PDA

View Full Version : Report: Newspaper Story Linking McGwire to Steroids

Viva Medias B's
03-13-2005, 12:50 AM
According to ESPN's Rece Davis, it has been reported by the New York Daily News that Mark McGwire has been linked to illegal and anabolic steroids. Here is the story (http://nydailynews.com/front/breaking_news/story/289502p-247838c.html) from the New York tabloid.

SoxSpeed22
03-13-2005, 01:34 AM
According to ESPN's Rece Davis, it has been reported by the New York Daily News that Mark McGwire has been linked to illegal and anabolic steroids. Here is the story (http://nydailynews.com/front/breaking_news/story/289502p-247838c.html) from the New York tabloid.We should be surprised why?

SpammySosa
03-13-2005, 03:29 AM
According to ESPN's Rece Davis, it has been reported by the New York Daily News that Mark McGwire has been linked to illegal and anabolic steroids. Here is the story (http://nydailynews.com/front/breaking_news/story/289502p-247838c.html) from the New York tabloid.

It's ok,though because it helped him and Shammy save baseball,remember?

Deadguy
03-13-2005, 05:09 AM
I wonder if little Mac was using steroids the year in which he had to sit out the final game in order to avoid finishing the season hitting below the Mendoza Line. :rolling:

The Racehorse
03-13-2005, 08:56 AM
Canseco's memory in regards to Wenzlaff will easily come back if the House of Reps grants him immunity.

Also, as Roger Cossack pointed out last week, the focus is not necessarily the users but the suppliers of illegal steroids.

SOXSINCE'70
03-13-2005, 11:58 AM
We should be surprised why?

My thought exactly.True fans knew he was on the juice in '98
when an inquisitive reporter asked him (and former Colrado
Rockies outfielder Dante Bichette) about a small liquid vial that
sat on the top shelf of their lockers.McGwire admitted the substance
was Andro.He told the reporter that it helped him recover from
extensive workouts quicker.:o: :dunno:

IIRC,Bichette took a NOYB attitude towards any reporter
who asked him about Andro.

Ol' No. 2
03-13-2005, 11:59 AM
Another story (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cs-0503130191mar13,1,948468.story) in today's paper says that MLB is trying to get congress to "change the list of players being called to testify so players could avoid the embarrassment of answering direct questions about steroid use." Gee, I thought they were all clean. So here's my question: If MLB is trying to get specific players exempted from testifying, doesn't that imply that MLB knows something that they've been claiming all along that they didn't?:?:

PaleHoseGeorge
03-13-2005, 12:33 PM
We should be surprised why?

Surprised? Of course not. McGwire's physique is that of a ****ing ape compared to the scrawny kid in his Topps rookie card.

You're missing the point. The point is McGwire is DENYING he used steroids. The point is Tony LaRussa LIED that he never suspected McGwire of using steroids. The point is MLB (and specifically Bud Selig) has repeated the LIES that McGwire never used steroids.

The point is the LIES are finally being revealed.

And in a bigger sense, the point is this story (the steroids scandal) is picking up steam. It's not over. It's not even close to being over! The biggest star of the 90's is about to be torn down!

There were some very naive people posting here just last month suggesting Canseco was just selling books and this whole matter would fade by opening day. I tried warning them, but some were quite obstinate in their beliefs. How stupid do they look now?

The only thing surprising about any of this is just how naive some people think the latest news must be.
:kukoo:

SpammySosa
03-13-2005, 12:51 PM
The biggest star of the 90's is about to being torn down!

You mean the second biggest star(behind Big Frank). :wink:

Irishsox1
03-13-2005, 01:02 PM
The problem here is that in 1998 steroids were against the law, but not MLB rules. Mark McGuire was using steroids in 1998 and MLB knew he was and did nothing about it. Plus, the FBI has documentation linking McGuire to steroid dealers, plus the FBI contacted MLB and told them McGuire was buying steroids.

Another problem here is that MLB addressed the Pete Rose gambling because of the "integrity" of the game, yet when a player is using an illegal substance (against American laws), they looked the other way because homeruns were helping the game. This is bad news for MLB, the players union and the fans that actually believed in McGuire and Sosa, and Conseco, and Bonds, and Giambi....etc., etc., etc.

daveeym
03-13-2005, 01:39 PM
Bud, MLBPA and MLB's hubris is botching this entirely. The majority of fans knew these guys were on drugs and basically just want testing and the truth known. Baseball is baseball this getting out would have barely made a dent in attendance or the good of the game. They could have made a REAL testing program and worked behind the scenes with congress for immunity or to just make it go away. Instead they picked a fight with em and poo pooed the whole steroid issue. THAT's what's really going to turn fans off. Treating the fans like ignorant yokels and making a mockery of the game.

FightingBillini
03-13-2005, 02:27 PM
There were some very naive people posting here just last month suggesting Canseco was just selling books and this whole matter would fade by opening day.

Canseco IS just selling book. If you think he had some noble cause in writing his book you are dead wrong. Whether or not things he said are true, and much of it very well may be, he is not the least bit credible. Wait for this whole thing to pan about before you pass judgment. Canseco has already double talked and "remembered" things that weren't in the book. He also has changed his story a few times about McGwire. We will get the truth eventually, just not from Jose Canseco. As for this thing fading by opening day, I don't think its going to fade for a LONG time. It will be bigger than the Black Sox scandal. However, I don't think MLB will be debilitated like they were after that.

SoxEd
03-13-2005, 02:35 PM
The problem here is that in 1998 steroids were against the law, but not MLB rules.

Come on, I'm sure there is no SPECIFIC MLB rule aginst injecting heroin in to your eyeballs whilst on Third Base, or against firing a machine gun in to the crowd, or against running a child-brothel - it doesn't mean that any of these activities should be considered 'legal' within the game.

BTW I totally agree with what you say in the rest of your post, but I'm sick of hearing people say "there's no MLB rule against steroids".

PaleHoseGeorge
03-13-2005, 03:06 PM
Canseco IS just selling book. If you think he had some noble cause in writing his book you are dead wrong....

I never suggested Canseco had any noble cause. I merely noted that several people tried to poo-poo his allegations by stating this entire matter would be long forgotten by opening day. It was nonsense last month and it is even more nonsense today. The story is picking up steam!

Anybody still claiming this scandal is just about selling books is in even more denial than Bud Selig and the idiots running MLB.

:cool: