PDA

View Full Version : Where'd All The Power Go?

BRDSR
03-10-2005, 10:28 PM
Apparently homerun power has been replaced by double power:

The White Sox top the Majors with 24 doubles this spring.

(per whitesox.com)

Granted, the Sox have played one or two more games than most other teams so far this spring, but I think this is a telling statistic. It means we're getting the bat on the ball more and driving it hard somewhere, whether that be in the gaps or down the lines. If the Sox were 15th in the majors in homeruns but 1st in doubles, it could be a very successful offensive year.

There's also the adage that home runs kill rallies. Theres obvious flaws in that logic, but doubles do fit into small ball much better than home runs. The Sox scored 7 today without any home runs but four doubles(I think). So far I like the way this offense is producing. The starting pitching hasn't exactly been lights out this spring, the defense has made its share of spring errors, and Joey Cora and our baserunners aren't exactly in midseason form, but...I like the offensive direction this team is headed.

Daver
03-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Never underestimate the power of the Bing.

zach074
03-10-2005, 10:43 PM
I love doubles.:)

JUribe1989
03-10-2005, 10:47 PM
I'd be happier if we were hitting doubles all the time with runners on rather than last years trend of continuous swinging for the fences with nobody on.

rwcescato
03-10-2005, 10:57 PM
Apparently homerun power has been replaced by double power:

(per whitesox.com)

Granted, the Sox have played one or two more games than most other teams so far this spring, but I think this is a telling statistic. It means we're getting the bat on the ball more and driving it hard somewhere, whether that be in the gaps or down the lines. If the Sox were 15th in the majors in homeruns but 1st in doubles, it could be a very successful offensive year.

There's also the adage that home runs kill rallies. Theres obvious flaws in that logic, but doubles do fit into small ball much better than home runs. The Sox scored 7 today without any home runs but four doubles(I think). So far I like the way this offense is producing. The starting pitching hasn't exactly been lights out this spring, the defense has made its share of spring errors, and Joey Cora and our baserunners aren't exactly in midseason form, but...I like the offensive direction this team is headed.

Relax, Its March 10th. Back in the 70s and 80s we would barely know whats going on in spring training. I would not give any credence to anything until the last 14 games of ST.

Banix12
03-10-2005, 11:12 PM
Spring Training parks often have much deeper outfields, I think the field in Surprise where they played today is something like 350 down the lines. A lot of the times the doubles that bounce off the wall in spring training will be HR's in major league parks

BRDSR
03-10-2005, 11:17 PM
Relax, Its March 10th. Back in the 70s and 80s we would barely know whats going on in spring training. I would not give any credence to anything until the last 14 games of ST.

Oh, I'm relaxed. My comments were meant to highlight the success of our offense, not belittle the rest of our play.

MUsoxfan
03-11-2005, 01:40 AM
I've ALWAYS said I enjoy the excitement of a bases clearing double down the line more than a HR. It even excites me in ST