PDA

View Full Version : Random Observations from 3/10

Knucksie
03-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Great to have a chance to see some ST games and get a look at the team. I can't make it to ST this year as planned, but I did take a 1/2 off yesterday to watch the game. Here are a few observations of mine...

1) B-Mac is the real thing and he's ready to come north! B-Mac is not the mental midget like many of our recent pitching prospects and he is ready to handle The Show. I feel he will accomplish nothing down on the farm this year. He could be "the" unknown commodity that makes for a special season. He's 24 and has thrown plenty of innings in the minors. His arm and his mind are ready. Only question would be if he needs another pitch in his arsenal. If he does come north, he has to be in the regular rotation soon.

2) Crede's swing looked better yesterday. Shortening the leg kick helps. Still not awesome, but looks like he could be moving in a positive direction.

3) Guch is pretty smooth at 2nd base. He looks a bit uncomfortable at the plate and pulls off of pitches, yet, he handles the bat well, knows the game and is a major upgrade, IMHO. He took a lot of pitches, put the ball inplay and advanced the runners when he needed too. He made a nice play in the field sliding to his right and easily threw out the runner. Hawk and DJ were right when they compared that play to a YOUNG Robbie Alomar.

4) Josh Fields is far from being ready to help this year.

5) I love seeing all the left handed bats available to start or come off the bench. I believe this could be a major factor for the SOX this year. LH hitting has been a weakness in the line up for some time. The line up is very different from recent years (as promissed by KW and OZ).

6) Back up middle INF... I was not impressed at all by Ozuna. He looks to be a bit slow for the big leagues. Valdez looks more ready for a bench role (if it's not Harris).

7) The SOX D-Fence looks solid. Much better than in recent years. We all know what Crede, Rowand, Dye and Konerko bring to the field. Uribe is vastly improved over Valentin, Iguchi is excellent as I stated, Pierzinski is adequate behind the plate and Pods will be better than Lee with much more ground covered.

8) The SOX are loaded with contact hitters and will put the ball in play a lot more this year. I also think this team will fare much better against the the off speed, junk ballers and unknown pitchers than they have in the past. This has been a major frustration for me watching the SOX for several years. How many times have we seen the unknown spot starter with an ERA over 5.00 shut down the Sox? I think those days are numbered.

9) Great to hear Hawk and DJ (I'm not so opposed to DJ as many are). They had a couple of good exchanges. One being talking about the game in Japan. When DJ stated how hard the Japanese players works and they sometimes work too hard and get stale, Hawk's comment was "Whaaaahhh, whaaaaahh":whiner: Then DJ continued by giving an example of a player he played with that was struggling and was taking "100's of ground balls" before each game, Hawk's only comment was "Huh!":?: Best Hawk line of the day: "I Loooove hamburgers in the morning!"

mikehuff
03-11-2005, 11:03 AM
Awesome, thanks for the post. One thing that I hope has ended is the dominace of opposing rookie pitchers. That's what made me pretty much hate this team over the last 4 years.

My favorite Hawk line is "I looooove triple split screen"

Ol' No. 2
03-11-2005, 11:07 AM
Awesome, thanks for the post. One thing that I hope has ended is the dominace of opposing rookie pitchers. That's what made me pretty much hate this team over the last 4 years.Amen to that. I don't know why other teams didn't just bring up all their minor league pitchers when the Sox came to town.:angry:

HebrewHammer
03-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Nice observations, I agree 100%.

I was also impressed by Shingo. If my memory serves, he was hit last spring, this spring he seems much more at ease and it showed in his performance. The frisbee is already in midseason form.

rdivaldi
03-11-2005, 11:59 AM
1) B-Mac is the real thing and he's ready to come north! B-Mac is not the mental midget like many of our recent pitching prospects and he is ready to handle The Show. I feel he will accomplish nothing down on the farm this year. He could be "the" unknown commodity that makes for a special season. He's 24 and has thrown plenty of innings in the minors. His arm and his mind are ready. Only question would be if he needs another pitch in his arsenal. If he does come north, he has to be in the regular rotation soon.

Just a quick correction. McCarthy is actually 21 years old.

Knucksie
03-11-2005, 12:03 PM
Nice observations, I agree 100%.

I was also impressed by Shingo. If my memory serves, he was hit last spring, this spring he seems much more at ease and it showed in his performance. The frisbee is already in midseason form.

Yes, Shingo looks much more comfortable than he did a year ago. I also was pleased with Hermannson and Vizcaino. Hermanson looks like a guy that wants the ball and will battle hitters. Vizcaino has good stuff. Cotts, same ole same ole. Good stuff, no command. He's frustrating to watch, no, make that painful to watch. IMO, Cotts will make the roster for two reasons. 1) He's a lefty and 2) Every team needs an expendable arm in the pen to use in a mop up role.

Knucksie
03-11-2005, 12:04 PM
Just a quick correction. McCarthy is actually 21 years old.

