PDA

View Full Version : Willie playing Ozzie Ball?

Nellie_Fox
03-12-2005, 12:01 AM
An interesting story in the Times today about Willie's attitude toward baserunning, and how he recognizes the need for that attitude compared to last year. http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug11.html

Willie Harris is on board with Guillen's hard-nosed style and inflicted some pain on an old friend to prove it. Harris took out the Colorado Rockies' Aaron Miles on a play at second base last week, and Miles hasn't played since because of a sprained knee ligament. Miles, whom the Sox traded for Juan Uribe after the 2003 season, was Harris' roommate in spring training a few years ago.

"He was just standing there, man, and I swear I didn't have any intentions of hurting him,'' Harris said. "But I've got to go in there and try to break it up. People will talk about you if you don't. There were opportunities last year where we could have broke something up, and we didn't. People got ripped on it.''

BigEdWalsh
03-12-2005, 12:23 AM
An interesting story in the Times today about Willie's attitude toward baserunning, and how he recognizes the need for that attitude compared to last year. http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug11.html

[/size][/font]

"People will talk about you if you don't. There were opportunities last year where we could have broke something up, and we didn't. People got ripped on it.''

"People" like Carlos Lee, for example?

owensmouth
03-12-2005, 01:32 AM
Perhaps he's improving offensively, but twice Friday Willie failed to complete a double play. He was unable to make the transition, i.e. he caught the throw from Josh Fields, tagged the base, but took too long getting the ball out of his glove to throw out the batter. In both cases, the radio announcer stated it was Willie's fault.

Improved defense is a major portion of Ozzieball. Willie Harris is no improvement.

PaleHoseGeorge
03-12-2005, 07:58 AM
Believe me, if all it took to play Ozzieball was a lot of brave talk, I could easily out-platitude Willie Harris. Should I have the 25th man spot on the Chicago White Sox? Of course not.

There is no substitute for talent. Harris has marginal talent at best. He'll be damn lucky to stick with the Sox because better alternatives for filling the back up shortstop position ought to be available to KW in only a few weeks.

I really don't care how much Harris talks a good game...

Palehose13
03-12-2005, 10:23 AM
"But I've got to go in there and try to break it up. People will talk about you if you don't. There were opportunities last year where we could have broke something up, and we didn't. People got ripped on it.''

I dunno, from this quote it seems to me that Willie doesn't want to be talked about and ripped on.