PDA

View Full Version : Tribune article on Josh Fields

ChiSox14305635
03-10-2005, 11:58 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050310sox,1,4050862.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

I think even if Crede has a breakout season, he'll still be gone from the team by next year if for no other reason than the fact he's still a Boras client.

MUsoxfan
03-11-2005, 12:37 AM
Even Boras might not see astronomical value in Crede. Although, a season of these doubles he's been hitting down the line wouldn't be that bad

Fredsox
03-11-2005, 06:26 AM
Even Boras might not see astronomical value in Crede. Although, a season of these doubles he's been hitting down the line wouldn't be that bad

Yeah, Boras will end up asking 7 years $105 million for him and some fool owner like Hicks of the Rangers would pay it.

Clembasbal
03-11-2005, 06:38 AM
That's a good story. I love reading about prospects, especially when they mention about four or five of them and talk about the future of the Sox.

Heck, I want to win right now...but if for some reason this season falls through I think rebuilding is in our cards. And that isn't going to look to bad with what we got in the minors - we just need pitching prospects (other than B-Mac).

SoxFanTillDeath
03-11-2005, 08:50 AM
We've actually got some real quality minor league pitching...it's infield talent that we are short on. The sox are quite strong in pitching, especially from the left side of the rubber. They've drafted some quality pitchers in the past few years.

I believe the names to look for in the next few years are McCarthy, Honel, Gonzalez, Diaz, Munoz, Jenks, Tracey, (you know Cotts and Adkins and probably know Bajenaru), Meaux, Liotta, and I'm sure I'm missing a few here. Someone like Randar could give you a much better list, but off the top of my head those are all the names I could come up with, and all of those have a chance to make it to the majors, most of them have a chance to be pretty good.

Brian26
03-11-2005, 11:39 AM
Yeah, Boras will end up asking 7 years $105 million for him and some fool owner like Hicks of the Rangers would pay it.

With Blalock already down there? :D: Maybe not Hicks, but someone else...

Brian26
03-11-2005, 11:42 AM
That's a good story. I love reading about prospects, especially when they mention about four or five of them and talk about the future of the Sox.

Yeah- it reminded me of some of the sentiment people in the franchise had around early '89 after Ventura was drafted. One of our high school coaches worked for the Sox during the summer months in their rookie league...he'd always go around talking about the thirdbase situation and that we didn't have anything to fear since Ventura would be up around '90. This is when Eddie Williams and Kenny Williams and even Carlos Martinez were playing thirdbase for the big club.

DaleJRFan
03-11-2005, 12:18 PM
We've actually got some real quality minor league pitching...it's infield talent that we are short on. The sox are quite strong in pitching, especially from the left side of the rubber. They've drafted some quality pitchers in the past few years.

I believe the names to look for in the next few years are McCarthy, Honel, Gonzalez, Diaz, Munoz, Jenks, Tracey, (you know Cotts and Adkins and probably know Bajenaru), Meaux, Liotta, and I'm sure I'm missing a few here. Someone like Randar could give you a much better list, but off the top of my head those are all the names I could come up with, and all of those have a chance to make it to the majors, most of them have a chance to be pretty good.

Diaz and Munoz don't count.

Randar68
03-11-2005, 12:28 PM

They have some real quality arms in the minors right now. Because of all the dealing they've been doing the last couple years, it resided primarily in the lower levels last year. This year, a lot of those guys will be in AA or AAA.

Tyler Lumsden has a million dollar arm, but he had a dead-arm period last year and had bone-chips removed from his elbow and will be eased back into the Winston-Salem (likely) rotation by mid-year, in all likelihood...

Corwin Malone has a great arm if he can get healthy (hopefully he isn't totally Barcelo'd) Jenks has a fantastic arm, and hopefully he has a bit more maturity, but we'll see.

Last year's draft was superb in terms of restocking the LH'd pitching in the Sox system.

Brian26
03-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Corwin Malone has a great arm if he can get healthy (hopefully he isn't totally Barcelo'd) Jenks has a fantastic arm, and hopefully he has a bit more maturity, but we'll see.

Seems like Malone's stock has dropped off the planet. He's not even listed in the Top Ten Sox prospects in many publications.

Here's who Street and Smith lists as the Sox Top 10 prospects:
1. Sweeney
2. Anderson
3. B-Mac
4. Fields
5. Chris Young?
6. Honel
7. Robert Valido
8. Gio G.
9. Lumsden
10. Munoz

Who's this Chris Young kid? Says he's an outfielder.

ChiSox14305635
03-13-2005, 01:41 AM
Seems like Malone's stock has dropped off the planet. He's not even listed in the Top Ten Sox prospects in many publications.

1. Sweeney
2. Anderson
3. B-Mac
4. Fields
5. Chris Young?
6. Honel
7. Robert Valido
8. Gio G.
9. Lumsden
10. Munoz

Please don't quote me on this, but I thought I saw on some website comparing him to a poor man's Vernon Wells. If that's the case, works for me.

hose
03-13-2005, 07:10 AM
Even when his arm was sound Malone walked to many batters.

Randar68
03-13-2005, 10:45 AM

1. Sweeney
2. Anderson
3. B-Mac
4. Fields
5. Chris Young?
6. Honel
7. Robert Valido
8. Gio G.
9. Lumsden
10. Munoz

Isn't this a topic for the minor league board? If you ever went over there you'd know who Chris Young is. Might be the highest ceiling OF prospect the Sox have. Not as "sure-thing" as Anderson or Sweeney for certain, but he has 30-30 ability. Strikes out a too much (lead the Sox minor leagues in K'
s) but walks a lot too. Drafted as a fast/toolsy/skinny OF'er from Texas HS, he's still filling out, but the ball just explodes off his bat. One of those guys you see in the minors that when he makes contact, it sounds different than everyone else taking BP. Also, he's a real fun-loving kid, really easy-going, the kind of guy everyone on a team gavitates towards and who you can't help but love... plays the game the right way. Should be the opening day CF'er at Winston-Salem.

His arm has been his biggest weakness, but it is something he's put a lot of work and dedication into improving, knows it is his weakness in the field...

He was borderline top 10 last year, kind of a "watch-list" type prospect.

I'm real high on Valido, think he's a better long-term prospect than Lopez and Gonzalez.

Malone hasn't been on any lists the last 2 years because he's been hurt. Was a fast-rising kid with an electric left arm. Control was his biggest weakness but he had shown improvement before suffering a string of set-backs. Just the type of kid you keep an eye on to see if he can ever get healthy and regain the form...

WhiteSoxFan84
03-13-2005, 02:29 PM

:borass:
"Hah..ha...7 years, $105 million? What am I selling, used cars? Come on now, be fair. My client and I will not settle for anything less than 10 years, $120 million."

:crede
"You don't think I'm worth it? Have you seen how I handle those tough hops?"