PDA

View Full Version : KC Star article on Jeremy Giambi...

MaggPipes
03-13-2005, 12:16 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/11121497.htm

Basically what I got out of it is he wants a fresh start of course, and that steroids did not help him but hurt him...I still don't like it...once a cheater always a cheater imo....

fquaye149
03-13-2005, 12:42 PM
well better to admit it and move on I guess. I don't really care - he probably won't be playing big league ball for quite a while.

SEALgep
03-13-2005, 01:34 PM
...once a cheater always a cheater imo....It's not like he was acting alone, and appears to be the only one with any balls willing to admit it. Besides, it's not like there was really only 5-7% who were using, it's probably more like 10 times that, in one form or another. Anyway, steroids by themselves doesn't make a person bad, he deserves a second chance as much as any other player being given one. Besides, we're talking about a minor league contract.

Stroker Ace
03-13-2005, 02:10 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/11121497.htm

Basically what I got out of it is he wants a fresh start of course, and that steroids did not help him but hurt him...I still don't like it...once a cheater always a cheater imo....

Gotta agree with you on that one.

Clembasbal
03-13-2005, 02:17 PM
I agree. He is a cheater and the Sox should do with him what they did to Bernard.

We are not here to give bad ball players a 2nd chance, we are here to win the World Series.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-13-2005, 03:24 PM
Why did KW sign this guy? I don't get it at all.

Everyone knew he was on the juice already and we are loaded with OF prospects. Why bring this dope in to take up a roster spot from someone a lot more deserving?

PAPChiSox729
03-13-2005, 04:10 PM

Everyone knew he was on the juice already and we are loaded with OF prospects. Why bring this dope in to take up a roster spot from someone a lot more deserving?

I could possibly see why someone would sign him. Kenny may want an experienced veteran OF waiting in the minors if some of our guys go down. But considering that we have 5 (or 6 in including Borchard) OFs with a good amount of ML experience, I don't see why Kenny was the one to sign Giambi.

Rocklive99
03-13-2005, 04:27 PM
I thought it was a stupid signing when it happened (and it is so great now that this broke to see ESPN showing him in the Sox hat and logo :rolleyes: ), but I don't believe this "once a cheater, always a cheater." First off, you have to be retarded to get caught again with all the focus right now, and second of all, if I have learned anything throughtout this whole thing, is to not assume that our White Sox 25 or 40 man roster is/has been squeaky clean.

Banix12
03-13-2005, 05:27 PM
I agree. He is a cheater and the Sox should do with him what they did to Bernard.

We are not here to give bad ball players a 2nd chance, we are here to win the World Series.

Weren't we the team that signed Wil Cordero after he beat his wife or signed Jose Canseco when nobody else would? We have a long history of giving bad ball players with a sordid history a second chance, why stop now?

He so much as said in the article that he doesn't want to accept a invitation to Charlotte so I doubt we'll have to deal with him much longer than this spring training. With his batter's eye, if he could at least become a decent singles hitter he could hang around with some team as a fourth OF. He has some value as a player, but a lot of baggage.

If he is serious about wanting to be a poster child for the dangers or steriods and does the public service by speaking to students about why you shouldn't do it, then all the better to him. The jury is still out on him though, he's got to back that sentiment up with actions before the public will believe him.

Ol' No. 2
03-13-2005, 06:13 PM
On CSN they're talking about some developments in this story that they will feature at 6:30. Anyone know anything about this? Apparently, someone from the team (KW?) said something about Giambi's steroid history. I don't get it. Is there ANYONE who didn't know?

WhiteSoxFan84
03-14-2005, 01:36 AM
On CSN they're talking about some developments in this story that they will feature at 6:30. Anyone know anything about this? Apparently, someone from the team (KW?) said something about Giambi's steroid history. I don't get it. Is there ANYONE who didn't know?

weren't jeremy giambi and dye teammates in oakland?

StillMissOzzie
03-14-2005, 03:51 AM
I thought it was a stupid signing when it happened (and it is so great now that this broke to see ESPN showing him in the Sox hat and logo :rolleyes: ), but I don't believe this "once a cheater, always a cheater." First off, you have to be retarded to get caught again with all the focus right now, and second of all, if I have learned anything throughtout this whole thing, is to not assume that our White Sox 25 or 40 man roster is/has been squeaky clean.

First off, the picture I saw on ESPN.com had him in a Dodgers cap. Of more interest to me, though, is that apparently he had a news conference scheduled for Sunday and he backed out at the last minute. Who muzzled him-his agent, the White Sox, MLB, or some other "interested party"?

SMO
:gulp:

owensmouth
03-14-2005, 04:39 AM
weren't jeremy giambi and dye teammates in oakland?

Yup. And he and Rowand were teammates at Cal State Fullerton.

owensmouth
03-14-2005, 04:40 AM
First off, the picture I saw on ESPN.com had him in a Dodgers cap. Of more interest to me, though, is that apparently he had a news conference scheduled for Sunday and he backed out at the last minute. Who muzzled him-his agent, the White Sox, MLB, or some other "interested party"?

SMO
:gulp:

His lawyer

mikehuff
03-14-2005, 08:26 AM
Cheater. If he ever makes it to the major leagues, he's going to hear it from the fans.
I think the Sox picked him up as possible trade bait for later in the season, but I don't think this revelation makes it any easier.

brewcrew/chisox
03-14-2005, 10:24 AM

Reports this morning on the score (George Ofmann) state that Giambi's agent and JR have a close relationship and that KW may have been pressured by the chairman to sign Giambi.

Oh, and it was Burlehe who openly criticized Giambi and his steroid use, basically calling him a cheater. Perhaps that was the development that they had on the story.

JRIG
03-14-2005, 11:20 AM

Giambi really cannot play outfield. He's a DH, period.

Maybe extra insurance in case Frank is out longer and Carl goes down with an injury? I may be in the minority, but I'd rather see Giambi in the lineup if that happened rather than Ross Gload.

DaleJRFan
03-14-2005, 11:33 AM

Maybe extra insurance in case Frank is out longer and Carl goes down with an injury? I may be in the minority, but I'd rather see Giambi in the lineup if that happened rather than Ross Gload.

Ugh.. give me a break.

gosox41
03-14-2005, 01:25 PM
Cheater. If he ever makes it to the major leagues, he's going to hear it from the fans.
I think the Sox picked him up as possible trade bait for later in the season, but I don't think this revelation makes it any easier.

I don't know who would want this guy. Even when he was on the 'roids he wasn't all that good.

Bob

DaleJRFan
03-14-2005, 03:10 PM

Ya know, its been a few hours since you posted this blather and it still irks me. How can you "rather see" a confessed cheater in your line up rather than a hard working guy who just had a break out season (hitting 321!). You are off your rocker.