PDA

View Full Version : Ranking all 30 MLB teams...

WhiteSoxFan84
03-10-2005, 10:59 PM
If you have a lot of time on your hands and/or are bored like I am right now, you can do what I did; rank all 30 teams in order from 1-30.

Here's my list...

1) New York Yankees
2) Boston Red Sox
3) St. Louis Cardinals
4) Florida Marlins
5) Atlanta Braves
6) Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
7) San Francisco Giants
8) Chicago Cubs
9) Los Angeles Dodgers
10) Chicago White Sox

11) Minnesota Twins
12) San Diego Padres
13) Philadelphia Phillies
14) Cleveland Indians
15) Arizona Diamondbacks
16) Houston Astros
17) Texas Rangers
18) New York Mets
19) Oakland A's
20) Seattle Mariners

21) Cincinnati Reds
22) Baltimore Orioles
23) Toronto Blue Jays
24) Detroit Tigers
25) Milwaukee Brewers
26) Colorado Rockies
27) Tampa Bay Devil Rays
28) Washington Nationals
29) Pittsburgh Pirates
30) Kansas City Royals

Maybe a lil bias for the ChiSox but I think, on paper, that's about where they are if not higher. If you're going to disagree with me, don't sit there and insult me. Instead, give me your list.

MUsoxfan
03-11-2005, 12:33 AM
1) Boston Red Sox
2) New York Yankees
3) Atlanta Braves
4) St. Louis Cardinals
5) Anaheim Angels
6) S.F. Giants
7) Florida Marlins
8) NY Mets
9) San Diego Padres
10) Chicago White Sox

11) Minnesota Twins
12) Philadelphia Phillies
13) Chicago Cubs
14) Cleveland Indians
15) L.A. Dodgers
16) Texas Rangers
17) Arizona Diamondbacks
18) Oakland A's
19) Milwaukee Brewers
20) Seattle Mariners

21) Cincinnati Reds
22) Houston Astros
23) Toronto Blue Jays
24) Pittsburgh Pirates
25) Washintgon Nationals
26) Detroit Tigers
27) Baltimore Orioles
28) Colorado Rockies
29) Tampa Bay Devil Rays
30) Kansas City Royals

T-Bone
03-11-2005, 06:17 AM
1) New York Yankees
2) Boston Red Sox
3) St. Louis Cardinals
4) S.F. Giants
5) Florida Marlins
6) Anaheim Angels
7) Minnesota Twins
8) Atlanta Braves
9) L.A. Dodgers
10) San Diego Padres

11) Chicago White Sox
12) Philadelphia Phillies
13) Chicago Cubs
14) Texas Rangers
15) Cleveland Indians
16) NY Mets
17) Houston Astros
18) Oakland A's
19) Seattle Mariners
20) Cincinnati Reds

21) Detroit Tigers
22) Balitmore Orioles
23) Milwaukee Brewers
24) Arizona Diamondbacks
25) Tampa Bay Devil Rays
26) Washintgon Nationals
27) Pittsburgh Pirates
28) Toronto Blue Jays
29) Colorado Rockies
30) Kansas City Royals

baseball_fanatic
03-11-2005, 08:24 AM
1. Yankees- Randy Johnson makes the Best Team Money Can Buy the best around right now.
2. Red Sox- World Series champs lost Pedro, but add Clement, Wells, and Renteria. Seem poised for another run.
3. Cardinals- Losses up the middle will hurt, but Mulder is an ace if healthy.
4. Angels- Guerrero, Finley, and Anderson could be the best outfield in the majors.
5.Cubs- Best pitching in the majors makes the Cubs a formidable foe.
6.Braves- The return of Smoltz to the rotation and the addition of Hudson keep the Braves atop the NL East.
7. Marlins- Delgado gives them the power bat they've been missing.
8.Twins- Young talent keeps coming up the pipeline.
9.Phillies- Bowa is gone. This team is still loaded.
10.Giants- If the Geritol Gang can stay healthy, the Giants are the best out West.
11.Rangers- Young team is still poised for a run.
12.Dodgers- Kent adds to the offense, but the loss of Beltre will hurt.
13.Indians- Exciting team which could surprise in '05.
14.Padres- Woody Williams hopes to take Wells's place in the rotation.
15.A's- The loss of Mulder and Hudson is likely too much to keep the A's a top team in 2005. They'll be back at the top next season, though.
16.White Sox- Lee for Posednik was not a good deal. They will miss the power in that park.
17.Mets- Mets made the most noise this offseason, but in the end it will be all "sound and fury signifying nothing."
18.Reds- If they can stay healthy, they will surprise people. Need to trade an outfielder for pitching help to contend all season.
19.Baltimore- Sosa will add to a potent offense, but can anyone pitch?
20.Astros- Lots of questions abound on the team that likely had the worst offseason.
21.Mariners- Made some nice acquistions, but they may not show in the win collumn.
22.Toronto- Trying to turn it around is difficult in the AL East. They will miss Delgado.
23.Brewers- They have a lot of young talent, but still a year or two away from making serious noise.
24.Pirates- Bay and Perez give them two nice pieces to build around.
25. Tigers- This team is waiting for an injury.
26.Diamondbacks- While trying to turn it around, they may have signed a collection of the offseason's worst contracts. Vasquez will be gone my August.
27.Nationals- Not a serious contender, for awhile.
28.Rockies- Helton and the diaper gang will struggle out West. Matt Holliday will be a hitter.
29.Devil Rays- They signed Alomar and Gonzalez. Five years too late on the former, there was never a good time for the latter.
30.Royals- Worst team in the worst division. Not a good sign.

veeter
03-11-2005, 08:32 AM
I'll tell you guys right now you are ranking the Red Sox WAY too high. Their pitching staff is going to be bad. Bad because of injuries. Clement is their go to guy right now. They are in huge trouble. Yankees win that division by 10 games easy.

Fredsox
03-11-2005, 08:56 AM
Let's not be so quick to anoint the Yankees. Those guys are OLD, like as old as me and I was born during the Eisenhower administration. They need to stay healthy AND play to their potential. Very hard to do over 162 games. I still think the BoSox are the team to beat in the East, the Twinkies in the AL Central*, and the Angels in the West.

* They're the champs, that's why I put them ahead of the ChiSox.

SoxFan76
03-11-2005, 09:39 AM
Geez, a lot of love for the 3rd place Cubs who did nothing to improve this offseason.

doublem23
03-11-2005, 10:17 AM
Braves
Angels
Yankees
Marlins
Red Sox
Cardinals
Mets
Giants
Rangers
Padres
Cubs
White Sox
Astros
Twins
Phillies
A's
Dodgers
Indians
Orioles
Mariners
Reds
Tigers
Devil Rays
Brewers
Pirates
Diamondbacks
Nationals
Blue Jays
Rockies
Royals

mikehuff
03-11-2005, 10:22 AM
Here is what CBSsportsline.com has...

Mod edit: Please don't copy and paste large sections of articles, as it infringes on copyright laws.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/powerrankings

Dan H
03-11-2005, 11:29 AM
The Cubs are always dead last in my book. The White Sox will have to show me a lot before I truly get optimistic.

soltrain21
03-11-2005, 11:31 AM
16.White Sox- Lee for Posednik was not a good deal. They will miss the power in that park.

I expect it out of the media, but out of a White Sox fan?! It wasn't Lee for Pods straight up, and think of the moves we made after that.

FightingBillini
03-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Geez, a lot of love for the 3rd place Cubs who did nothing
to improve this offseason.
Well, there are a lot of people who believe what the media tells them. There is a :dtroll:in this thread that claimed the Cubs have the best pitching staff in the majors. While they MAY have one of the top five ROTATIONS in baseball (still not even the best in their division), the pitching staff includes bullpen, and the Cubs' bullpen is humorously bad. Plus, they will have one of the worst outfields in major league history. But hey, as long as Nomar his .440 and Wood(s) and Prior each pitch 300 innings, they will be a lock for second place.

FightingBillini
03-11-2005, 11:37 AM
I expect it out of the media, but out of a White Sox fan?! It wasn't Lee for Pods straight up, and think of the moves we made after that.

I dont think he is a White Sox fan. Me smells a troll.

veeter
03-11-2005, 11:52 AM
I dont think he is a White Sox fan. Me smells a troll. I can smell a Cub fan.

WhiteSoxFan84
03-11-2005, 11:57 AM
I dont think he is a White Sox fan. Me smells a troll.

I concur :D:

Brian26
03-11-2005, 11:57 AM
The Cubs are always dead last in my book. The White Sox will have to show me a lot before I truly get optimistic.

The Cubs are going to be a trainwreck this year- and you heard it here first. They won't finish above .500, mark it down.

Stroker Ace
03-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Braves
Angels
Yankees
Marlins
Red Sox
Cardinals
Mets
Giants
Rangers
Padres
Cubs
White Sox
Astros
Twins
Phillies
A's
Dodgers
Indians
Orioles
Mariners
Reds
Tigers
Devil Rays
Brewers
Pirates
Diamondbacks
Nationals
Blue Jays
Rockies
Royals

Mets 7th? Keep in mind that they have absolutely NO BULLPEN

MeanFish
03-11-2005, 12:35 PM
Instead of doing a 1-30 list, I'm going to rank teams by tier and within that tier by likelihood of success (except in tier 4)

Tier 1: Virtual Locks for the Playoffs
St. Louis Cardinals
New York Yankees
Somewhere in California Angels

Tier 2: Very good chance at playoffs, but it's gonna be close
Minnesota Twins
Atlanta Braves
San Diego Padres
Boston Red Sox
Los Angeles Dodgers
Florida Marlins
Houston Astros
San Francisco Giants
Texas Rangers

Tier 3: Good enough to make it if just a couple things click the right way.
Chicago White Sox
New York Mets
Cleveland Indians
Chicago Cubs
Philadelphia Phillies
Detroit Tigers
Baltimore Orioles

Tier 4: The Rest
Toronto Blue Jays
Tampa Bay Devil Rays
Kansas City Royals
Oakland A's
Seattle Mariners
Washington Nationals
Cincinnati Reds
Pittsburgh Pirates
Milwaukee Brewers
Arizona Diamondbacks
Colorado Rockies

MUsoxfan
03-11-2005, 12:36 PM
I'll tell you guys right now you are ranking the Red Sox WAY too high. Their pitching staff is going to be bad. Bad because of injuries. Clement is their go to guy right now. They are in huge trouble. Yankees win that division by 10 games easy.

The fact remains that they're World Champs. Until someone takes them down, they should still remain #1

MeanFish
03-11-2005, 12:39 PM
The fact remains that they're World Champs. Until someone takes them down, they should still remain #1

That rule hasn't applied to the previous two wildcard teams to win the series, so why should the Red Sox get special treatment?

MUsoxfan
03-11-2005, 12:41 PM
That rule hasn't applied to the previous two wildcard teams to win the series, so why should the Red Sox get special treatment?

They're not getting special treatment. I just think you have to give respect to the World Series champs as the team to beat, regardless of what they did or didn't do during the offseason. I will rank the previous year's World Champ #1 going into the next year 10/10 times

MeanFish
03-11-2005, 12:43 PM
They're not getting special treatment. I just think you have to give respect to the World Series champs as the team to beat, regardless of what they did or didn't do during the offseason. I will rank the previous year's World Champ #1 going into the next year 10/10 times

That's cool then :)

SOXSINCE'70
03-11-2005, 02:00 PM
25. Tigers- This team is waiting for an injury.

Everyone has an opinion.Here's mine;

1.Wait before judging the Podsednik deal.He is the one thing the Sox have lacked for a while (a leadoff hitter that gets on base,is a likely candidate to steal bags and score runs).The Sox will miss Lee's power,but they still have Konerko,Rowand,Dye,Everett,Crede and possibly Pierzynski who can go yard
20 or more times this year.Pierzynski might have a career year the way the winds blow at Sox Park. Juan Uribe also fits in this category.The Lee for Podsednik/Vizcaino deal may benefit the Sox more than any of us know.Hold off on a judgement for now.

2.Injury,thy name is GAGGLIO!!!!!!!!!!!:angry: :angry: :angry:

hdog1017
03-11-2005, 02:21 PM
Knock the cubs down a few spots. The Golden boy of 14 wins max is going down again. Plus I'm counting on Glendon Rusch to play to his potential, i.e. 1-10 with a 6+ ERA. I'm counting on a back to back 3rd place finish for the boys at the Crumbling Confines. As for the Good Guys, it all depends on the speed & defense theory. If Scotty Po regains 2003 form, I think we'll be going to the postseason.

wdelaney72
03-11-2005, 02:21 PM
Mets 7th? Keep in mind that they have absolutely NO BULLPEN

Same to be said for Cleveland. Their bullpen was HORRIBLE last year, and has not been upgraded. I'm tired of the Indians love fest. They've proven nothing. The AL Central is the Twins to lose. They are and should be the favorite. I just hope it's our guys that finally knock them down.

fusillirob1983
03-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Yeah, they really don't think much of the Astros (20th).

