PDA

View Full Version : If anyone cares; Cubs game is on WGN

WhiteSoxFan84
03-12-2005, 04:31 PM
They're going to the bottom of the 6th and the game is tied 2-2. I'm looking forward to hearing the broadcast more than watching the game. Len Kasper and Bob Brenley are doing the commentary (at least I heard Kasper, haven't heard Brenley yet in the 6th, might be on break).

To follow-up; broadcast sounds decent. Maybe because it's the first game they're broadcasting and their voices are new to my year, but Brenley & Kasper sound like a Fox Saturday afternoon duo. Not a lot of excitement at all. Kasper makes the PBP. Brenley adds some feedback. That's about it. Not as fun as Carey & Stone at all.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-12-2005, 04:53 PM
Classic Cubs;

Jose Macias leads the bottom of the 7th off with a triple.

Peter Bergeron (sp?) comes up next, he strikes out.

Henry Blanco follows him up. He gets the count to 3-0. Pitcher comes back and gets him to hit a pop fly in foul territory to the catcher.

Sammy Sosa's equal/replacement, Jerry Hairston, Jr. comes up and strikes out.

SomebodyToldMe
03-12-2005, 04:53 PM
Not as fun as Carey & Stone at all.

They were fun? I couldn't stand those two. At all. Well, it's basically anyone that has to do with the cubs.

santo=dorf
03-12-2005, 04:55 PM
I think these two guys suck. They must be afraid of losing their jobs or something.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-12-2005, 04:59 PM
They were fun? I couldn't stand those two. At all. Well, it's basically anyone that has to do with the cubs.

I loved listening to Carey and Stone. They just had chemistry and whether the Cubs were winning (:angry: ) or losing (:smile: ) I still enjoyed the games because of the two. They had the right mix of comedy and insight that made them a great duo. Just my opinion.

mdep524
03-12-2005, 04:59 PM
I think these two guys suck. They must be afraid of losing their jobs or something.
If that's the case, can you blame them? After what happened to Carray and Stone these new guys will probably do whatever it takes to be pure yes-men to keep their jobs. That's a recipe for bland commentators.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-12-2005, 05:01 PM

VERY well put. Kasper sounds like a tool. This is EXACTLY what the Cubs wanted. Brenley sounds like the John Madden of baseball commentators.

Kasper: "The pitch... it's a ball"
Brenley: "When a pitcher throws a ball, he's not throwing a strike. A ball usually is a bad pitch. He either is getting tired or he meant to throw a ball outside the strikezone. Because that's what a ball is, a pitch outside the strikeout."

WhiteSoxFan84
03-12-2005, 05:03 PM
LOOOOL, did anyone see Calvin Murray miss the fly ball and fall?? Bases loaded, kid from Angels hits a shot to CF, Murray gets under it, granted the sun is real bad, but the ball just misses hitting him in the head, it drops, he does as well, ball rolls to the wall, 3 runs score, hitter winds up at 3rd.

5-2 angels, make it 6-2 RBI single by some other kid (don't you love spring training so many "kids" lol).

mdep524
03-12-2005, 05:04 PM
VERY well put. Kasper sounds like a tool. This is EXACTLY what the Cubs wanted. Brenley sounds like the John Madden of baseball commentators.

Kasper: "The pitch... it's a ball"
Brenley: "When a pitcher throws a ball, he's not throwing a strike. A ball usually is a bad pitch. He either is getting tired or he meant to throw a ball outside the strikezone. Because that's what a ball is, a pitch outside the strikeout."

:carter
Hey, no matter how bad they are they've still got to be better than me!!

WhiteSoxFan84
03-12-2005, 05:06 PM
:carter
Hey, no matter how bad they are they've still got to be better than me!!

ooohhhhh....... very, very tough call....

Rocklive99
03-12-2005, 05:12 PM
Zzzzzz, already hearing the dead air when things go wrong (so we have something in common now), no chemistry at all, Kasper was much better with the Marlins and his partner there. As much stupid things as Santo says, him and Hughes being upgraded to TV would've probably been more enjoyable to the Flub fans

Unregistered
03-12-2005, 05:19 PM
Is the WGN the channel owned by palestinians?:smile: :smile: :smile: :supernana:Wow, just when I thought this thread couldn't possibly suck any more...

Stroker Ace
03-12-2005, 05:51 PM
Carey and Stone were fun? Any time I heard these two I envied the deaf.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-12-2005, 05:54 PM
Carey and Stone were fun? Any time I heard these two I envied the deaf.

You're also goin to tell me Hawk and DJ are better than Carey and Stone? You can be a homer all you want, but Stone/Carey were the best TV duo Chicago baseball has had since Hawk and Wimpy.

NUCatsFan
03-12-2005, 06:15 PM
Am I the only one who will refuse to use that LAA thing for the Angels?

SOXSINCE'70
03-12-2005, 06:24 PM

To me,they're still ANA until further notice.:D: :D:

Stroker Ace
03-12-2005, 06:25 PM

I do. How can a team possibly belong to two cities?

Brian26
03-12-2005, 06:32 PM
I loved listening to Carey and Stone. They just had chemistry and whether the Cubs were winning (:angry: ) or losing (:smile: ) I still enjoyed the games because of the two.

Agreed. I grew to respect Stone over the years, and maybe I'm one of the few people here, but I actually grew to like Chip towards the end of last year based on the way he stood up to the evil empire and the bs that was directed towards him. I've said it before regarding our announcers, and the same holds true for the WGN crew for the north side: Give me guys with personality and some balls anyday of the week before you give me the generic, run-of-the-mill, politically correct bozos like Gary Thorne and Len Kasper. I heard just a few minutes of the 'GN telecast today, and I can unequivocally say that Kasper won't be ruffling anyone's feathers this year...most likely because everyone will fall asleep listening to him. As for Brenly- I think he's been a tool ever since the 2000 season. Note to Bob: It's ok to bunt in a 1-run or 2-run game, even if the pitcher has a no-hitter going.

Brian26
03-12-2005, 06:34 PM
I do. How can a team possibly belong to two cities?

Well, in the literal sense, the Expos might be able to explain that one. :D:

In the figurative sense, the Minnesota American League franchise is named the Twins, and their secondary logo shows two ball players: one from Minneapolis and one from St. Paul. :D:

Banix12
03-12-2005, 07:18 PM
I didn't think Kasper was so bad, I thought he did tend toward the bland but I liked his play by play than the puns and the hoakum that you would get from Carey.

What I'll remember most about Carey was how bad some of his Homerun calls were. Remember when McGwire hit the Home run to break the record off Trachsel and Carey's homerun call was to scream "HE DID IT. HE DID IT. HE DID IT. HE DID IT. HE DID IT. HE DID IT, etc. etc." for a solid minute?

Kasper needs someone with a personality to work off of, Stone has a personality. Brenley is amazingly boring and his color commentary was lousy, he didn't even have much interesting to say on the players which he actually had experience coaching. Though he is better than joe carter or Randy Hundley

Unregistered
03-13-2005, 04:55 AM
Well, apparently Teddy Greenstein was a big fan of the broadcast.

Here's the hard hitting, completely unbiased article:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050312teddyonmedia,1,4594730.column?coll=cs-home-utility

Brian26
03-13-2005, 11:03 AM
Well, apparently Teddy Greenstein was a big fan of the broadcast.

Here's the hard hitting, completely unbiased article:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050312teddyonmedia,1,4594730.column?coll=cs-home-utility

I read that this morning also. What a complete and utter suck-up. I guess Teddy is a pretty easy guy to entertain....he was raving about Brenly's line about Nomar and Walker doing sit-ups in the outfield. I have a feeling an 8-year old could bust up Teddy with a couple of knock-knock jokes, too.

shoota
03-14-2005, 12:32 PM
I was listening to am 1000 last week, Mike and Mike I think, and they were speculating why Brenly is getting 750k a year to just be a broadcaster. They speculated that he's a safety net to take over as field manager if Baker fails again.