PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo.com biased against the Sox? Help, please...

SoxEd
03-13-2005, 02:29 PM
Note to mods: if this thread would be better placed in another forum, please move it.

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that the White Sox page (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/chw) on Yahoo.com only seems to have coverage of stories related to the Washington Nationals, and no coverage whatever of the Sox.

There were no such problem on the Nationals' site, or on the site of any other team I checked.

I emailed them to complain about this, and got a response along the lines of "gee, we're sorry, we'l look into it..."

I checked back a few days later, and it was still the same.

I checked back today, and there has been a change for the better:

There is yet another story related to the Nationals on the Sox' page - I presume it's there because it's a story about Loaiza, and it says he used to play for us, so there is a link to the Sox.

However, today, the top story on the page, is finally one that is exclusively devoted to the Sox and nothing at all to do with the Nationals:

It is, of course, how our new signing Jeremy Giambi has admitted to using steroids.

Despite the fact that the article mentions that he used to play for KC, there is no link to the KC site, and therefore, I presume, no mention of it on the KC page. Why is that, I wonder?

Funnily enough, the only other non-Nationals story on the page is another steroid story, about Canseco being invited to testify by Congress...

Clearly, our ST games merit no coverage whatsoever, and yet it is vitally important to link retired former Sox players, or newly-acquired ones, to illegal drug use.

Talk about impartial coverage...:angry:

I presume that Yahoo is part of the same group as the Tribune.

Clearly, they aren't going to do anything to rectify this situation while the only complaint they receive is from one lousy Brit, so I posted this here to ask you all to please go to Yahoo Sports' feedback page (http://add.yahoo.com/fast/help/sports/cgi_feedback), give them a good flaming, and tell them to sort it out.

Cheers,
Ed.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-13-2005, 03:24 PM
The problem is Scout.com (formerly Rivals.com) doesn't have a working publisher for the Sox page of their site. Scout has a distribution agreement with Yahoo and most of the non-AP articles at Yahoo are provided by Scout who charges you a membership fee.

Scout (then still called Rivals) approached WSI to publish their Sox page in Fall, 2002. We knew better than to accept their offer. They went to somebody else who then quit halfway through the 2003 season. It's hard to find good help.
:wink:

All the Sox stories at Yahoo are written by other Scout sites (non-Sox) trying to draw new subscribers to their own website. Unlike WSI, providing Sox content is not their primary purpose.

So you're basically wasting your time going there to find Sox news. But I'm guessing you already knew that...
:cool:

MIgrenade
03-13-2005, 06:31 PM
This is interesting because I was just on Yahoo thinking the same thing. There was nothing about the Sox winning but everything about the steroid hearings.

MRKARNO
03-13-2005, 08:20 PM
The problem is Scout.com (formerly Rivals.com) doesn't have a working publisher for the Sox page of their site. Scout has a distribution agreement with Yahoo and most of the non-AP articles at Yahoo are provided by Scout who charges you a membership fee.

Scout (then still called Rivals) approached WSI to publish their Sox page in Fall, 2002. We knew better than to accept their offer. They went to somebody else who then quit halfway through the 2003 season. It's hard to find good help.
:wink:

All the Sox stories at Yahoo are written by other Scout sites (non-Sox) trying to draw new subscribers to their own website. Unlike WSI, providing Sox content is not their primary purpose.

So you're basically wasting your time going there to find Sox news. But I'm guessing you already knew that...
:cool:

But you'd at least think they'd be able to dig out the AP wire stories about the White Sox and put them on that page. Apparently not...

zach074
03-13-2005, 09:17 PM
This is why i rely on WSI for my White Sox info.