PAPChiSox729
03-11-2005, 03:45 PM
1. Boston Red Sox
2. New York Yankees
3. St. Louis Cardinals
4. Atlanta Braves
5. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
6. San Francisco Giants
7. Florida Marlins
8. Chicago White Sox
9. Minnesota Twins
10. San Diego Padres
11. Chicago Cubs
12. Texas Rangers
13. Seattle Mariners
14. Philadelphia Phillies
15. Houston Astros
16. Oakland Athletics
17. Cleveland Indians
18. Arizona Diamondbacks
19. New York Mets
20. Baltimore Orioles
21. Milwaukee Brewers
22. Cincinnati Reds
23. Toronto Blue Jays
24. Washington Nationals
25. Detroit Tigers
26. Los Angeles Dodgers
27. Tampa Bay Devil Rays
28. Pittsburgh Pirates
29. Colorado Rockies
30. Kansas City Royals

wdelaney72
03-11-2005, 03:45 PM

Without Beltran or Jeff Kent, I don't either.

zach074
03-11-2005, 04:21 PM
5.Cubs- Best pitching in the majors makes the Cubs a formidable foe.

What kind of benefits do you get at the Trib?

SoxEd
03-11-2005, 04:48 PM
Sportsline rates Cleveland over the Sox?

Is this just standard media BS, or am I missing something?

Anyone on here agree with them??

PAPChiSox729
03-11-2005, 05:09 PM
Sportsline rates Cleveland over the Sox?

Is this just standard media BS, or am I missing something?

Anyone on here agree with them??

I am really not surprised. A lot of experts, magazines, etc. rank the Indians above our beloved Sox. In fact, the Tigers are getting a little too much love also. We'll show them though!

A. Cavatica
03-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Where does Team Boras rank?

FightingBillini
03-11-2005, 08:15 PM

OK, the Astros have the best pitching staff in all of baseball. How is it that the media (and people on this board) think they will suck because they lost a lot of offense? Meanwhile, the Cubs, who's rotation isnt as good as Houston's, and who's bullpen is among the worst in baseball, lost much of their offense and are picked to win the NL?

MRKARNO
03-11-2005, 08:23 PM
Where does Team Boras rank?

30th out of 31, right ahead of the Royals.

fusillirob1983
03-11-2005, 08:24 PM
Exactly. I figured it would have to take a Cub fan to overlook the fact that the Astros should be equal to or greater than the Cubs this season, yet rank Houston 20th and the Cubs 5th.

popilius
03-12-2005, 01:45 AM
The Cubs are going to be a trainwreck this year- and you heard it here first. They won't finish above .500, mark it down.

I agree. Their pitchers will submit to injuries once again. Kerry Wood and Mark Prior will be injury-plagued for the rest of their careers, there's no other way to say it.

:gulp:

Banix12
03-12-2005, 03:43 AM
1. New York Yankees
2. St. Louis Cardinals
3. Florida Marlins
4. Boston Red Sox
5. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim
6. Atlanta Braves
7. New York Mets
8. Chicago White Sox
9. San Diego Padres
10. Chicago Cubs
11. Cleveland Indians
12. Texas Rangers
13. San Francisco Giants
14. Minnesota Twins
15. Los Angeles Dodgers
16. Oakland Athletics
17. Philadelphia Phillies
18. Arizona Diamondbacks
19.Baltimore Orioles
20. Toronto Blue Jays
21. Seattle Mariners
22. Cincinatti Reds
23. Milwaukee Brewers
24. Houston Astros
25. Washington Nationals
26. Detroit Tigers
27. Pittsburgh Pirates
28. Tampa Bay D-Rays
29. Colorado Rockies
30. Kansas City Royals

Allow me to explain,
I think the strongest division this year is the NL East. So I pick Florida, New York, and Atlanta high, mostly because of pitching. I figure the weakest division is going to be the NL West, judging from last year's weak performance and a lack of real upgrades. So I don't really rank any of them high.

NL Central, I think the Cards gotta be the favorite, the Cubs have the next best team if the pitching stays healthy, the rest of the division seems strictly second tier.

AL West and East, I don't see anybody who really wants to knock Boston, New York and Anaheim off their perch, maybe texas, maybe Baltimore if they suddenly find pitching (not bloody likely).

As far as the AL Central. The Twins probably have the best 1-2 punch in the division in Santana and Radke, I just don't think that they have much after that. I think Silva was more lucky than good last year, Lohse had an ERA over 5 and Mays hasn't pitched in two years. I think both Cleveland and the Sox have good 1-2 punches themselves and have better back of the rotation guys to back them up. Both Cleveland and the Sox have much improved Bullpens (cleveland likely gets a full season of Wickman and Howry) and stronger lineups. Minnesota is going to miss Koskie more than they think, their only offensive improvement seems to be Morneau for a full season and maybe more of Mauer. We can lose Lee and probably still hit over 200 Hrs so I'm not worried about the power production and if Pods and Tad can set the table, I like our chances.