative against Boston

http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/music/other_stories/images/03501763.gif

Soxzilla
03-14-2005, 02:25 PM
Since those fans played in the WS right?

Fenway
03-14-2005, 02:28 PM
Since those fans played in the WS right?

Maybe for once an ownership group is saying without the fans there is nothing

Soxzilla
03-14-2005, 09:22 PM
Maybe for once an ownership group is saying without the fans there is nothing

It doesn't mean they should get rings.

Some players work their butts of their entire careers to get those things, and most of the time don't, so why should a handful of measly fans get one?

I smell :bs:

Fenway
05-12-2005, 04:46 PM
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bos/fan_forum/raffle.jsp

Hopefully White Sox Charities will have a chance to do it soon :smile:

Baby Fisk
05-12-2005, 04:50 PM
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/bos/fan_forum/raffle.jsp

BS, cloaked by charity, is still BS. When does Stephen King get presented his ring?

nasox
05-12-2005, 08:50 PM
Despite the comments in this thread, that is a pretty cool way to be fan friendly

soxfan26
05-12-2005, 10:10 PM

Hopefully the Sox will have more sense than that. Lil Pudge said it best, this is just :bs:

Fenway
05-13-2005, 04:15 PM
I will stand by my earlier comment without the fans, there is nothing

The $$$$ is for charity and it is only 3 rings

Paulwny
05-13-2005, 06:21 PM

I agree, the fans are the people who are always loyal to a team while the players will jump from the ship for $$$$.

Baby Fisk
05-16-2005, 09:30 AM

Only three rings is three rings too many and cheapens their symbolism. What if some schmuck who's never been to a Red Sox game and barely follows the team enters and wins a ring? Pathetic. What if some avaricious vulture wins the ring and puts it up for auction on eBay the next day?

If they really want to honour their fans, go find the OLDEST LIVING RED SOX FAN or the FAN WHO HAS HELD TICKETS TO FENWAY PARK THE LONGEST and bestow such a precious token of victory on someone who, if I have to use the word, "deserves" it.

No one other than players and team personnel should be given rings.

I missed Ben Affleck's ring presentation ceremony. Was it a touching moment? :rolleyes:

Fenway
07-07-2005, 02:39 PM
Tonight is the night the Red Sox announce the winners of the rings.

Based on the Red Sox success with this, every champion will do it from now on

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050706&content_id=1118226&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

The first-ever World Series Ring Raffle concluded Sunday night and those who bought the 200,000 tickets will have their eyes glued to redsox.com and NESN on Thursday night prior to the Red Sox-Orioles game (7 p.m. ET) to see if they are holding the ticket that will entitle them to a piece of Red Sox history. The three winners will receive an authentic 2004 World Series ring, identical in every way to those presented to Red Sox players -- the same make, model, materials and jewels -- and will include the winners' names engraved on the side just like the players' rings.

maurice
07-07-2005, 02:42 PM
If you don't win the raffle, you could always try being an authoritarian world leader. Boston teams love giving rings to guys like that.

Fenway
07-07-2005, 02:44 PM
If you don't win the raffle, you could always try being an authoritarian world leader. The Red Sox love giving rings to guys like that.

no Putin stole the Patriots owners ring :smile:

but Kraft just signed a big deal to build a box factory there so

RKMeibalane
07-07-2005, 02:48 PM
Why was this brought back?

Baby Fisk
07-08-2005, 09:27 AM
To remind us how little respect the Red Sox organization has for World Series rings.

CleeFan101
07-08-2005, 09:35 AM
Id like the idea better if the raffle was only an option for season ticket holders. It wouldnt really make much money but hey who deserves it more than the season ticket holders.

1951Campbell
07-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Well, whoever wins a ring, I have some advice for them. Ready?

Do not give your ring to Vladimir Putin.

That is all.

Heffalump
07-08-2005, 11:58 AM
How can you not think this is this an awesome idea?

1. The BoSox owners recognize the importance of the fans in a meaningful/tangible way (beyond just thanking all the fans in their victory speech).

2. The proceeds all go to help a charity.

Hopefully, Reinsdorf would be willing to do something similar if/when our Sox go all the way.

Fenway
07-10-2005, 07:09 PM
How can you not think this is this an awesome idea?

1. The BoSox owners recognize the importance of the fans in a meaningful/tangible way (beyond just thanking all the fans in their victory speech).

2. The proceeds all go to help a charity.

Hopefully, Reinsdorf would be willing to do something similar if/when our Sox go all the way.

3 very happy fans.

(and the Red Sox gave one to any employee who worked 1000 hours or more in 2004 )
Kristin Vona, a speech pathologist from Malden, said she and her husband, Michael, did not even watch the drawing, which was broadcast on NESN and featured past Red Sox stars Jim Rice, Luis Tiant, and Johnny Pesky. Michael Vona caught a replay of the drawing later, but went to bed without checking their four tickets, which were bought online. During an 11 p.m. newscast, Kristin Vona saw some familiar-looking numbers flashing onscreen and ran to the desk in the kitchen to fetch the tickets from a basket.

''I was shaking; I had tears in my eyes," Vona said.

Mike Pandolfi, a lawyer from Hopkinton, bought 10 tickets on a whim, unbeknownst to his wife, who is not much of a baseball fan. He chalked up the $100 as a donation to charity and forgot about the tickets until he heard about the drawing on the radio as he drove home from work last Thursday.

''The thought then wasn't so much about winning the ring, but that it'd be great if I had a chance to go to the Yankees game," Pandolfi said.

Still, he never bothered to check his tickets and only found out he had won when a Red Sox official called him Friday morning.
''I was in complete disbelief," Rick Ryan of Weston said yesterday from Alaska, where he is on a cruise. ''I had the same feeling I had when they beat the Yankees, which I didn't think I could ever have again."

He had just returned from salmon fishing Friday, the day he turned 45, when he received an e-mail from the Red Sox instructing him to call immediately. He learned via satellite phone that he had won.

ilsox7
07-10-2005, 07:11 PM
3 very happy fans.

(and the Red Sox gave one to any employee who worked 1000 hours or more in 2004 )
Kristin Vona, a speech pathologist from Malden, said she and her husband, Michael, did not even watch the drawing, which was broadcast on NESN and featured past Red Sox stars Jim Rice, Luis Tiant, and Johnny Pesky. Michael Vona caught a replay of the drawing later, but went to bed without checking their four tickets, which were bought online. During an 11 p.m. newscast, Kristin Vona saw some familiar-looking numbers flashing onscreen and ran to the desk in the kitchen to fetch the tickets from a basket.

''I was shaking; I had tears in my eyes," Vona said.

Mike Pandolfi, a lawyer from Hopkinton, bought 10 tickets on a whim, unbeknownst to his wife, who is not much of a baseball fan. He chalked up the $100 as a donation to charity and forgot about the tickets until he heard about the drawing on the radio as he drove home from work last Thursday.

''The thought then wasn't so much about winning the ring, but that it'd be great if I had a chance to go to the Yankees game," Pandolfi said.

Still, he never bothered to check his tickets and only found out he had won when a Red Sox official called him Friday morning.
''I was in complete disbelief," Rick Ryan of Weston said yesterday from Alaska, where he is on a cruise. ''I had the same feeling I had when they beat the Yankees, which I didn't think I could ever have again."

He had just returned from salmon fishing Friday, the day he turned 45, when he received an e-mail from the Red Sox instructing him to call immediately. He learned via satellite phone that he had won.

I don't believe for 1 second that these people weren't huddled around a TV feverishly checking their tickets as the numbers were called.

