RP Chris Hammond
RP Rudy Seanez

Key offseason losses:
OF Jay Payton
OF Terrence Long
SP David Wells
RP Jay Witasick

General Outlook:
It was an interesting offseason for the Padres. They didn't really make any major moves, though there are some moves of interest. They swapped a couple aging pitchers and exchanged a little power in the outfield for more speed. They didn't have any big holes to fill. Their biggest hole was really their 5th starter spot. They added Darrell May in hopes that he can fill that spot. It wasn't a spectacular offseason, though at the same time they didn't suffer too much. They look to be on pace to contend for the division.

Possible starting lineup:
CF Dave Roberts
2B Mark Loretta
RF Brian Giles
1B Phil Nevin
LF Ryan Klesko
C Ramon Hernandez
SS Khalil Greene
3B Sean Burroughs

They have a solid lineup that they are tayloring to their ballpark. They're not going to be a big power team as long as the fences remain where they are in Petco. So rather than try to muscle the ball out, they're looking to just get players who can manufacture runs. They traded Payton to get Roberts, giving them a legitimate base stealing threat at the top of the lineup. Loretta is one of the best two hitters in baseball, but how many times will he be hitting with Roberts on. For all his speed, Roberts just doesn't get on base enough. The rest of their lineup is really solid. Giles and Nevin will put up their normal numbers. Klesko seemed to feel stronger towards the end of the season. As I've said before, I'm a big fan of Khalil Greene. It's a nice luxury to have him hitting in the 7th spot. The biggest issue here will be healthy. Roberts, Nevin and Klesko are all injury prone. The ability of those three to stay healthy and be productive will determine how competitive they can be.

Possibly starting pitching rotation:
Jake Peavy
Woody Williams
Brian Lawrence
Adam Eaton
Darrell May

Peavy proved himself as one of the best young pitchers in baseball last year. You have to like the way he starts off their rotation. They lost David Wells and replaced him with Woody Williams. Williams had a bit of a dropoff last year and at the age of 38, he's not likely to improve. But pitching in the spacious Petco Park will certainly help him. Lawrence and Eaton are decent in the middle of the order. They could have used a solid lefty to fill in the middle of the rotation. Someone like, say, David Wells. It's unfortunate for them that he's now a Red Sox. They traded for Darrell May to fill the 5th spot. If nothing else, he'll give them a lefty who can eat some innings. The problem is that he may give them nothing else. I'm sure the move to a pitcher friendly park will help May, but still, I expect the Padres to be looking for a left-handed, middle-of-the-rotation pitcher by the trading deadline. Good luck finding one. Their bullpen looks to be one of the best. A few years ago the Astros were able to turn 9-inning games into 6-inning games because of Lidge, Dotel and Wagner. Well, the Padres appear to have the same ability now with Linebrink, Otsuka and Hoffman. Add in a very solid lefty in Chris Hammond along with Rudy Seanez and this should be one of the best bullpens in baseball.

Overall Prediction:
1st place; 92-70

Player that will surprise:
SS Khalil Greene - Ok, ok, I'll admit it. I'm using this spot to plug my favorite young shortstop. He throws some leather and showed he can hit a little bit last year. I expect his offensive numbers to improve as well as his defense. I'll post it here so I can quote myself later, Khalil Greene will win a gold glove in 2005.

Player that will disappoint:
OF Dave Roberts - They're looking at him to be their true leadoff man, but I think they'll be letdown by Roberts. He's one of the best base stealers around. But for someone with his speed and base-stealing ability, he doesn't get on base enough to utilize it. They'll be missing Freddy Guzman at some point, assuming Guzman is lost for the season.

Discuss.

samram
03-10-2005, 11:17 PM
Wow, first place. I can see that. The Giants are old and their rotation is questionable, and the Dodgers, who I would like to see win that division, have four holes/ question marks in the lineup. I also think May could be all right in the park. IIRC, he gave up a lot of homer last year, and pitching in that park should really help him out. I think Peavy is going to have a great year (at least I hope he does since I have him on one of my fantasy teams).

PAPChiSox729
03-11-2005, 03:48 PM
Peavy is a very good pitcher and the bullpen is one of the best in the MLB. But I really don't see them topping the Giants this year. Next season will be a different story...

Baby Fisk
03-11-2005, 03:51 PM
I'm thinking the Giants are going to go for broke with the old team they have, but I wouldn't be shocked if the Friars snuck off with the West.