My bad. I thought they said he was 24 during the telecast. Whatever is chronological age is, he carries himself well and is a stable, mature guy.

rdivaldi
03-11-2005, 12:08 PM
My bad. I thought they said he was 24 during the telecast. Whatever is chronological age is, he carries himself well and is a stable, mature guy.

Yeah, Hawk kept messing his age up, no big deal. Brandon does carry himself very well though. Pretty impressive considering that this is his first major league camp and how young he is...

Ol' No. 2
03-11-2005, 12:09 PM
Just a quick correction. McCarthy is actually 21 years old.And he's only pitched 4 games at AA level. He looks great, but let's not get crazy. There's plenty he can accomplish in the minors this year. I'm sure they don't want to bounce him up and down, so it's better to wait until he's ready to stick.

Ideally, all the starters remain healthy and effective all year and McCarthy gets a whole year in the minors to develop. But realistically, an opening in the rotation is likely some time during the season. By the time McCarthy gets another 10-12 starts in AA, he might be ready to fill that spot.

voodoochile
03-11-2005, 12:13 PM
And he's only pitched 4 games at AA level. He looks great, but let's not get crazy. There's plenty he can accomplish in the minors this year. I'm sure they don't want to bounce him up and down, so it's better to wait until he's ready to stick.

Ideally, all the starters remain healthy and effective all year and McCarthy gets a whole year in the minors to develop. But realistically, an opening in the rotation is likely some time during the season. By the time McCarthy gets another 10-12 starts in AA, he might be ready to fill that spot.

I completely agree. No more rushing prospects. Isn't that why they signed 5 veteran starters in the first place?

If someone falters and BMac has a huge break out first half in AA and AAA ball, they can give him a crack later in the year, but ONLY if he is ready and there is pressing need. Otherwise they should use Hermanson or one of the guys who has done it before.

Foulke You
03-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Yes, Shingo looks much more comfortable than he did a year ago. I also was pleased with Hermannson and Vizcaino. Hermanson looks like a guy that wants the ball and will battle hitters. Vizcaino has good stuff. Cotts, same ole same ole. Good stuff, no command. He's frustrating to watch, no, make that painful to watch. IMO, Cotts will make the roster for two reasons. 1) He's a lefty and 2) Every team needs an expendable arm in the pen to use in a mop up role.

Couldn't agree more about Cotts. This guy should not break camp with the club. He didn't show me much last year coming out of the pen, he should spend some time in Charlotte to work on his control but he will likely break camp with the Sox because he is left handed and because Ozzie is high on him. I think Kevin Walker would be a better option for a 2nd lefty out of the pen (after Marte). Walker doesn't dazzle out there but from what I've seen, he has better control and has some MLB experience as well.

DaleJRFan
03-11-2005, 01:22 PM

from MLB.com...

Zeros for Cotts: Left-hander Neal Cotts threw a scoreless fifth inning against the Rangers, although he had to work around a walk and a hit batter. Cotts has not allowed a run in three straight appearances, covering four innings against the Giants, Diamondbacks and Rangers.

Cotts, who had a 5.56 ERA in 55 relief appearances and one start last season, gave up his only run so far March 2 in the Cactus League opener against the Rockies.

Cotts has a lot to prove this year. Hopefully all of us "Cotts is underwhelming" naysayers will be eating crow this season.

DaleJRFan
03-11-2005, 01:25 PM
Yeah, Hawk kept messing his age up, no big deal. Brandon does carry himself very well though. Pretty impressive considering that this is his first major league camp and how young he is...

What really scares me about BMac is that in an interview after the game, he said that he didnt have his best stuff out there, was rushing the count and felt like he was throwing instead of pitching. Wow.

SoxFan76
03-11-2005, 05:58 PM
from MLB.com...

Cotts has a lot to prove this year. Hopefully all of us "Cotts is underwhelming" naysayers will be eating crow this season.

Call me crazy, but I'd like if the Sox picked up a cheap lefty reliever so Cotts can start in AAA. He seems to be so wasted doing cleanup work in the majors.

PAPChiSox729
03-11-2005, 06:21 PM
from MLB.com...

I hadn't realized that. That is good news. Its nice that Cotts will be under less pressure then last year. He's got the stuff, he just needs to adjust to the majors. If he puts together a solid year, then this bullpen will be very, very deep.

Stroker Ace
03-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Good observations

PAPChiSox729
03-11-2005, 11:20 PM
Call me crazy, but I'd like if the Sox picked up a cheap lefty reliever so Cotts can start in AAA. He seems to be so wasted doing cleanup work in the majors.

I see your point. And it would make sense since the organization would like to see Neal start. But, I just have a feeling that with our 5 man rotation set, and McCarthy and Tracey not far behind, Cotts' place may ultimately back in the pen setting up. I would like to see Cotts in the minors so we have a 6th starter, but with our bullpen also pretty much set in stone, I don't see that happening.