Fenway
07-10-2005, 07:27 PM
I don't believe for 1 second that these people weren't huddled around a TV feverishly checking their tickets as the numbers were called.
The drawing on NESN had a higher combined rating that the NBC, CBS and ABC National newscasts :?:

The Red Sox can't do a 50-50 raffle ( Massachusetts Lottery said no ) so it was a good way to raise $2M for charity.

ilsox7
07-10-2005, 07:28 PM
The drawing on NESN had a higher combined rating that the NBC, CBS and ABC National newscasts :?:

The Red Sox can't do a 50-50 raffle ( Massachusetts Lottery said no ) so it was a good way to raise $2M for charity.

It was a brilliant idea. I just know if I had bought a ticket with a chance of winning a White Sox Ring, I'd certainly be glued to my TV.

chitownhawkfan
07-10-2005, 08:39 PM
I'm with Baby Fisk, this is a sham. Just because you whore out your rings in the name of charity doesnt make a difference it just cheapens it. I know this is the Talking Baseball Forum, but isnt this a Sox fan site, not a "SAWX" site. If I wanted Boston coverage I would turn on baseball tonight, blah these people are so self absorbed.

ilsox7
07-10-2005, 08:56 PM
I'm with Baby Fisk, this is a sham. Just because you whore out your rings in the name of charity doesnt make a difference it just cheapens it. I know this is the Talking Baseball Forum, but isnt this a Sox fan site, not a "SAWX" site. If I wanted Boston coverage I would turn on baseball tonight, blah these people are so self absorbed.

I guess I just don't get how raising $2MM for charity is a sham.

Fenway
07-10-2005, 09:00 PM
I guess I just don't get how raising $2MM for charity is a sham.

people here says it cheapens the ring.

Teams have been giving rings to employees for years, adding 3 fans is an extension of that.

If the White Sox did the same, 96% of the people on this board would enter

ilsox7
07-10-2005, 09:02 PM

Teams have been giving rings to employees for years, adding 3 fans is an extension of that.

It doesn't cheapen the ring. When player's speak of wanting to win a ring...they mean they want to go thru a season and win a championship. Any player could go and buy a ring...there are plenty that have hit ebay. It's a great way to help charity.

soxfanreggie
07-10-2005, 09:14 PM
This has been done before...the Detroit Pistons gave away a championship ring to a lucky fan who attended a game. This was a great fundraiser for charity...they could've sold $5 mil worth I'm sure had they wanted to. They won the series, it's their choice what to do with all the glory.

Baby Fisk
07-11-2005, 09:12 AM

No: adding three non-employees to the list of people who get a ring DOES cheapen its value. A ring symbolizes that its wearer has in some part contributed to the success of their team, and helped them win a championship. When a ring symbolizes that its wearer bought a raffle ticket, its value is diminished.

Fenway
07-11-2005, 03:06 PM
I'll simply say without the fans you have nothing.

No: adding three non-employees to the list of people who get a ring DOES cheapen its value. A ring symbolizes that its wearer has in some part contributed to the success of their team, and helped them win a championship. When a ring symbolizes that its wearer bought a raffle ticket, its value is diminished.

Fenway
07-13-2005, 09:45 PM

A Boston columnist agrees with you Baby Fisk

It might have been just as exciting, and a lot less crass, if the Red Sox had raffled off tickets to tomorrow's game against the New York Yankees instead. Those seats are as rare as a World Series championship ring used to be.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/07/13/a_hollow_ring_to_it?mode=PF

Baby Fisk
07-14-2005, 08:12 AM
Perhaps they could have raffled the chance for a Boston fan to "own" the WS trophy for a day. Do with it as you will, just surrender it back at the end of the day. It's a little more fragile looking than most other championship trophies (with all those flagpoles), but would still make for a memorable day.

Maybe MLB needs to create a better looking and more durable championship trophy, like the Stanley Cup. That trophy has a storied history of glory and also abuse (http://www.geocities.com/szczepanczyk/stanley.html) that any hockey fan would want to be a part of, even for a day. Baseball would benefit from creating a similar tradition.

Baby Fisk
07-14-2005, 08:12 AM
I'll simply say without the fans you have nothing.
When the fans join the payroll, they can get rings.