PDA

View Full Version : Pitcher for tonight

Moses_Scurry
10-31-2001, 07:26 AM
I don't know if this has been discussed already, but I think that Brenly is making a big mistake if he pitches Schilling tonight and Johnson in game 5. The D-Backs cannot afford a Schilling loss, and the chances of him winning with the full rest are much greater than the chances of him winning on 3 days rest.
I think they should take their chances with Batista. If he wins, then they only need one victory from either Schilling or Unit in games 5 and/or 6, a virtual lock. If they lose, then they'll have both guys on full strength giving them a good chance to win the series in 6.

But, what the heck do I know?!

Iwritecode
10-31-2001, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Moses_Scurry
I don't know if this has been discussed already, but I think that Brenly is making a big mistake if he pitches Schilling tonight and Johnson in game 5. The D-Backs cannot afford a Schilling loss, and the chances of him winning with the full rest are much greater than the chances of him winning on 3 days rest.
I think they should take their chances with Batista. If he wins, then they only need one victory from either Schilling or Unit in games 5 and/or 6, a virtual lock. If they lose, then they'll have both guys on full strength giving them a good chance to win the series in 6.

But, what the heck do I know?!

It's really a toss-up as to which would be better. Schilling at 90% or any other pitcher they could possibly put out there at 100%? Plus, this way if it goes to 7 games, Schilling can go in game 7 also. It's really risky and I don't really like it too much but I think it's the best option they have right now. If the DBacks can just give him some offensive support, they might be ok.

Paulwny
10-31-2001, 11:01 AM
Opinion of some writers:

WORLD SERIES PLUS

October 31, 2001

QUESTION OF THE DAY?

Curt Schilling will start Game 4 on three days' rest. Is manager Bob Brenly making the right decision?

KEN DAVIDOFF: Roger Clemens' Red Sox jumped out to a 2-0 lead against the Mets in the World Series 15 years ago. The Mets won Game 3, and in Game 4, Boston manager John McNamara opted to start Al Nipper rather than his Game 1 pitcher, Bruce Hurst, on three days' rest. The Mets beat Nipper easily, getting back into the series. Even though they lost Game 5 to Hurst, they won Games 6 and 7.

The lesson: The longer you let a team hang around, the more likely it'll come back and bite you. Bob Brenly should start Curt Schilling tonight regardless of last night's result. Schilling probably has played checkers games that were more stressful than his Game 1 start. He is far more likely to excel in this assignment than the Yankees are to excel against him.

JOE GERGEN: I once covered a doubleheader in which Stan Bahnsen started both games for the White Sox. Bahnsen, formerly employed by the Yankees, was deeply influenced by his pitching coach, Johnny Sain, who believed pitchers should run only when being chased but should throw every day.

It was uncommon but by no means startling in the era before pitch counts, million-dollar contracts and five-man rotations. Don Newcombe pitched a doubleheader in the heat of a pennant race for the Brooklyn Dodgers, and he was strictly a power pitcher. Still, these men were conditioned to pitch whenever they were called on. Once upon a time, three days' rest was sufficient for any pitcher who called himself a major-leaguer. Curt Schilling likes to think of himself as a throwback, and maybe he is. But there appears to be faint reason for manager Bob Brenly to hand him the ball tonight with the D-Backs leading the World Series. Why set him up for two starts at less than full strength when one more at his optimum level could provide Arizona with the knockout blow?

STEVE JACOBSON: I'd pitch Curt Schilling on three days' rest without hesitating if I needed to win Game 4. If you have a horse like that, you should ride him. And Bob Brenly won't hesitate, either. He took Schilling out of the opening game of the Series early to save him for just that reason. If the D-Backs had a 3-0 lead, then there would be no point in rushing things. He could have Schilling pitching on his normal four days, followed by Randy Johnson on his normal rest. They're a devastating pair. But the reality of the situation is that Brenly set up Schilling to pitch the first, fourth and seventh games.

Recall that some World Series pitchers have done that - Lew Burdette for the Braves, Mickey Lolich for the Tigers and Bob Gibson for the Cardinals among them. The way Schilling has been pitching, there's no reason for him not to join them. After all, President Bush made the best first pitch in years, and he did it on three days' rest.

JON HEYMAN: The Diamondbacks are where they want to be. No sense taking a risk. No sense doing something crazy. No sense starting Curt Schilling tonight. No sense panicking when you don't have to. The Diamondbacks have the advantage. So why gamble? And why gamble with Schilling's arm? They can employ a rested Schilling in Game 5, a rested Randy Johnson in Game 6 and no one would be surprised to see them put the Yankees to rest then. Schilling says he could pitch on three days' rest. But he hasn't done it in years. History says many pitchers have pitched effectively on three days' rest in the World Series, but that's ancient history. Since 1999, pitchers going on three days' rest in the postseason are 1-9 with a 7.93 ERA.

If Schilling bombs tonight in his first start in years on three days' rest, who'd have any faith he'd do better in his second start in a week on three days' rest in Game 7? If he starts and bombs tonight, the advantage goes to the Yankees.

FarWestChicago
10-31-2001, 11:14 AM
I would just like to point out it doesn't matter who starts for the D-Bucks if they play like they did last night. They could start Pedro's unknown, bigger, better brother and they will still lose.

duke of dorwood
10-31-2001, 11:42 AM
I dont think being conservative ever wins this time of year. Pitch him-let the team know you are in this to win, not tie.

:jerry

Thats what I always do.

jklm
10-31-2001, 04:08 PM
Schilling vs El Duque...

Tonight's game will decide the series winner...