PDA

View Full Version : Phil Rogers article on Casey Rogowski

Ol' No. 2
03-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Good read (other than the unexplainable digression into Barry Bonds). Linky (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-0503110211mar11,1,4780687.column?coll=cs-home-utility)

Here's an excerpt.
But the best moment of his high school career wasn't on the mat or even the football field, where he contributed to two state titles. The moment Rogowski still gets wide-eyed talking about came at Tiger Stadium.

During the Catholic League championship game his junior year, he made like Lou Whitaker or Kirk Gibson, pulling an upper-deck home run into the blue seats in right field.That's right folks. A HS junior pulling a ball into the upper tank at old Tiger Stadium.:o:

Randar68
03-11-2005, 04:17 PM
Good read (other than the unexplainable digression into Barry Bonds). Linky (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-0503110211mar11,1,4780687.column?coll=cs-home-utility)

Here's an excerpt.
That's right folks. A HS junior pulling a ball into the upper tank at old Tiger Stadium.:o:

With a metal bat, mind you...

Ol' No. 2
03-11-2005, 04:21 PM
With a metal bat, mind you...OK, but still...

rdivaldi
03-11-2005, 04:23 PM
Casey needs to get the bat off of his shoulders if he wants anymore of those moon shots in the big leagues. I know that he's got a good eye, but he's being entirely too selective this spring. Way too many strikeouts.

Randar68
03-11-2005, 04:25 PM
Casey needs to get the bat off of his shoulders if he wants anymore of those moon shots in the big leagues. I know that he's got a good eye, but he's being entirely too selective this spring. Way too many strikeouts.

He's not had a single AB at AA yet. At least he's seeing pitches... I've seen him with a few really ugly swings too, FWIW...

rdivaldi
03-11-2005, 04:28 PM
He's not had a single AB at AA yet. At least he's seeing pitches... I've seen him with a few really ugly swings too, FWIW...

Very true Randar. Actually most of the ugly swings have come on offspeed pitches. Hoffman made him look silly, not all that uncommon though with that deadly changeup. I'd just like for him to get a bit more aggressive at this time of the year.

Ol' No. 2
03-11-2005, 04:33 PM
Very true Randar. Actually most of the ugly swings have come on offspeed pitches. Hoffman made him look silly, not all that uncommon though with that deadly changeup. I'd just like for him to get a bit more aggressive at this time of the year.In Rogers' article Rogowski was quoted as saying he wanted to make the team out of ST. Nice to have a goal, but could he be trying too hard and becoming timid as a result?

rdivaldi
03-11-2005, 04:36 PM
In Rogers' article Rogowski was quoted as saying he wanted to make the team out of ST. Nice to have a goal, but could he be trying too hard and becoming timid as a result?

Nah, Casey has always been a patient hitter. Like Randar said he's never faced this level of competition before (except for the AFL) so there are a lot more strikes being thrown/called.

Stroker Ace
03-11-2005, 07:53 PM

Here's an excerpt.
That's right folks. A HS junior pulling a ball into the upper tank at old Tiger Stadium.:o:

WOW:thud: